PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Boston Marathon Participant Medals on eBay: Collectible or Disturbing?

TomTimmerman
04-17-2013, 02:31 PM
I noticed a few of these on eBay. With several days left, at least one is over $300. Is this similar to people cashing in on recently deceased players/celebrities? Or is it a way for participants to deal with the situation in their own way? Something else? Just wondering about your thoughts.

Tom

cliffjmp33
04-17-2013, 03:26 PM
I find it despicable. These sellers are trying to cash in on a tragedy/terror attack that took innocent peoples lives. They care more about their banks accounts than anything else and are truly scum.

If the sellers are donating any money to the cause, then that is a plus. But I find that hard to believe.

And as far as profiting on a recently deceased player/celebrity, I find that off too, but in those cases, most are usually from more natural causes, not an attack of innocent victims.

My, and I'm sure all of the members of GUU, thoughts and prayers go out to those whose lives will never be the same following Monday.

joelsabi
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I noticed a few of these on eBay. With several days left, at least one is over $300. Is this similar to people cashing in on recently deceased players/celebrities? Or is it a way for participants to deal with the situation in their own way? Something else? Just wondering about your thoughts.

Tom

this article says they may have been stolen off the table after the explosion as the medals may have been unattended after the chaos.

www.boston.com/businessupdates/2013/04/17/marathon-medals-for-sale-ebay-local-company-that-makes-them-horrified/AYq4Qg3bslyOJz2T1vohAO/story.html

theres one guy selling two medasl so maybe that it explains some of it. theres another guy trying to recover entry fees $120 and says donating the rest.

Q: ARE YOU DONATING THRE MONEY TO THE VICTIMS? Apr-17-13
A: I will keep $120 to pay my entry fee into next years race. The rest will go to a first responders or victims fund. I did not anticipate getting so much as I have only gotten about $50-100 when I have sold my medals in the past.