PDA

View Full Version : GF Larry Bird Jersey

serrao72
05-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm a big Bird fan and would love to own a real Jersey but after reading so many issues with GF auctions im a little scared to take their word on something.

Can someone who knows this era of basket ball jerseys look and give me the odds of this being legit.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=30150&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=3&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=18&seo=1989-90-Larry-Bird-Boston-Celtics-Game-Used-Road-Jersey-with-%e2%80%9cFollow-Through%e2%80%9d-Armband

serrao72
05-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Also are they saying that the autograph on the jersey is not legit or are they talking about the arm band?

Phil316
05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
The autograph is not real. I cannot comment on the jersey itself but the autograph is not signed by Larry Bird himself.

serrao72
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
ewww, if the autograph is fake then the odds are the jersey isn't legit. Who in their right mind would fake an autograph on a legit bird jersey.

Thanks!

Phil316
05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Definition of a clubhouse signature according to PSA

"For clarification, clubhouse autographs are those that were made by a bat boy, ball boy or other clubhouse attendant for a particular team. It was very common for team employees to forge player autographs on team signed baseballs. In many cases, while many of the autographs on a baseball may indeed be authentic, some player autographs may be of the clubhouse variety due to player unavailability, etc."

Obviously that applies to not only baseballs and not only in the sport of baseball.

Phil316
05-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Also for got this as well

"While clubhouse signatures will be identified on the PSA/DNA letters of authenticity, they may not hinder the overall grade of a baseball since their existence is fairly common and the autographs were not forged in a malicious manner. Severity and eye-appeal may be factors but, generally speaking, the grader approaches clubhouse autographs as if they did not exist on the baseball.

serrao72
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I personally feel that if the jersey is legit, a club house sig would ruin it.

In my eyes no sig is better than a fake/clubhouse sig on a GW item.

Phil316
05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I could not agree more.

sox83cubs84
05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
it's a shame...the jersey, based on the photos only, looks good. I'm not big on signed GU jerseys, although I would take one if I liked it. But at least let the autograph be as good as the jersey.

Dave Miedema

mickeymbz
05-21-2013, 11:56 PM
it's a shame...the jersey, based on the photos only, looks good. I'm not big on signed GU jerseys, although I would take one if I liked it. But at least let the autograph be as good as the jersey.

Dave Miedema

is there anyway to get a sharpie signature removed from a jersey? especially a darker one as this?

trsent
05-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Generally, when PSA/DNA is discussing "clubhouse" variety signatures and how they affect the grade of an item, I'll assume they are talking about vintage 1950's - 1960's team signed baseballs as often the stars didn't sign the balls being passed around the locker room as a bat boy would often sign it for them.

This is how the term "clubhouse" really started. It happened a lot in the Michael Jordan era that game used shoes and other items would come right from the locker room with a questionable Michael Jordan signature.

I wouldn't be surprised if this jersey has a similar history.

As for removing the signature, I doubt it will come off easily or cleanly. If I owned the jersey I'd send the jersey to Schwartz Sports Memorabilia http://www.schwartzsportsmemorabilia.com/shop.aspx?flag=Category&criteria=569 and have Larry sign the number on the reverse side and frame it with the tags folded up on the corner like this: