PDA

View Full Version : Getting Game Used Jersey's Signed

toddhead
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
So, I picked up a my first baseball game used jersey and I have the opportunity coming up to have the player sign they jersey. I just want to get some opinions from the forum on the matter. Does getting a gamer signed hurt or enhance the jersey in your opinion? Personally, I don’t mind the ones that have the jersey number signed, but I do not like it when the signature is directly on the jersey fabric… seems out of place to me.

Your thoughts?

simmo2332
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
I believe there are two thoughts on this matter:

1. Some collectors like the items exactly as is. How they came off the field or from the team matters to them.

2. Some collectors love getting every game used item they have signed/inscribed, etc. It adds to the item in some people's eyes.

I do not think it adds or hurts the item unless you are trying to move it ultimately.

I have done both in the past. I love getting game used bats signed/inscribed but I am a little hesitant on jerseys. I however, did ultimately get my 2012 Todd Frazier gamer signed/inscribed and love it as it will never leave my collection.

"To each their own."

Neely8
05-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I hate signed jerseys and have passed on some if I was certain the autograph couldn't be removed.

simmo2332
05-08-2013, 10:50 AM

1. Some collectors like the items exactly as is. How they came off the field or from the team matters to them.

2. Some collectors love getting every game used item they have signed/inscribed, etc. It adds to the item in some people's eyes.

I do not think it adds or hurts the item unless you are trying to move it ultimately.

I have done both in the past. I love getting game used bats signed/inscribed but I am a little hesitant on jerseys. I however, did ultimately get my 2012 Todd Frazier gamer signed/inscribed and love it as it will never leave my collection.

"To each their own."

This.

Samets
05-08-2013, 10:52 AM

"To each their own."

Agreed! I will buy a gamer with an autograph but will not get mine signed...

Frink
05-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Whether or not I get a gamer signed depends on the jersey. Most are open season for signing, but there are a few that I feel are too perfect to get signed, as I want to leave them just as they are when I've acquired them.

Neither way ruins a jersey I really want any longer, but there was a time when I felt differently, and would pass on items signed in a particular fashion (namely the sharpie on the non-embroidered area of a jersey). So I can see both sides.

The last point to make is that I have jerseys where the experience of getting them signed has made them much, much cooler to me, simply because the meeting was memorable or something.

Honestly, I say do what you want. I'm actually taking a jersey to get signed this weekend, myself.

CampWest
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
whether a jersey or a bat or anything else, sometimes an autograph and inscription can add authentication to a jersey when more official documentation is not available.

If I find an item from say 1987 with a "vintage" game used 1987 inscription, I may feel a bit more comfortable that it was a true gamer signed at the time that it was last worn. If its a new-ish looking inscription on an old item, maybe a bit less comfort, but at least adds some comfort that the player was comfortable calling it game used.

Its all personal preference, but in some cases I think a signature can significantly help support authenticity claims from the very guy that purportedly used the item.

sportsnbikes
05-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I have preferred to keep the items I get from players in their natural state but I may buy one that is already signed. If I ever do get a game used bat that a player gives me personally, it will have to be in optimal circumstances. I don't want a short slopp signature on a prsitine GU item.

marino13
05-08-2013, 08:13 PM
So, I picked up a my first baseball game used jersey and I have the opportunity coming up to have the player sign they jersey. I just want to get some opinions from the forum on the matter. Does getting a gamer signed hurt or enhance the jersey in your opinion? Personally, I don’t mind the ones that have the jersey number signed, but I do not like it when the signature is directly on the jersey fabric… seems out of place to me.

Your thoughts?

I dont see NO hurt in getting the player to sign his gamer. Unless it is "personalized", then it will be priceless to you BUT the resale value will decrease.

Personally, I am trying to get a couple Jeter's gamer to be signed. The same can be said about Mariano Rivera.

It is easier to obtain the gamer than obtaining the autograph (hopefully, it will comes with some kind of authentication - because of "clubhouse", "bat boy", "player's friends and family" is NOT going help. With that said, if you can get MLB authenticator to update the existing MLB hologram - now that is as best as it comes!

gaytorhater703
05-08-2013, 08:21 PM
i strongly prefer it not signed!!!!

mbrieve
05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I want my jerseys just like they came off the field. For every jersey that I have seen enhanced by a signature and inscription, I have seen a jersey "ruined" by a signature (i.e. sloppy, bad location, wrong pen used, etc.).

marino13
05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I want my jerseys just like they came off the field. For every jersey that I have seen enhanced by a signature and inscription, I have seen a jersey "ruined" by a signature (i.e. sloppy, bad location, wrong pen used, etc.).

This is why...

1. I will never going to try and obtain FREE signature at the game or hotel for my gamer. EVER.

2. Willing to pay extra for public signing or private signing (with proper instructions).

2a. Will have extra working DECO pens handy, just in case.

3. Doing research in advance on which inscription is best fit along with the best spot possible for the signature when the gamer is being displayed.

If you care about your gamer and how the signature will enhance the bottom line (in case you plan to put it up for auction later) - research, prepare, and more research!

A gamer itself will NOT enhance the value by itself, unless there is some significant milestone attached to it.

A desirable signature with "pleasant to the eyes" location, will enhance the final value 2x to 3x easily.