PDA

View Full Version : GU Ball - Historic and Cheap

xpress34
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to share this ball that I picked up from the Rockies GU Booth on Sat April 6th from their game that day against the San Diego Padres.

MLB Authentication Reads:

Hologram number EK158512 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: SD AT COL
Session Date: April 06, 2013
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BATTER: WIL VENABLE, PITCHER: JON GARLAND, TOP 1ST, DOUBLE

What makes it Historic is that Sat April 6th was the 1st day of use for the new 20th Anniversary Logo Balls for the Rockies. The day before was the Home Opener and they used Opening Day Baseballs.

What makes it more historic is it is verifiable from the MLB Authentication and the box score that this is the FIRST 'hit' 20th Anniversary Logo ball.

I had Venable and Garland sign it at the Sunday April 7th game.

Cost - $50.00 + my time to get it autographed.

Dodgers101
05-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Smitty,
nice pick up. I agree I'm a game used ball collector. I've picked up some nice used "hit" balls cheap from both the Dodgers and Angels from name players for $40 or less because the Dodgers don't research the balls and charge a flat price no matter what happened with he ball meaning if it was a double by Matt Kemp they charge $40. If it was a pitch in the dirt to Justin Sellers $40, I've been able to pick up some gems through the years.

John

NeonStatus
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Smitty, thanks for sharing the baseball. The ball shows good use and the autos add to it.

tigerdale
05-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Cool baseball!! Great pick up!!!

coxfan
05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
You're all showing how much you can add to any authentication by doing your own research. That's much of the fun of g-u ball collecting. MLB.com's play-by-play for each game is a useful way to learn more, as well as going through the number sequence of items authenticated from that game.

sox83cubs84
05-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Great ball, Smitty! I wonder if the Rockies will be suing them in BP this season? They come to Wrigle Field in a couple of weeks, and I'd love to grab one, if they're in BP use.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
05-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Great ball, Smitty! I wonder if the Rockies will be suing them in BP this season? They come to Wrigle Field in a couple of weeks, and I'd love to grab one, if they're in BP use.

Dave Miedema

Guys -

Thanks for the comments!

Dave -

I believe they just started rotating them (used ones that weren't snagged and authenticated even) into the BP buckets, so you might have a good shot.

I know that some friends here tried going to some of the bigger baseball dealers (to buy these new for autos by the case) and they were all told that the Rockies have exclusive rights to these balls currently. They are only available new at Rockies Dugout Stores and at Coors Field, or if you get one from off the field.

- Smitty

xpress34
05-03-2013, 01:52 AM
BTW - funny story...

Garland signed it 1st and rolled it right to the logo. When Venable signed, I told him what it was and he smiled, noticed that Garland had already signed it and asked if I had told John what it was.

I told him no, I didn't want Garland to get made at me! Will told me that was probably a wise choice.

If any of you have never met Venable, he is probably one of the nicest guys in the league.

We talked during BP o Sunday after he had signed the ball and when i asked, he said he would set me up with a pair of Batting Gloves when they come back this season.

- Smitty

astros5.7
05-03-2013, 02:08 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MLB-COLORADO-ROCKIES-20TH-ANNIVERSAY-RAWLINGS-OFFICIAL-BASEBALL-ROMLBCR20-/230965792813?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item35c6a2502d

xpress34
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MLB-COLORADO-ROCKIES-20TH-ANNIVERSAY-RAWLINGS-OFFICIAL-BASEBALL-ROMLBCR20-/230965792813?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item35c6a2502d

Thanks for the link - I will send that to my friends here. When they announced these balls were coming out, the information I provided above was given to us by Bill's Sports Collectibles (Denver's oldest Sports Card and Collectible Shop - approx 40 years) per their Rawlings rep who gets their All Star and WS balls for them every year.

Rawlings must have decided they wanted more revenue coming in...

- Smitty