PDA

View Full Version : Jason Varitek Catchers Gear Set - Need Help Photomatching

Beckster24
05-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi all purchasing this from a seller

They said its used between 2004 and 2006 but I am not sure if that is accurate, I think its a lot earlier on as we see Tek with different chest protector later on in his career, could possibly be a practice one too

Any help would be appreciated, any high res photos to try match it would be awesome too, thanks

Really like the mask it has a lot of wear on it, notice it has a chip on it too which may assist in matching it but need very high res photos

Thanks

Beck

Mulligans
05-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Becky....Does the mask show signs of use such as heavy sweat on the leather or staining from dirt? The photos make it look like it is new. Even the name TEK looks awfully fresh in sharpie. It looks like the cage is far more banged up than the rest of the mask but that could just because we can't see the inside?

I would think a mask would show some heavy inside use, even in limited play.

Beckster24
05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Becky....Does the mask show signs of use such as heavy sweat on the leather or staining from dirt? The photos make it look like it is new. Even the name TEK looks awfully fresh in sharpie. It looks like the cage is far more banged up than the rest of the mask but that could just because we can't see the inside?

I would think a mask would show some heavy inside use, even in limited play.

I don't know I have only seen these photos so can't verify that I am still paying for the items, i asked for more photos seeing I am paying a fair bit for it, just wish i had won the ones on ebay now as they were much nicer and mlb authenticated too

Beckster24
05-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Found this photo from gettyimages its from 13 Aug 2002, looks similar style to the mask ?

Beckster24
05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
On a more positive note was doing some image searching and came across this classic photo of 2004 World Series noticed the shin guards Tek is wearing look like the same style as the ones I am purchasing, also note the shin guards in the picture of Tek Arod brawl........

Beckster24
05-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Here is another photo of the Mask, inside view

dangerzone79
05-29-2013, 05:40 PM
I suggest you ask Soxbats on this forum. He is an avid Boston catchers gear collector & has MANY Tek items. He may be able to help you out.

Beckster24
06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Soxbats couldn't help :(

I suggest you ask Soxbats on this forum. He is an avid Boston catchers gear collector & has MANY Tek items. He may be able to help you out.

soxbats
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry that I could not help you with a hi res photo match that you emailed me about, but that type of photography is not something that i or most collectors have access to.

However, A few sugestions that might help. First you need to figure out the year of the gear. Looking over 4-6 years of photographs of varitek is an immense task for anyone. second do a search for photomatching resources on this site, there are some great threads with websites that have pictures. I also recall a site devoted only to varitek that had tons of photos from fans which may still be active. Third, take the time to do the research. There is no secret to photomatching, it is simply hard work that anyone can do if they have the patience. It may take many hours to scour all the databases. Fourth, be realistic. This site has many examples of awesome photomatches but many are off MLB TV from gear that has MLB authentication to a date. Having that date makes photomatching MUUUCH easier and it makes those photomatching look like expert photomatchers.

Photo matching is much more about failure than success. Frankly, for gear I focus more on usage and style than trying to find a photomatch needle in a haystack. A catcher might use 4 to 8 sets of gear in a year and some of that might never be the subject of a photo. Does the gear reflect typical use? Pine tar, scrapes, etc. Can you style match it? How did the person you buy it from acquire it?

Good luck

Beckster24
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
The shin guards look the same style used in the 2004 WS. I feel the mask and chest protector were used anywhere from 2000 - 2006 even so that is still a long way off finding a match I will keep looking, the seller I purchased this from ( an in process of paying it off) said it was used 2004 - 2006, thanks

Beckster24
06-05-2013, 02:49 AM
Found a possible match for the chest protector

Here is a photo I found from gettyimages, from Jun 07, 2001

Shame can't get a much higher res version of it, anyone able to help please?

Like to know what others think about this I am pretty happy though

Beckster24
06-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Hi all was having another look on gettyimages, and did a search for 1998 and 1999 found these images, think its a possible match the Varitek Catchers Mask