PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Orasco NY Mets game used bat ebay 230985122132

bgold
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Is this legitimate? Have there been others like this example?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jesse-Orasco-NY-Mets-game-used-bat-/230985122132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c7c94154

d4347
05-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Probably not good since Jesse spells his last name OROSCO.

TNTtoys
05-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Looks like an error bat to me. I have seen another error bat of Jesse's with his last name spelled as "GROSCO" on the barrel.

TNTtoys
05-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Fellow forum moderator David Louie pointed out that the bat could not be from Orosco's Mets years because his last year in a Mets uniform was 1987 and MLB didn't start stamping team names onto barrels until 1990.

Which had me wonder... how is this bat possible... So I took a better look at the knob markings, and the bat is clearly from 2000. I then looked at baseball reference and found a very interesting tidbit of info...

On Dec 10, 1999, the Mets traded Chuck McElroy to Baltimore for none other than Jesse Orosco! He was to take a Mets uniform 13 seasons later... but this eventually never happened, as Orosco was promptly traded to St. Louis prior to the start of the 2000 season, for Joe McEwing. I suppose that this bat was ordered sometime within those few months in which Orosco was part of the Mets roster...

but I do wonder how they would make such a silly mistake... I am sure that by that point in his career, Orosco had been using Rawlings bats for 2 decades!

bgold
05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Fellow forum moderator David Louie pointed out that the bat could not be from Orosco's Mets years because his last year in a Mets uniform was 1987 and MLB didn't start stamping team names onto barrels until 1990.

Which had me wonder... how is this bat possible... So I took a better look at the knob markings, and the bat is clearly from 2000. I then looked at baseball reference and found a very interesting tidbit of info...

On Dec 10, 1999, the Mets traded Chuck McElroy to Baltimore for none other than Jesse Orosco! He was to take a Mets uniform 13 seasons later... but this eventually never happened, as Orosco was promptly traded to St. Louis prior to the start of the 2000 season, for Joe McEwing. I suppose that this bat was ordered sometime within those few months in which Orosco was part of the Mets roster...

but I do wonder how they would make such a silly mistake... I am sure that by that point in his career, Orosco had been using Rawlings bats for 2 decades!

Nick, great detective work there, knew Orosco was dealt to the Mets and then dealt away before the season, just did not think it was a 2000 bat (totally missed the 00 stamping on the handle). Still, very odd with the spelling error and the fact that the seller himself mixes up orosco and orasco several times. Also, someone used this bat, whether it was in SP of 2000 or in this "league" that the owner knew a person who knew Orosco's son; too many things going on here...who really knows.