PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wondered Where all the High End Game Used Items End Up?

greg678
05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Not looking for specific examples of items or collectors personal info (not my business), but I always wonder where all these higher end auction items end up.

Where does a $10000+ item end up? Do uniforms get sealed in plastic and stored in a climate controlled closets? Does a Cy Young award get displayed or put in a safe deposit box? Do collectors have mini museums in their homes for display? Do sports museums purchase items?

I also wonder how people can afford to purchase all these items that sell in these auctions? These sports auctions and there are many, can get 5 million dollars + total by the end! We do pretty well with a good household income (fortunately) ,but my jaw drops at all the dollars that get put towards these sports items.

Last time, not wanting to get in people's business or have people talk about other people's business, but do you ever wonder about where your "grail" item you couldn't afford ended up and how the person was able to afford it? Is it in a museum or storage?

Thanks, Game Used Universe is definitely a place to go for people who care about collecting!

ChiBosox05
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Wow....I don't even know where to begin, but I'll give you some examples:
Player...Steiner/UDA...team...charity...HOF...etc.

Some collectors with higher paying jobs = high end collectibles.

just my 3 cents (I didn't want to be too cheap):D

indyred
05-31-2013, 06:11 PM
I wonder what kind of display the big NBA collector who wins a lot from meigray NBA game worn auctions. They have been winning most of high end/special event game worn jerseys at times. I think one year the guy won every all star game jersey.

My guess is they have something similar to the famous Laker Shrine museum that this collector has, but on a much larger scale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjgKttYVec

greg678
05-31-2013, 11:20 PM
I wonder what kind of display the big NBA collector who wins a lot from meigray NBA game worn auctions. They have been winning most of high end/special event game worn jerseys at times. I think one year the guy won every all star game jersey.

My guess is they have something similar to the famous Laker Shrine museum that this collector has, but on a much larger scale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjgKttYVec

Wow! That is a nice mini museum. I like how he flew on a plane to go get some pieces and got to know the player also. I like to collect stories and not just shoes, shirts and hats.
I would like to someday reach out to players I enjoyed in the past and overpay them for their items, so they or their charities or families can benefit and I will know I get true items they used when they played, while meeting
them also. Awsome!
Thanks!

emann
06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
An art collector I worked for at one point bought an old bank as a third home, complete with 2 full size vaults, and retrofitted them to store his collections.

You know that 1% you always hear about? I'd assume more than a few are sports collectors and money is not an obstacle for them.

kudu
06-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately, this is where a few high end items end up:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t386/flawless-sports/100_2821.jpg

frikativ54
06-01-2013, 02:31 PM
You know that 1% you always hear about? I'd assume more than a few are sports collectors and money is not an obstacle for them.

That's been my impression of more than a few collectors on this site. Either some people spend all their extra money on memorabilia, or many collectors on here are extremely wealthy. Maybe, it's some of both.

indyred
06-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Game used collecting has a lot of collectors who keep very low profiles. They don't want to bring any attention to their collections and keep them very private.

Nnunnari
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Game used collecting has a lot of collectors who keep very low profiles. They don't want to bring any attention to their collections and keep them very private.

Yep- most of the very impressive collections I know about are owned by guys who don't share any of their stuff on here or any other outlet for that matter, which is completely understandable.

marino13
06-03-2013, 11:05 PM

I know a couple high-end collectors who ziplocked their game used and stored in cool/dry basement.

Still amaze how they tracked everything.