PDA

View Full Version : Additional info on storing jerseys

jpipes
06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I have read a number of the posts here regarding storing jerseys and thought I would add the following for folks to consider.

For starters, reading that folks spray their jerseys with chemicals like frebreeze is rather shocking, since doing so will likely harm the jersey in the long run. Frebreeze is a chemical spray and spraying any chemical on a jersey will damage it long term.

The Container Store sells achival garment boxes and acid-free tissue paper to allow you to properly store your items. They also have a quick and helpful section on storing textiles (note that many articles refer to wedding dresses and the like, just replace textiles and gowns with jerseys and the results are the same - long term protection):

The term “archival quality” is a term used to designate materials or products that are permanent, durable, and/or chemically stable, and, therefore, can be safely used for preservation purposes. The objective of Archival Garment Storage (http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/clothingCare/archival) is to protect textiles from their two main enemies: the ultraviolet rays found in sunlight and acid from sources such as skin, wood and wood-based products (paper). Here are some tips for protecting your most cherished textiles.

For the utmost in protection for cherished wedding or christening gowns or heirloom textiles, use Garment Archival Storage boxes. They’re constructed from acid-free materials crafted into solid, secure boxes that resist dust, dirt and light infiltration. Our Garment Archival Boxes also include Acid-Free Tissue.

Before storing the item, have it professionally dry cleaned or laundered, paying special attention to sugar-based stains that, if left untreated, will attract insects and speed deterioration of the fibers containing the stain.
Stuff garments with Acid-Free Tissue to help retain the shape and prevent fiber breakage — be certain to stuff tissue in the arms of the garment as well. Completely wrap the entire surface area of the garment in Acid-Free Tissue as well so that no part is exposed. Remove cardboard inserts, bodices, and supports that can create strain on the fabric (and which contain acid that can yellow the fabric.) Be certain to get rid of any non-archival tissue paper.
For wedding gowns in particular, storing the veil in the box with the dress is acceptable, but the two must not touch each other. Plastic, wire and trim on the headpiece or veil could damage the gown. It’s best to store shoes and crinolines separately from the dress and veil to prevent damage.
Fold textiles such as tablecloths, napkins or quilts with Acid-Free Tissue between each layer, completely covering the exterior surface.The full article and rang of products is here:

http://www.containerstore.com/tip/closets/archclothing

Another site, Vintage Textile, has a very extensive article on storing textiles properly and safely that is totally appropriate for jersey collecting and very helpful:

http://www.vintagetextile.com/storage%20of%20Vintage%20clothing.htm

This site has a focus on antique textiles and clothing but again, most of this easily applies to jersey collecting as well, especially info about storage though most of our jerseys are partly or entirely made of man-made materials and being 25 years or newer (generally) have a lot of life left in them if properly stored:

http://www.archivalmethods.com/news/Textiles%20Archiving%20Methods/Preserving-antique-clothing-and-textiles$800576360.cfm

esquiresports
06-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the information. However, this generally strikes me as overkill (maybe for a five or six figure jersey, but otherwise not so sure). Does anyone have experience with paper contact damaging their jersey or other harmful products? If so, what is the effect? I don't recall seeing vintage jerseys where I thought to myself "oh, that jersey has been damaged by acid," but I may not know what I am looking at/what to look for. Personally, if I could not display my jerseys, I wouldn't collect them.

mbenga28
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I store my jerseys in muslin bags.

emann
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
+1

Unbleached muslin garment bags.

I also use padded muslin hangers to avoid the misshapen shoulders you get with some hangers for the more expensive or favorite jerseys (about a dozen or so). I use oversized white plastic hangers for the others (so they hold in a more natural shape) and will probably upgrade to muslin covered at some point.

Like many collectors here, I have too many jerseys to display at one time (I have a dedicated hanging rack), so this is the only way to somewhat ensure they stay in good shape. I hate to imagine keeping jerseys in plastic bags (probably the worst thing you could do).

All this said, I have jerseys that are unwashed from the field, so who knows how this will affect the jersey over time. I'm not going to wash them, I feel this sort of natural deterioration is a choice (and somewhat unavoidable). Kind of like the baseballs from the 80s that show age spots, not much you can do to avoid it from what I understand. But, I'd prefer not to CAUSE damage to the jerseys by display or improper storage if I can possibly avoid it.

Wrigley2010
06-07-2013, 02:35 AM
I always appreciate these kinds of posts. I keep all my jerseys in plastic bags some washed and some un-washed as that's how I received them from the team or seller. I have searched for a decent over-sized padded hanger that I felt would not harm my jersey in any way. I have yet to find one that gives me that piece of mind so the plastic bags are where they stay.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hanger that will keep my jerseys in the condition they are in now? Also, while I'd prefer to hang them in the closet for the time being I would also want them protected from damage caused by dust and such so what's the best way to combat that? I've looked in to dry cleaning bags but I'd be right back where I started with the plastic bags and may as well just keep them stored the way I am currently.

I know this topic has been beaten to death and I have researched it to death as well but I'm always looking for someone else's opinion/knowledge.

nevrdiez34
01-03-2015, 01:33 PM
+1

Unbleached muslin garment bags.

I also use padded muslin hangers to avoid the misshapen shoulders you get with some hangers for the more expensive or favorite jerseys (about a dozen or so). I use oversized white plastic hangers for the others (so they hold in a more natural shape) and will probably upgrade to muslin covered at some point.

Like many collectors here, I have too many jerseys to display at one time (I have a dedicated hanging rack), so this is the only way to somewhat ensure they stay in good shape. I hate to imagine keeping jerseys in plastic bags (probably the worst thing you could do).

All this said, I have jerseys that are unwashed from the field, so who knows how this will affect the jersey over time. I'm not going to wash them, I feel this sort of natural deterioration is a choice (and somewhat unavoidable). Kind of like the baseballs from the 80s that show age spots, not much you can do to avoid it from what I understand. But, I'd prefer not to CAUSE damage to the jerseys by display or improper storage if I can possibly avoid it.

I was just researching jersey storage and came across this post. Can anyone provide a link or example of muslin hangers they use?

Wrigley2010
01-03-2015, 04:16 PM
I was just researching jersey storage and came across this post. Can anyone provide a link or example of muslin hangers they use?

Here is a link that was provided to me by member Emann.

http://www.foster-stephens.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=660&DEPARTMENT_ID=38

nevrdiez34
01-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it!

nevrdiez34
02-13-2015, 11:27 PM
I am finally ready to upgrade my hangers, but I just want to ensure I am purchasing the right ones, emann, do you order the exact muslin gown hangers from the link Wrigley2010 provided? There are a lot of hanging options on that site, I just don't want to order the wrong product. Are there any other hangers members recommend?