PDA

View Full Version : McGWIRE 1084 OLYMPICS HELMET

hblakewolf
11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Forum Readers-

As many of you know, I'm a huge McGwire collector. As such, I recently saw a "1984 McGwire game worn Olympics helmet" featured on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-USA-OLYMPIC-BASEBALL-MARK-McGWIRE-GAME-USED-HELMET_W0QQitemZ280045886407QQihZ018QQcategoryZ501 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller noted in his description that the helmet was worn by McGwire and included a LOA from the Director of the Olympics, Ish. Although the seller provided several photos of the helmet, none provided a shot of the back that should have a black 41. From the photos, there did not appear to be any identification, either a name on the bill, # on the bill, or the 41 on back as I have seen in several photos of McGwire during his 1984 Olympic play.

The seller included his phone number in his listing, so I called him. I asked him how he can attribute this particular helmet to being used by McGwire. He said that although the LOA simply said it was worn by the Olympic team in 1984, he has to believe it was worn by McGwire as it is a size large. HUH?????????????? I asked if the LOA makes any mention of a specific player wearing it, or in this case, specifically McGwire. Again, the seller said it makes no mention, but he believes McGwire wore it based on the size. When I informed him that the team had large black numbers on the back of each helmet, he said he was not aware of this.

The auction description was never changed, and it appears to heave ended early with the "Buy it now" feature for $499. Although I have the actual red 1984 McGwire Olympic jersey in my collection, I'm glad I had a chance to investigate and do my homework on this helmet BEFORE wasting any hard earned money.

Homework, folks.............do your own homework and forget about the all-important LOA's.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

cjmedina1
11-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Howard

Did you ever get that Allstar bat?

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

skyking26
11-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi Howard -

After Kingman retired I collected McGwire hard thru his retirement. During the down years of foot/heal problems I picked up some nice game used items at a lower price due to people thinking his career was over (A's spikes, WS bat, minor lea. jersey). At some point in time I hope to add maybe a Cards and Oakland jersey and a Cards bat. Everything is pricey now.

Steroids aside, even if you take them away presuming he did them, he was still a lethal HR guy and always was which fascinated me like Kong did. Feel free to email privately at any time concerning Mac, or another one of your Philly favorites I am sure - Jim Thome!

Bob Koppel: skyking442@hotmail.com

Birdbats
11-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Howard,

I know Ish Smith (Ish was a leader in the international baseball movement as president of the US Baseball Federation and a member of the USOC executive board). He apparently still owns most (if not all) of his McGwire Olympic items. Ish has generously sold off large chunks of his personal collection to raise money for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Southern Illinois. I've purchased a couple 1984 US Olympic baseball uniforms from Ish and know he has auctioned off maybe 3-4 batting helmets during the past couple of years (including Will Clark, Oddibe McDowell and Cory Snyder). But, when I've asked him about buying McGwire items from him (including Mac's jersey and batting helmet), he says he's keeping them to pass down to his kids.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com