PDA

View Full Version : George Brett P138 shipping records

joecoco
05-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Mike (or Brian)-

I was wondering the number of P318 bats that were shipped to George during the 1991 season? Also, I think Brian may be able to answer this one: What is the difference in the P138 model vs. the C271 or his later B351? The C271 and B351 seem to have a more tapered handle, and I was wondering if the P138 combined the barrel of a P318 with handle of a T85?

Just curious as I can never get enough of the subtle differences in bat models and the history behind them :) Thanks for your time!

Best-

Joe

MSpecht
05-03-2013, 09:22 PM
A review of George Brett's H & B shipping records document three orders of model P138C (cupped end) bats ( 34 in / 32 oz / no finish) shipped on 8/28/91, 8/29/91 and 9/4/91 totaling 23 bats.

Brian will have to answer the question regarding the differences between models as that information was transmitted to the tool room in a different manner following the switch in data recording in 1980-81. Prior to that, a player's request that resulted in a new model (i.e. "Model K55 wirh 1/8 inch thinner handle" or "Model T85 barrel w/ C271 handle") was often recorded on the handwritten bat cards that contained the player's ordering records. Prior to the institution of model numbers in the early 1940's, a player's request would be recorded in a couple of different ways, the most common being that if a player, say Jones, sent in another player's bat, say Smith's, and requested a small modification, then the bat would become known as "His (Jones') Smith" which would indicate an indexed Smith bat with Jones' requested modification.. There was a bit more included in the process, but that's the general idea.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

PS-- To any members who are not totally familiar with the GUU site--- there are many informative blogs written by myself and Jim Caravello on a variety of Game-Used Bat topics and history that can be accessed thru a link on the top horizontal menu entitled "Expert's Corner." If you haven't checked them out yet, I think you'd find them very informative.

joecoco
05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
That is great stuff Mike :) , thanks so much. I really appreciate the insight.