PDA

View Full Version : Before I post this in Dave's 'Crazy Trivia' thread...

xpress34
04-19-2013, 12:22 AM
In Thursday afternoon's tilt between the NY Mets and the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, an interesting anomaly happened:

In the bottom of the 7th inning, Jordan Pacheco pinch hit for Pitcher John Garland. The Rockies went on a tear scoring 6 runs and the PH - Pacheco (still eligible being in the same inning) - was pinch hit for by Reid Brignac (who got a hit and an RBI).

I've never seen this happen in a game before, just wondering if you know how rare this is or if it has happened before where a team 'pinch hit for a pinch hitter'?

I sent this to Elias Sports Bureau as well...

As to the 'why' of pinch hitting for the pinch hitter... after his ground out, Pacheco was sent to the Bullpen (backup catcher) to help warm up some arms. When the PH spot came back around i the same 1/2 inning, Pacheco was walking the tunnels back to the dugout, so they could not reach hi in the Bullpen to tell him he was on-deck or due up!

Thanks!

Smitty

trsent
04-20-2013, 11:20 AM
In Thursday afternoon's tilt between the NY Mets and the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, an interesting anomaly happened:

In the bottom of the 7th inning, Jordan Pacheco pinch hit for Pitcher John Garland. The Rockies went on a tear scoring 6 runs and the PH - Pacheco (still eligible being in the same inning) - was pinch hit for by Reid Brignac (who got a hit and an RBI).

I've never seen this happen in a game before, just wondering if you know how rare this is or if it has happened before where a team 'pinch hit for a pinch hitter'?

I sent this to Elias Sports Bureau as well...

As to the 'why' of pinch hitting for the pinch hitter... after his ground out, Pacheco was sent to the Bullpen (backup catcher) to help warm up some arms. When the PH spot came back around i the same 1/2 inning, Pacheco was walking the tunnels back to the dugout, so they could not reach hi in the Bullpen to tell him he was on-deck or due up!

Thanks!

Smitty

So, has this happened in a game before?

hdavid_27
05-30-2013, 04:40 PM
This thread is old, I know. As far as pinch hit for a pinch hitter, that kind of happened on Daniel Descalsos MLB Debut. September 18, 2010 Descalso was announced as the pinch hitter, which counts as a plate appearance. There was then a pitching change and Nick Stavinoah was called to the plate and Descalso was called back. Pinch Hitter for Pinch Hitter.

xpress34
05-30-2013, 11:29 PM
David -

The situation you mentioned has happened many times - I discussed this with Jeff Huson who is on the Rockies local TV broadcast team.

But having a Pinch Hitter actually take his AB and then have his spot roll back around in the same inning and have someone else Pinch Hit for him?

I wrote Elias Sports Bureau and have never heard anything back.

- Smitty

mdube16
05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
I would have to imagine having a pinch hitter hit then batting around and pinch hitting for him has happened before...likely many times.