PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Authentications - Is it worth it?

CatcherSwag28
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Looking for opinions on having more than one authentication on game used items. If you have a GU item that is MLB authenticated and can match it to a specific game used by the player either by photo matching or the MLB authentication noting the date/game it was used/worn in, is there a benefit in paying the money to have another authentication (PSA, Mears, etc) in case you decide to sell it in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

esquiresports
05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
My personal opinion is the extra expense most likely outweighs the potential benefit. MLB suffices for me. MLB + photomatch is more than enough for me.

onlyalbert
05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Looking for opinions on having more than one authentication on game used items. If you have a GU item that is MLB authenticated and can match it to a specific game used by the player either by photo matching or the MLB authentication noting the date/game it was used/worn in, is there a benefit in paying the money to have another authentication (PSA, Mears, etc) in case you decide to sell it in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There can be nothing better than a photomatch. It's usually free and cannot be refuted. MLB auth can have errors, misinformation, or be vague in description....such as team issued. Third party authenticators...you are just paying for someone's opinion which can cost an arm and a leg and, quite frankly, can be absolutely wrong. Lots of bats out there that are bad but someone says they are legit so what do you do? Can't beat a photomatch!

CatcherSwag28
05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
There can be nothing better than a photomatch. It's usually free and cannot be refuted. MLB auth can have errors, misinformation, or be vague in description....such as team issued. Third party authenticators...you are just paying for someone's opinion which can cost an arm and a leg and, quite frankly, can be absolutely wrong. Lots of bats out there that are bad but someone says they are legit so what do you do? Can't beat a photomatch!

But does adding a third party auth to the MLB auth and photo match increase the value enough (or even at all) to make it worth the added cost?

Cubsfan4life
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
But does adding a third party auth to the MLB auth and photo match increase the value enough (or even at all) to make it worth the added cost?

Honestly I think it's just waste of money. MLB authentication is better than any 3rd party authenticator even with its errors, and MLB authenticated items usually sell for the most.

Wrigley2010
05-10-2013, 01:57 AM
I personally believe the MLB authentication is better than any third party authentication. With that being said there is a group of collectors who will pay a steep premium for something that has PSA's sticker on it. I think the only way this makes sense is if the item is "high end", has a high profit margin and is going to be sold at auction. Just my two cents which sometimes requires change...