PDA

View Full Version : Dave Miedema is old-school. Here's why.

commando
04-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Dave has been known to ship packages my way every so often, and he never disappoints with adding to my stamp collection.

There are 58 stamps and two USPS bar-code stickers, if I counted correctly.

Anyone want to guess how long it took to lick these???

Anyhow, Dave is the man.

commando
04-19-2013, 12:59 AM
After doing some quick research, I found that:

The five-cent JFK stamp was issued in 1964

The thirteen-cent JFK stamp was issued in 1967

The Shrine of Democracy stamp was issued in 1974

The Viking missions to Mars stamps were issued in 1978

The Freedom of Conscience stamp was issued in 1981

The big-ass block of Franklin D. Roosevelt stamps was issued in 1982

otismalibu
04-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Dave goes through three 64 oz. jugs of Gatorade, on mail days.

frikativ54
04-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Dave has been known to ship packages my way every so often, and he never disappoints with adding to my stamp collection.

Didn't know Dave uses FDR stamps. :p

Anyhow, Dave is the man.

+1.

marino13
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM

Anyhow, Dave is the man.

OMG .. all of those poor stamps being used.

Stamp collectors are outrage of such recklessness.

WHY do you do it Dave? WHY..... :D

marino13
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
After doing some quick research, I found that:

The five-cent JFK stamp was issued in 1964

The thirteen-cent JFK stamp was issued in 1967

The Shrine of Democracy stamp was issued in 1974

The Viking missions to Mars stamps were issued in 1978

The Freedom of Conscience stamp was issued in 1981

The big-ass block of Franklin D. Roosevelt stamps was issued in 1982

That was some quick research there, buddy.

If you didnt, I would have done it.

commando
04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
That was some quick research there, buddy.

If you didnt, I would have done it.

LOL, I got tired and went to bed before looking up the rest.... I think I found the oldest ones, though.

Dave, where has that 49 year-old JFK stamp been all these years????

chakes89
04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Good Lord!

sox83cubs84
04-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks, everyone! I don't think I've ever laughed so loud at a GUU thread as I did today.;)

Dave Miedema

commando
04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
One more thing. A chagrined postal worker in North Riverside, Illinois had to use their cancel stamp 38 times.

If anyone wants to buy this actual Dave Miedema sent box, you'll find it in the Classifieds section.

gingi79
04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Any truth to the rumor Dave originally purchased said stamps with Wampum? Considering his knowledge base, I'm sure he obtained said wampum by selling "Real British Tea...brewed fresh in Boston Harbor"

Sorry for the jest Dave but I know your sense of humor would enjoy it :p

trsent
04-20-2013, 11:28 AM
It is very common for old stamp dealers (a dying breed) to use old stamps for postage instead of trying to sell them. You usually can find stamp dealers selling old stamps for 50-80% of face value, depending how low face value of the stamps you want. The stamp market has been a weak market for I'd guess 25-30 years now. I bought a shop around 1994 called "Hawthorn Stamp & Coin" and promptly changed the name to "Hawthorn Cards & Coins". We pulled all stamps from the store and we didn't lose any business because of it!

It is amazing to see Dave pay full price at the post office to ship a box instead of using usps.com to ship, which gives a discount on shipping and built in automatic tracking, but it is neat to see someone still using the old stamps.

sox83cubs84
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Gingi:

You're right...I DID get a kick out of that.

Joel:

I don't have enough to ship to warrant a usps.com account (not to mention no printer to print postage labels from), but I actually enjoy my local Post Office in limited doses. All the clerks know me and get along with me...one middle-aged woman even wants to hear any new political jokes I've discovered.

Also, there are many instances, if you're not super-picky about what you want, where eBay also has sellers that offer old stamps at below face value. I also agree with your comments about the stamp market. Starting in the 1950s or maybe a hair ealier, collectors purchased commemoratives in droves, expecting a huge investing payoff down the road. So many bought stamps, however, that the market became oversupplied, and the investment angle all but disappeared. (Sounds like baseball cards now).

Dave M.

trsent
04-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Gingi:

You're right...I DID get a kick out of that.

Joel:

I don't have enough to ship to warrant a usps.com account (not to mention no printer to print postage labels from), but I actually enjoy my local Post Office in limited doses. All the clerks know me and get along with me...one middle-aged woman even wants to hear any new political jokes I've discovered.

Also, there are many instances, if you're not super-picky about what you want, where eBay also has sellers that offer old stamps at below face value. I also agree with your comments about the stamp market. Starting in the 1950s or maybe a hair ealier, collectors purchased commemoratives in droves, expecting a huge investing payoff down the road. So many bought stamps, however, that the market became oversupplied, and the investment angle all but disappeared. (Sounds like baseball cards now).

Dave M.

Dave, anyone can open as usps.com account. It is easier than opening an eBay account. Easier than opening an account with your bank. No big deal.

Yes, stamps can be bought on eBay below face and most stamp dealers sell bulk lots below face.

I'm happy to hear someone enjoys your political humor. ;)

gingi79
04-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Dave should philatelists be on the lookout for an Inverted Jenny on future packages? Because if so, I'd love to buy EVERYTHING you have. :D

island_style
04-22-2013, 06:11 AM
FWIW, I have been buying from Dave for the past several years with complete satisfaction. As you know, he doesn't send pictures of the items he sells. But, his descriptions on the items I've bought are true. My collection has grown exponentially thanks to Dave.

Each package arrives with postage stamps dominating the box. On occassion he has sent an SASE to have the stamps returned so that he can give them to stamp collectors.

Dave, keep doing what you do. I look forward to many more decorated boxes in the future.

Ron

marino13
04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Dave should philatelists be on the lookout for an Inverted Jenny on future packages? Because if so, I'd love to buy EVERYTHING you have. :D

I will pay for one Invert Jenny and then I will use the funds from it, to purchase the rest of your collection, also.

sox83cubs84
04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Invert Jenny's? BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

Dave M.

frikativ54
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Dave Miedema is awesome. I got my package with assorted stamps yesterday. :D

Go, Dave!

Samets
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
It is very common for old stamp dealers (a dying breed) to use old stamps for postage instead of trying to sell them. You usually can find stamp dealers selling old stamps for 50-80% of face value, depending how low face value of the stamps you want. The stamp market has been a weak market for I'd guess 25-30 years now. I bought a shop around 1994 called "Hawthorn Stamp & Coin" and promptly changed the name to "Hawthorn Cards & Coins". We pulled all stamps from the store and we didn't lose any business because of it!

It is amazing to see Dave pay full price at the post office to ship a box instead of using usps.com to ship, which gives a discount on shipping and built in automatic tracking, but it is neat to see someone still using the old stamps.

Do you still own and run that shop?

I haven't been there in years but I've sold some gold coins to that store when I used to collect coins...

commando
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Dave Miedema is awesome. I got my package with assorted stamps yesterday. :D

Go, Dave!

Let me know what ya got.... I have plenty of 1982 Franklin D. Roosevelts for trade.:p

commando
05-08-2013, 11:27 AM
French Alliance!

Tiffany Lamp!

Folk Dancing!

C.M. Russell!

Old Faithful!

Funky USA Air mail!

....And More!

trsent
06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
I got one in the mail the other day!

frikativ54
06-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Didn't know that Dave would use John Dewey or Ruth Benedict stamps. :p

commando
06-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Very nice, Joel... I'm jealous!

sox83cubs84
06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Didn't know that Dave would use John Dewey or Ruth Benedict stamps. :p

That's a great stamp grouping, Leslie, but it wasn't from me...look at the address slip...it came from a dealer in Middletown NY.

I'd still be proud to send one out like that, regardless (even with Dewey and Benedict included).

Dave Miedema

trsent
06-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Very nice, Joel... I'm jealous!

I would mail you the box but it appears to have been thrown away already...

camarokids
06-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I got one in the mail the other day!

Aren't those Columbian Exposition Satmps worth something?