PDA

View Full Version : High prices in GF auction?

hairyangryfella
06-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Is it just me, or do most of the basketball jerseys in the auction that just closed seem to have sold pretty high??
I wouldn't go near most of them because of lack of true evidence, yet a lot of them went for around $2000 - eg Hardaway, Webber, Bogues, LJ, Mourning, plus the 3 Rockets jerseys (including the Olajuwon one which had a signature that didn't look real to me...) going up around $3000!!

Is it just that basketball is hot now, that people trust GF completely, managed to do thorough research, or is something more sinister (ie fake bids) at play here?

For the 2nd auction in a row I managed to photomatch the Garnett jersey and wanted it, but it went for what I thought was a crazy price too - $2600.

I'm just strolling through the results and am stunned at a lot of the prices. Stunned.

num1jrfan
06-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Is it just me, or do most of the basketball jerseys in the auction that just closed seem to have sold pretty high??
I wouldn't go near most of them because of lack of true evidence, yet a lot of them went for around $2000 - eg Hardaway, Webber, Bogues, LJ, Mourning, plus the 3 Rockets jerseys (including the Olajuwon one which had a signature that didn't look real to me...) going up around $3000!!

Is it just that basketball is hot now, that people trust GF completely, managed to do thorough research, or is something more sinister (ie fake bids) at play here?

For the 2nd auction in a row I managed to photomatch the Garnett jersey and wanted it, but it went for what I thought was a crazy price too - $2600.

I'm just strolling through the results and am stunned at a lot of the prices. Stunned.

yep all things are high there. makes me think they shill bid. had high bid 5 hours after they closed on giants pants but then someone got it, 5 hours thats dumb. and the other one griffey cleats. on one really bid, theyere were going for 4-600, i got out bid with a high bid of 1350? seriously redicouls.

ctguy212003
06-06-2013, 06:35 AM
I have been consigning with GF for years and every time I have I've been paid exactly what is owed to me. So if they were ghost bidding they would be paying out of there pocket. Makes no sense. Also with all the major auctions whatever season were in that sport sells for a preimum. I think the days of getting things cheap are done. The economy is slowly moving in the right direction

serrao72
06-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't know if they are ghost bidding but the prices are WAY high but i guess if someone really wants it.

I was looking at the Football Carolina Panthers Jonathan Stewart that had no paperwork and it sold for $1626. Its a $600 jersey on its best day and i wouldn't pay more than $300 for it with proper paperwork.

Phil316
06-06-2013, 09:51 AM
After doing some research on Grey Flannel using the search button on this forum I chose not to bid on any of their auctions. Even though I wanted a couple items. I will never give this company any of my money. They sell bogus items get called out for it and block members of GUU from bidding for this very reason.

jdr3
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
GFC gets the best basketball items in the industry, without question. The prices reflect bidders confidence in them.

MarlinsFan1993
06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing I slightly overpaid for the item I won, but could care less because it is my holiest of Holy Grails :D

num1jrfan
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing I slightly overpaid for the item I won, but could care less because it is my holiest of Holy Grails :D

oh oh what ya get?

MarlinsFan1993
06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
oh oh what ya get?

I got the 1997 Gary Sheffield Home Jersey.

num1jrfan
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I got the 1997 Gary Sheffield Home Jersey.

nice congrats

MarlinsFan1993
06-06-2013, 02:27 PM
nice congrats

Thanks man, will post pics on here as soon as I get it in.

slab0meat
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't know if they are ghost bidding but the prices are WAY high but i guess if someone really wants it.

I was looking at the Football Carolina Panthers Jonathan Stewart that had no paperwork and it sold for $1626. Its a $600 jersey on its best day and i wouldn't pay more than $300 for it with proper paperwork.

It appears it's a $1626 jersey on its best day.

serrao72
06-07-2013, 07:05 AM
It appears it's a $1626 jersey on its best day.

lol, i guess your right but $1626 for a backup, injury prone, non star running back on a small market team. Hmmmm

esquiresports
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I REALLY wanted the Mike Tyson championship belt. If I had the cash sitting around, I would have probably gone a little higher than the $29K it brought in, but I had to bow out. An amazing piece. I thought that was a pretty reasonable price, although it's difficult to price an item like this. Just my gut feeling.

skyliner59
06-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Hey Phil316 ditto. I don't understand why buyers purchase from this house. Many other reputable firms to choose from. The few transactions I have had from this group were all bad items going as fas as selling me two JD Drew jerseys as game used but shipped two 6200 retail and tryed to pass off as GU. Then after this "mistake", forced me to pay the return shipping in order to get my money back. Then banned me from future auctions as if I did something wrong. Oh Well>>>

Phil316
06-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Hey Phil316 ditto. I don't understand why buyers purchase from this house. Many other reputable firms to choose from. The few transactions I have had from this group were all bad items going as fas as selling me two JD Drew jerseys as game used but shipped two 6200 retail and tryed to pass off as GU. Then after this "mistake", forced me to pay the return shipping in order to get my money back. Then banned me from future auctions as if I did something wrong. Oh Well>>>

So many complaints on this forum about Grey Flannel passing off bogus items as game used yet people are lining up to give this company money. Not only that but evidence is provided in almost every case (there are several) that the items are fake but they still let the auctions run. All they do is ban people that question an items authenticity.

I was told by a prominent figure in the memorabilia industry them along with Coaches Corner's auctions are being watched by the FBI and authorities with very close eyes. All these companies better be aware that pissed off customers and potential customers are sick and tired of being taken for their hard earned money. Most whom care will stop doing business with them and already have. IMO and many others regardless of what you buy your supporting fraud by bidding/buying from those 2 companies.

Plenty of good auction sites are out there, Goldin auctions comes to mind and gets a lot of positive talk on here. You have to respect a company that interacts with its customers, listens to its customers, and treats all customers equal. I also like how they handle authentication.