PDA

View Full Version : Samardzija Bloody Baseball

nevrdiez34
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I saw this story this morning and thought it was interesting, and figured others might enjoy:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9238925/cincinnati-reds-auction-jeff-samardzija-blood-stained-ball

Here's the auction listing:

http://reds.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8275464&prmenbr=44223179&aunbr=8275464

brianborsch
05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Why is the auction ended early?

marino13
05-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Why is the auction ended early?

I was wondering the same thing.

brianborsch
05-05-2013, 12:20 PM
My guess is someone won it or bought at a Reds game or directly from the Reds as the starting bid is $1.00 but the ending bid is $130.01 or something like that. Even though there are no online bidders, the winner must have bid in person? Not sure..

frikativ54
05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
My guess is someone won it or bought at a Reds game or directly from the Reds as the starting bid is $1.00 but the ending bid is $130.01 or something like that. Even though there are no online bidders, the winner must have bid in person? Not sure..

Or they are withholding the bidders' IDs for privacy reasons. IDK. :confused:

Wrigley2010
05-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I found this disappointing. I would have loved the opportunity to make a run at this ball. Not to mention it sold for far less than what I think it would have at auction.

jbsportstuff
05-05-2013, 01:23 PM
It's a possibility that the Reds HOF wanted the baseball for future display. This frequently happens but in this case it maybe a case of bad timing.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I found this disappointing. I would have loved the opportunity to make a run at this ball. Not to mention it sold for far less than what I think it would have at auction.

+1

dplettn
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
The ball was taken down to accommodate a request from the player's association in regards to Samardzija.

frikativ54
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
The ball was taken down to accommodate a request from the player's association in regards to Samardzija.

Please explain. :confused:

rdeversole
05-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm sure Reds Authentics manager Jon Cline (JCline@reds.com) would be able to answer any questions about the ball. He'd be the best source on the issue.

I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.[/quote]

The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.

dplettn
05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Please explain. :confused:

Jon Cline is extremely courteous and to the extent his schedule allows, I'm sure he'd help people to understand the good intentions involved. Knowing how hard Jon works, I'd like to offer my educated guess as an explanation.

For starters its important to understand that Reds Authentics' proceeds benefit the Reds Community Fund. Basically Reds Authentics' proceeds pay for outreach baseball programs where they are needed most. Its a charitable purpose, not a way the Reds organization furthers its financial coffers.

Understanding Reds Authentics' financial interests, its probably easy for all to appreciate that it wouldn't have fit Reds Authentics' interest to sensationalize anything that some might consider indecent or exploitative about the ball. It would appear that when the media portrayed the ball's existence in a way that could be considered exploitative of the players' DNA, that the Players Association made a request. I'm not at all surprised Reds Authentics served the Players Association's request.

Feel free ask of Jon's time because his service standards are exceptional. Consider to do it as a customer though... for any of the many Reds game used items that serves a wholly good purpose of baseball outreach programs.

dplettn
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.[/quote]

Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.

Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.[/quote]

When you put it that way, I could definitely see that happening and understand it, although it still sucks, I would've loved to have that baseball and I'm not even a GU baseball guy.

dplettn
05-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Not sure why nevrdiez34's words about Samardzija's perspective is showing on this thread as my quote.

I just hope knowledge that Reds Authentics pulled the listing with the best of intentions is helpful to nevrdiez34 and anyone else who was interested in the item.

yanks12025
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Why would someone wanted a blood stained baseball? Isn't that kind of gross.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
It is very unique, and has a story behind it. I don't think anyone plans on playing with it yanks, more of a display piece. Wouldn't you like the famous Nolan Ryan blood drenched jersey?

brianborsch
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I was already on top of it. I finally heard back from Mr. Cline. It was indeed at the Player's Association's request. :) Good intuition gang!

gingi79
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Why would someone wanted a blood stained baseball? Isn't that kind of gross.

I didn't understand the lure of this item either. Curt Schilling's sock had some real unique history behind it, the injury, the fact he worked though it, the time of year, the opponent etc.

I'm not discounting the ball, just saying as an average fan that I wouldn't have even known about it without the MLB auction. Now that I do, I must be missing something. Considering my love of rare game used items, can someone tell me why this is collectible?

chakes89
05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I didn't understand the lure of this item either.

Same here. It seems like a dumb item to have, let alone try to auction off. Especially when consider that it's a ball from a nothing game in April from a pitcher on a bad team that is going nowhere. But that's just my opinion, for what its worth.

And coming from a Reds fan that has bought a lot of stuff from them, it's kinda sad and a little embarrassing that the Reds would even try to pull a stunt like this.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Same here. It seems like a dumb item to have, let alone try to auction off. Especially when consider that it's a ball from a nothing game in April from a pitcher on a bad team that is going nowhere. But that's just my opinion, for what its worth.

And coming from a Reds fan that has bought a lot of stuff from them, it's kinda sad and a little embarrassing that the Reds would even try to pull a stunt like this.

Everyone collects what they want, I could care that a Reds fan thinks it's a "dumb item to collect" from a team that's going nowhere. I wasn't aware I should only collect items from a team with a winning record in a particular year. Obviously I wasn't the only one interested in the ball, but this thread wasn't intended to be about opinions of the collectibity of the ball, it was just a story I found interesting. I'm sorry I shared it.

jbean023
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM

Chakes Im sure you have a lot of items other collectors would call "dumb". Everyone has their preferences, stamps, star wars figures, comic books, vinyl records,etc. Most people think why would anyone want to collect a sweaty jersey or cleats caked with dirt and who knows what else.I get people that want to talk about my collection for hours then others that look at me like I am the dumbest person on the face on this earth then I usually show them a current sports auction and they are like wow you're not the only crazy one. Do you collect Jay Bruce items because he is leading MLB in strikeouts right now, man thats going places, next step HOF right? Why do you collect minor league items, to me that has no real impact on a players career or history? A Jay Bruce minor league bat to me is like you buying his folder from 8th hour english class in high school, or his favorite pair of power rangers underwear. But thats what you collect and I respect that and wouldn't call that dumb or stupid, its neat and has a story behind it. Plus its something you enjoy, this biggest thing that bothers me about this site is people down grading other collectors and their collection. Like the collector with the "SKI" collection, to me I would never collect that but I love his collection,view it everytime he posts a new jersey and how happy it makes him. I have even tried to talk down a few people on EBay for get a SKI jersey and so I could send it to him for free. In my collection I have jerseys of football and baseball games I have been at, most I have ever spent on and item was $2,800, but you know what my favorite item is. a Geremi Gonzalez uncracked bat that I got from Dave Miedima for 40$ (might of spelled your last name wrong Dave my apologies) and I have never seen another one. Bats probably not even worth .99 cents to most collectors but I wouldn't sell it.

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!

chakes89
05-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Everyone collects what they want, I could care that a Reds fan thinks it's a "dumb item to collect" from a team that's going nowhere. I wasn't aware I should only collect items from a team with a winning record in a particular year. Obviously I wasn't the only one interested in the ball, but this thread wasn't intended to be about opinions of the collectibity of the ball, it was just a story I found interesting. I'm sorry I shared it.
I didn't mean for my response to be a slight to you or to anyone else. I'm truly sorry if I came across that way. Too each his own. Some of my $9.99 bats are some of my more favorite items in my collection.

And I'm not even really trying to down play the ball itself, it's more of a wrong place at the wrong time kinda thing that just set me off on a little rant/tirade. I'm more or less just sick of seeing some of the gimmicky items that are being sold anymore throughout the hobby that are just hyped up by people trying to make a quick buck. What gets to me is that anymore it just gets frustrating to see people that intentionally try to make items special that really have little to no significance to the actual game itself even though it rarely, if ever, affects me and what I collect.

At the end of the day it really comes down to one simple thing, collect who/what you and who cares what anyone else thinks.

I'll shut up and go away now

(PS. I'll take that 8th grade english class folder if you can track one down :))