PDA

View Full Version : Had my 1st bat stolen from USPS

dangerzone79
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Today is a bad day. For the 1st time in my young bat collecting career, I have had a bat stolen form me. Today I received an empty tube for a 2004 Doug Mientkiewicz bat, but the COA was still inside. Stamps on the box say it was received UNSEALED but I'm not sure when that was stamped on there. The bat came from Minnesota to California. Trying to get USPS on the phone hasn't proved very easy. The sender also did NOT insure the bat. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever lost a bat & had them find it? Anyone ever gotten JUST the tube delivered?!?!

Desi
05-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I used to play of lot of competitive softball and there were message boards for softball players to trade and sell bats. The average softball bat was $300.

Read about too many stories about empty bat tubes. Either the seller was duping the buyer, or the shipper got a hold of the bat. I"ve seen where pipes replaced the bats as well....sad but true.

If the buyer didn't pay for insurance, that he was SOL. The seller did his part and sent the bat...he would have proof he sent the bat. What happened inbetween would fall on the shipper, and in most cases, nothing came about it.

Hope you receive better news and a better outcome than I'm telling you.

-Desi

spartakid
05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
I actually have to disagree, I feel as though it is the seller's responsibility to insure the bat and make sure it gets to the buyer. Granted the buyer should pay for the insurance which is why I include it in my shipping quote and always insure anything I sell. Just my .02

hairyangryfella
05-22-2013, 11:02 PM
I have a mantra that "anything of value being delivered in a way other than personally by myself, must be insured".

How did you pay for it? If you used paypal you should be covered with an 'item not as described' case. If you used a credit card you could possibly file a chargeback. If you paid by any other method you might be out of luck.

Have you contacted the seller and asked them to start an investigation? How they sent it?

I feel terrible for you and hope that you can find a solution.

Melissa1334
05-22-2013, 11:21 PM
i just had 2 bats shipped to me by usps also and they came in a usps priority shipping (long) box. they left the box outside my door. both ends had tape but on one end it was completely open, i could see the bats. the usps delivery person clearly looked to see what was inside(gordon beckham, alex rios bats). no way they could have been shipped that way by the seller and also not fallen out. luckily the person didnt take them but its ridiculous. also had a very fishy situation with a stanton auto card i was supposed to get, it simply had to be dropped off in the mail box and when i looked at the tracking it said notice left. there was never a notice and no need for a notice to be left. usps didnt know what happend to the card and i never got it:rolleyes:

BamaHater
05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Hate to say it but what to you expect from government workers. It's sad but there are some employees with no morals and they don't care. I'm in no way saying everyone with USPS is that way but a few bad apple spoils it for the rest of them.

dangerzone79
05-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I paid through PayPal so I will file a claim. The seller is communicating very well but all he can do is swear that he sent it. I'm going to go to my post office tomorrow to speak to someone. Such a bummer.

Phil316
05-23-2013, 02:40 AM
Speaking of USPS I have noticed that the Chicago hub seems to be where it all goes south.

I have shipped a few things through Chicago and it gets scanned out for delivery then that is it. Next day I check tracking it says delivery status not updated. The items never got marked delivered.

num1jrfan
05-23-2013, 03:07 AM
i had $2500 in motorcyce parts and camera gear taken out of the box. they sent the postage back said i can get a refund for that. but the USPS dont relly help. unless you can find someone who is reselling it.

BHawk
05-23-2013, 06:07 AM
The seller should have a reciept with the weight marked on it. If they can send you a copy with the full weight marked on it, you know it was USPS that took it. It's not like a bat would fall out and not be noticed.

cohibasmoker
05-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Today is a bad day. For the 1st time in my young bat collecting career, I have had a bat stolen form me. Today I received an empty tube for a 2004 Doug Mientkiewicz bat, but the COA was still inside. Stamps on the box say it was received UNSEALED but I'm not sure when that was stamped on there. The bat came from Minnesota to California. Trying to get USPS on the phone hasn't proved very easy. The sender also did NOT insure the bat. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever lost a bat & had them find it? Anyone ever gotten JUST the tube delivered?!?!

It my take some work on your end but instead of calling USPS,

1) Get a statement from the Seller that he did enclose the bat;
2) Take the statement and packaging and go "in-person" to your local Post Office and after that,
3) Go to your local Police Department. Take the Seller's statement, packaging and scans of the bat and file a stolen property report. The Police should place the bat into the NCIC/SCIC computer system and if the bat shows up, you can contact the Police.

Just some ideas,

Jim

helmets
05-23-2013, 07:21 AM
I have been shipping football helmets and other sports gear including bats through UPS for the last 19 years with very very few problems. I have started shipping smaller items - facemasks, mini helmets, jerseys, etc through USPS in the last couple of years using their on-line label service. i have had more issues in the last two years using USPS than all of the other years using UPS. Additionally, within the last six months I have had two packages show up empty from purchases that I had bought through ebay. Both were from USPS, both were opened, and luckily, both were stamped from the post office that the contents was missing. Nothing is worse than emailing the seller and telling him/her that you received their package but it was empty. You feel like a scammer. That is the reason I was thankful for the stamps on the outside of the package to send a photo to the seller. Both times the seller refunded me immediately without me having to file a claim through paypal. It sucks for both the seller and the buyer. Any more if I purchase an expensive item that cannot be replaced, I am requesting that the seller use UPS, even if I have to pay a bit more.

dangerzone79
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
The seller should have a reciept with the weight marked on it. If they can send you a copy with the full weight marked on it, you know it was USPS that took it. It's not like a bat would fall out and not be noticed.

My thought EXACTLY! Gonna check the weight & see what's up.

CampWest
05-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I had a similar issue last week. I have shipped over a thousand collectibles and only previously had one or two issues of loss or damage. I have likewise received nearly a thousand packages with only a couple of lost or damaged. My personal policy had always been to insure anything i am shipping worth $50 or more. I never have had an item not get delivered on either side that was insured. All of my losses have come on uninsured packages. But based on the fact I've probably spent thousands on insurance for shipped packages, with next to no incidents, I decided to change my shipping insurance threshold to $100.

Lo and behold the 4th package I ship uninsured winds up undeliverable. It was sold for $76. I have always printed my postage electronically and heavily taped my printed postage to the package. The USPS claims my package did not have proper address or return address and so my package was sent to "Mail Recovery Center". Now whats funny is my package made it three checkpoints before it became undeliverable and the big kicker is the tracking information is still on the package as USPS confirms they have tracked the package all the way into the Mail Recovery Center. So, somebody had to have intentionally destroyed the address label partially and only where the address is located.

I used the tracking number to file a stop delivery return to sender request, but it fails because the package was marked "return to sender". Duh. Nobody will give out the Mail Recovery Center contact info. And when I get routed through to somebody who "wants" to help, they claim they do not know how to get to the Mail Recovery people and the supervisor is out.

Now, I do see that the Mail Recovery Center opens these packages and destroys anything they consider to be worth less than $25. Anything they feel is worth more than that, they sell at auction and keep the proceeds. So, yes... The USPS profits off losing packages.

Ridiculous.

jppopma
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
It my take some work on your end but instead of calling USPS,

1) Get a statement from the Seller that he did enclose the bat;
2) Take the statement and packaging and go "in-person" to your local Post Office and after that,
3) Go to your local Police Department. Take the Seller's statement, packaging and scans of the bat and file a stolen property report. The Police should place the bat into the NCIC/SCIC computer system and if the bat shows up, you can contact the Police.

Just some ideas,

Jim

Just curious on what OAN the police would use to enter the bat into NCIC? They don't have any serial number's per se to track.

CampWest
05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
If anyone comes across this Eric Hosmer, let me know...

Masimen
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Hate to say it but what to you expect from government workers. It's sad but there are some employees with no morals and they don't care. I'm in no way saying everyone with USPS is that way but a few bad apple spoils it for the rest of them.

Not trying to pick a fight by any means, but the first sentence of this statement is a bit ignorant, gramatical and punctuation errors not withstanding. It's rather insulting to government workers, which I am not. Anyone who has been on this board for any amount of time knows that bats have also gone missing from UPS on more than a few occasions. I don't think being a government employee makes one more likely to be a thief or morally corrupt.

Dan, bummer on the bat!!! I hope it turns up.

toddhead
05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Not trying to pick a fight by any means, but the first sentence of this statement is a bit ignorant, gramatical and punctuation errors not withstanding. It's rather insulting to government workers, which I am not. Anyone who has been on this board for any amount of time knows that bats have also gone missing from UPS on more than a few occasions. I don't think being a government employee makes one more likely to be a thief or morally corrupt.

+1 and I AM a government employee...

BamaHater
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Sorry for my comments I made. I did not mean to say anything to sound ignorant or put anyone down. Stuff get stolen or lost in the mail all the time whether it be USPS,FedEx, or UPS. I just wanted to clarify and let everyone know I'm a sorry of my comments. I do hope they are able to find the bat. Not sure what I'd do if I were on the receiving end of something stole in the mail.

BostonSportsFan
05-24-2013, 11:19 PM
I once had a Carl Yaz bat disappear that was being shipped to Chicago I believe at the time via UPS. This was many years ago prior to the game used business exploding to what it has become today. As others have noted the shipping tube was cut open and the contents were missing upon arrival at its destination or at least that is what the buyer claimed and I have no reason to doubt him as he and I go way way back and are on very solid ground today.

I do wonder now if potential thieves see these bat shipping tubes being sent and target them knowing exactly what they are.

I often worry when I send a bat of high value to JT or Troy at MEARS to the point that I almost never ship anything of value any longer to them, and make it a point of dropping off to their locations when needed rather than ship as it is not as simple as insuring very rare game used bats but simply they are somewhat irreplaceable items.

I wish the person that had their bat swiped the very best in recovery efforts very unfortunate that this happens. Unfortunately these bat tubes stick out like a sore thumb compared to say shipping a jersey in a basic USPS priority box. This does make me wonder if those of a dishonest nature target this item.

Joe

cohibasmoker
05-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Just curious on what OAN the police would use to enter the bat into NCIC? They don't have any serial number's per se to track.

An item does NOT have to have a serial number to be identified. Do diamond rings have serial numbers? In this case, there are several identifiers on the bat to make it unique - pine tar, ball marks and model number. When entering the item into the system, just enter the identifiers into the narrative of the item and the bat can be entered.

Jim

commando
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
I do virtually all my shipping through the Postal Service. After sending and receiving thousands of packages these past several years, I finally had a problem last week. A jersey I purchased through eBay said the item was "delivered" on the tracking status. The very next day, I took a copy of the tracking info to my local post office and spoke with the customer service rep. I don't know the details, but all I know is I had my jersey in my hands the following day.

I have never had to file an insurance claim, thank God, but I usually insure packages worth around $150 or more.

Also keep in mind that the postal inspectors are a valuable tool within the Postal Service, and have the authority to conduct full police investigations regarding any aspect of internal or external mail delivery matters. Most scammers know to avoid the USPS like the plague.... Regarding internal Post Office theft, postal employees know the dire consequences if they get caught stealing mail, probably much more so than FedEx or UPS employees.

Wrigley2010
05-26-2013, 10:52 PM
I worked for UPS for nearly 7 years in both the sorting facility and delivery's. There was one occasion where an employee was caught stealing. He was arrested on the spot and charged with felony mail fraud. Regardless of the carrier USPS, FedEx or UPS mail fraud is still mail fraud. This was a very rare occurrence and I was told it was the first time someone had been caught for internal theft in 10 years. Keep in mind employees are subject to search and go through scanners and security much the same as at an airport. So I would find it unlikely someone could get a bat out of a mail facility but I wouldn't rule it completely out.

Where I would be the most suspicious would be while it's being delivered. Not necessarily the delivery driver but someone tampering with the package after it had been delivered. While delivering for UPS every Xmas season we would get messages to look out for suspicious vehicles as peoples packages were being taken/opened after they had been delivered. It happened a lot! UPS delivery drivers and most USPS employees make a good living and would not want to risk losing their job and pension by stealing. Just my two cents... I truly hope you get your bat and that those involved suffer the consequences for their actions.

dangerzone79
05-27-2013, 02:38 AM
I worked for UPS for nearly 7 years in both the sorting facility and delivery's. There was one occasion where an employee was caught stealing. He was arrested on the spot and charged with felony mail fraud. Regardless of the carrier USPS, FedEx or UPS mail fraud is still mail fraud. This was a very rare occurrence and I was told it was the first time someone had been caught for internal theft in 10 years. Keep in mind employees are subject to search and go through scanners and security much the same as at an airport. So I would find it unlikely someone could get a bat out of a mail facility but I wouldn't rule it completely out.

Where I would be the most suspicious would be while it's being delivered. Not necessarily the delivery driver but someone tampering with the package after it had been delivered. While delivering for UPS every Xmas season we would get messages to look out for suspicious vehicles as peoples packages were being taken/opened after they had been delivered. It happened a lot! UPS delivery drivers and most USPS employees make a good living and would not want to risk losing their job and pension by stealing. Just my two cents... I truly hope you get your bat and that those involved suffer the consequences for their actions.

I totally appreciate the insight. It makes a lot of sense, but the ONLY reason I don't think it was someone else is because the empty tube was sitting at my door, and the lid from the tube was missing as well as any extra tape or packing material (paper or bubble wrap) & my feeling is that if someone was going to take it, they would just take the entire package, not risk being caught opening it & going through the hassle of cutting the tape & blah blah blah. You know what I mean?

Misha
05-27-2013, 08:40 AM
I live in Tokyo, Japan and here if anything doesn't fit in your mailbox they ring your doorbell. If there is no answer then they leave a note and you can then call the number and specify a date and time for re-delivery. This is for all mail, not just registered/insured stuff.

However, I usually buy things in the States and get them delivered to my parent's house. I have to tell my folks to watch out for a certain delivery lest it get stolen from the doorstep. I'm shocked how packages are just dumped in front of the house without even a ring. Is it that difficult for delivery staff to ring a bell? I'm sure there are crooked delivery staff here and there, but I suspect most thefts are from people who look out for these packages sitting out as clear as day.

Wrigley2010
05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I totally appreciate the insight. It makes a lot of sense, but the ONLY reason I don't think it was someone else is because the empty tube was sitting at my door, and the lid from the tube was missing as well as any extra tape or packing material (paper or bubble wrap) & my feeling is that if someone was going to take it, they would just take the entire package, not risk being caught opening it & going through the hassle of cutting the tape & blah blah blah. You know what I mean?

You're right it does seem very illogical for some to not take the whole bat tube. Do you know if the seller actually went to a USPS facility or if he just had the bat picked up at his home? If the latter is the case then this would be sufficient cause for someone to possibly open the package and remove it's contents while leaving the package there. I'm just throwing possibilities out there.

I spoke with my mom who worked for USPS for 30 years and just recently retired. She told me that it would actually be relatively easy to get a package contents out of the sorting facility but some facility's would be more difficult than others. I was very surprised by this. She also told me that it wasn't uncommon for items to be in the lost and found for a year or more before they were found/claimed. Going to your USPS facility or calling and requesting a tracer on your package would be a good start to hopefully finding this bat. They can check every facility the package went through and see if there's a bat in the lost n found.

jppopma
06-10-2013, 10:11 PM
An item does NOT have to have a serial number to be identified. Do diamond rings have serial numbers? In this case, there are several identifiers on the bat to make it unique - pine tar, ball marks and model number. When entering the item into the system, just enter the identifiers into the narrative of the item and the bat can be entered.

Jim

Not looking to argue, but for the sake of getting people's hopes up NCIC requires there to be unique identification numbers. When doing a query, you run articles by S/N or OAN and it will give you hits on items with similar numbers. Within the same department, yes you can identify characteristics but they can't be quantified. Also to answer your question, no we do not enter jewelry into NCIC unless it has identifying numbers laser etched into them.

From the NCIC Operating Manual and NCIC Code Manual: ARTICLE FILE Stolen articles that can be identified by manufacturers' serial numbers or by unique owner-applied numbers, which do not meet the criteria of any other NCIC hot file, shall be entered into the NCIC Article file.

Maybe there are other databases in other states, or maybe all of the departments I have worked for are wrong....just don't want anyone going to their police departments and giving them crap when they are told that there is only so much that can be done.