PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Cool Base and Knit Home Jerseys 2011 & 2012

TwinLakesPark
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
I have 3 Red Sox home jerseys of the same player, 1 from 2011 and 2 from 2012. I would like to think that I own 3 of the 6 home jerseys that were issued to this player over the 2 year period. What is interesting is the fact that 1 of the 2012 jerseys is a knit and the other is a cool base.

Is anyone familiar with a team issuing both a knit and cool base for the same jersey style in the last few years? Did they dress in the knit on cooler nights and cool base during the day games? Lastly, does anyone have any information of the number of jersey sets the Red Sox ordered for each jersey style in 2011 or 2012?

Thanks.

MarlinsFan1993
04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I have 3 Red Sox home jerseys of the same player, 1 from 2011 and 2 from 2012. I would like to think that I own 3 of the 6 home jerseys that were issued to this player over the 2 year period. What is interesting is the fact that 1 of the 2012 jerseys is a knit and the other is a cool base.

Is anyone familiar with a team issuing both a knit and cool base for the same jersey style in the last few years? Did they dress in the knit on cooler nights and cool base during the day games? Lastly, does anyone have any information of the number of jersey sets the Red Sox ordered for each jersey style in 2011 or 2012?

Thanks.

I know that when Cool Base was first introduced circa 2006 the Marlins began switching out their Black Alt jerseys as I own a 2006 Willis Black Alt (attributed to a May game if I remember correctly) that is Knit and I have handled a few other Black Alt from 2006 that are Cool Base. In 2007 the Marlins had all their Black Alt's be Cool Base throughout the entire season and switched out their White and Grey jerseys to Cool Base about halfway through that 2007 season. Ever since then the Marlins have used cool base exclusively for all their jersey sets and this continued after the move to the new ballpark and new uniform style. My guess is that they immediately switched the Black Alt to cool base once it was made available due to black (and most dark colors) magnifying the effect of the sun. If I were to guess, I would say that the 2012 cool base you have is the Red Alt? That would seem logical as even a cool weather team like the Red Sox may resort to Cool Base for their Red Alt especially during the dog days of summer. Just my guess hope this helps!

dnrapp
04-18-2013, 12:43 AM

Thanks.

While not the same as you. I have a 2010 Landon Powell A's home white that is cool base and a 2011 road gray that is knit.

emann
04-18-2013, 12:49 AM

Yes, I know for a fact that the Red Sox put both a Cool Base and a knit jersey out for players who like to alternate. For example, Varitek was one who primarily wore knit but would wear an occasional Cool Base; while Pedroia is the exact opposite. It is the same case with home, road, and both alt styles. Seems to be player's choice... It pays to check Getty and style match what players wear throughout the season.

The Red Sox seem to be poor at keeping track of things like set numbers and strip tagging also. I think they add/subtract jerseys from rotation for certain players when they feel like it. I own a HAMMERED Youk jersey from '08 for example without the strip tag but photomatched to almost the entire season. Steiner then sold a similar one from the same season with the strip tags and very little use.

So, the set ordering varies. It seems pretty rare now for any team to only order 3 home/road jerseys for any starter (specifically stars).

I'd be surprised if someone like Justin Verlander didn't have a jersey switched out every other start.

TwinLakesPark
04-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes, I know for a fact that the Red Sox put both a Cool Base and a knit jersey out for players who like to alternate. For example, Varitek was one who primarily wore knit but would wear an occasional Cool Base; while Pedroia is the exact opposite. It is the same case with home, road, and both alt styles. Seems to be player's choice... It pays to check Getty and style match what players wear throughout the season.

I did a cursory review on Getty last night, and I did see the player in both knit and cool base home jerseys. I am going to research it in more detail today to see if I can pin down the exact games that the knit was worn for this player.

I have seen variation in cool base vs knit in the different styles (i.e., cool base alternates and knit home/roads), but never a variance within a single style. I like the fact that it could offer a rarer population from the over populated standard.

flaco1801
04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I think some teams have switched to cool base only...Imagine they get them cheaper, buy more for each player, then dump them for a nice profit...i think cool base is no better than junk....