PDA

View Full Version : 34th Annual National Sports Collectors Convention

bravesfanjd
05-25-2013, 01:24 PM
The Tickets went on sale yesterday and boy are they expensive

I was thinking of flying to Chicago to get Chipper to sign some stuff but his prices are crazy high. $300 to sign anything game used. $149 the cheapest he has. I really regret not getting him to sign a couple more items when I had the chance

Also Randy Johnson won't sign a jersey unless 5 other signatures are on it

I always assumed because my generation of players were already rich that they would either have high prices with big signs that all the money was going to charity or that their prices would be lower because they don't need the money

Anybody else have opinions?

toddhead
05-25-2013, 08:02 PM
I seriously can't understand the Randy Johnson thing... can anyone explain that to me? Five other people? Huh?

ChiBosox05
05-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Are you referring to the Tristar show? I usually go to those conventions in Rosement. Tristar is usually more expensive than the Sun-times shows, but better organized.
The way I see it is this: I'd much rather pay for a hall of famer from the past than the ones from my generation such as the big unit, chipper, maddux, etc. Legends like F. Robinson, Bob Gibson, Ripken are half the price and are actually fan friendlier than the stars of the 90's and this generation. I'd rather pay for a photo and ball than 1 ball from the big unit or Chipper...but this is just me.

Preston
05-26-2013, 08:34 PM
So who all's going? I for one will be there. Not sure if I'll be getting any autographs but it depends on the discount for having a dealer pass, which I'll have one.

Speaking of Chipper I really really hope to get him for free this coming weekend in Nashville, as he's speaking at an event next Saturday.

bravesfanjd
05-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Are you referring to the Tristar show?

Yes I am referring to the tristar show.

Here is the link for the prices if people are interested

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/tickets.html

I also find it interesting that Rickey Henderson won't sign any type of base Maybe someone who has worked or has organized autograph shows can maybe shed light on why players have such restrictions and whether it is their agent or them who comes up with what they will sign

Also I can't wait to hear how the players do in terms of people in their lines

sportsnbikes
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Tri-Star, Steiner, MLB and any other like them are all over priced. IMHO. There are plenty of ways to get an autograph of player without paying their ridiculous prices. I mean, if you have the money great. But not all of us sports fans/memorabilia collectors can afford to have Filet Mignon and Don Perignon every time it looks or sounds good.

I will go to the stadium and wait for hours to get an autograph before paying. So far, the only one I haven't gotten that I went to get was Jeter. I've gotten ARod, Clemens, Bonds, Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Pettite, Posada, Beltran, Varitek, Rivera, Miguel Cabrera, Fielder along with MANY others. Does it look as good as the paid for signature? No in many cases. I'd much rather have a free signature than pay a ton for one that is a little nicer.

Just my 2 pennies...

sportsnbikes
05-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Hey BravesfanJD, see if you can find one of these very rare OYO figures at the National. They were only made for AS game players.

ChiBosox05
05-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Well it depends. At those conventions, it's usually the only chance to get hall of famers. Trust me I would never pay for current players especially the outrages prices they command.
On the other hand, it actually sounds cheaper at a convention for some players. Here at Comiskey, it costs about $30 to be able to go to the lower level...to get autographs. So, if you were to go to a 3 game series and a specific player signs on the 3rd day, it would've cost you $90 plus food, parking, etc. At the unfriendly confines, the tickets prices are insane to get anywhere near the dugout....your only hope would be if players signed outside.
Looks like you've had tons of luck. No luck with Pujols and Jeter here. I've tried for years with those 2. In my years of collecting, I've never seen bonds sign...but that's just me.

bravesfanjd
05-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Hey BravesfanJD, see if you can find one of these very rare OYO figures at the National. They were only made for AS game players.

Thats awesome if I end up going I will look for it for you

tella27
06-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Shows are getting more common and prices are getting higher.. Its a shame that we are paying more for autos that are going down in value..

frikativ54
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Shows are getting more common and prices are getting higher.. Its a shame that we are paying more for autos that are going down in value..

Yeah, this is why I pretty much limit myself to IP autos at games and free signings at FanFest. The one exception I make is if I want a nice, personalized autograph on a photo of myself and an athlete.

helf35
07-14-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm going Sunday to get clemens I hate myself for paying $299 but I'm getting a game issued bat signed and for me it will be my only chance. Ripken will be taking posed pics for free with anyone buying an autograph from him so that would be cool. I'm thinking of taking my son for that.