PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Selling Headaches and PSADNA Authentication

hockeytigers
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
People tell me all the time about the horror stories in trying to sell game used items on Ebay. I finally just had one of those experiences and I thought I would share it with you…

For those of you who don’t know, I collect punters/kickers memorabilia. I have close to 170 jerseys, a bunch of cleats, and a few helmets. I am trying to sell a few jerseys to pay for some work that needs to be done around the house.

I have a Jason Elam Broncos jersey up for sale on ebay now. I bought the jersey from an artist named Vonda Sisneros. She is a pretty well known sports artist that lived in the Denver area. I did a quick Google search and found a facebook page with tons of sports paintings that she has done and also found an article that they packed up their family from Denver and moved to Guatemala for religious work a couple years ago. She painted a picture for Jason and for payment he gave her a game worn jersey and a pair of game used cleats. I received a COA from her husband George stating the jersey is game used and the autograph is authentic. (I included a photo of the painting with the last name clearly signed on the artwork.)

The jersey is custom hemmed and the neck tag reads 04-50-S. When I purchased the jersey, I went to endzonecharities.com to make sure the size matched all the rest of the jerseys that sold…and the size matched all of the Elam jerseys that had sold that they had a record of. The jersey shows good use and looks to have been washed a bunch of times. The jersey has a very nice autograph on the back.

This is when the fun starts…I received an email asking if I had any paperwork with the jersey. He said these jerseys are faked all the time and all you need is an embroidery shop and you can change a retail jersey into an authentic jersey. I asked, if you were going to fake a jersey, wouldn’t you go for an Elway jersey instead of a kickers jersey? He responded that it is still a very valuable jersey and it is like counterfeiting a $20 bill instead of a $100 bill. I told him I had a COA from the artist. I also purchased the cleats from the artist as well. This jersey is 100% legit.

He then went to PSADNA and paid to have an opinion of the jersey done. I have never heard of this service so I looked it up. PSADNA will look at a jersey on ebay for $7.49 and give you their opinion based on the pictures. He said he paid for this service and they told him to “Stay Away” from this jersey. I was shocked and pissed. Based on all of the information that I presented, would you believe that this jersey is the real thing?

So I decided to pay for $7.49 myself and find out why they told him to “Stay Away” from this jersey. After I complained in my description and told my side of the story, the PSADNA folks came back with “Likely Genuine”.
Is this service from PSADNA a joke? Has anyone ever used this or heard of this service? How can one person ask about the jersey and get a “Stay Away” from them and I ask their opinion on the same jersey and they respond “Likely Genuine”? I don’t understand. I also put in my response that they cost me $900 because of their lack of knowledge and work at researching a jersey, but they didn’t respond to that.

So I have 2 questions…

1) Am I wrong to think that this jersey is good? This guy on ebay says that the jersey is no good.

2) Has anyone ever used this PSADNA method? What have the results turned out like?

cohibasmoker
04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
People tell me all the time about the horror stories in trying to sell game used items on Ebay. I finally just had one of those experiences and I thought I would share it with you…

For those of you who don’t know, I collect punters/kickers memorabilia. I have close to 170 jerseys, a bunch of cleats, and a few helmets. I am trying to sell a few jerseys to pay for some work that needs to be done around the house.

I have a Jason Elam Broncos jersey up for sale on ebay now. I bought the jersey from an artist named Vonda Sisneros. She is a pretty well known sports artist that lived in the Denver area. I did a quick Google search and found a facebook page with tons of sports paintings that she has done and also found an article that they packed up their family from Denver and moved to Guatemala for religious work a couple years ago. She painted a picture for Jason and for payment he gave her a game worn jersey and a pair of game used cleats. I received a COA from her husband George stating the jersey is game used and the autograph is authentic. (I included a photo of the painting with the last name clearly signed on the artwork.)

The jersey is custom hemmed and the neck tag reads 04-50-S. When I purchased the jersey, I went to endzonecharities.com to make sure the size matched all the rest of the jerseys that sold…and the size matched all of the Elam jerseys that had sold that they had a record of. The jersey shows good use and looks to have been washed a bunch of times. The jersey has a very nice autograph on the back.

This is when the fun starts…I received an email asking if I had any paperwork with the jersey. He said these jerseys are faked all the time and all you need is an embroidery shop and you can change a retail jersey into an authentic jersey. I asked, if you were going to fake a jersey, wouldn’t you go for an Elway jersey instead of a kickers jersey? He responded that it is still a very valuable jersey and it is like counterfeiting a $20 bill instead of a $100 bill. I told him I had a COA from the artist. I also purchased the cleats from the artist as well. This jersey is 100% legit.

He then went to PSADNA and paid to have an opinion of the jersey done. I have never heard of this service so I looked it up. PSADNA will look at a jersey on ebay for $7.49 and give you their opinion based on the pictures. He said he paid for this service and they told him to “Stay Away” from this jersey. I was shocked and pissed. Based on all of the information that I presented, would you believe that this jersey is the real thing?

So I decided to pay for $7.49 myself and find out why they told him to “Stay Away” from this jersey. After I complained in my description and told my side of the story, the PSADNA folks came back with “Likely Genuine”.
Is this service from PSADNA a joke? Has anyone ever used this or heard of this service? How can one person ask about the jersey and get a “Stay Away” from them and I ask their opinion on the same jersey and they respond “Likely Genuine”? I don’t understand. I also put in my response that they cost me $900 because of their lack of knowledge and work at researching a jersey, but they didn’t respond to that.

So I have 2 questions…

1) Am I wrong to think that this jersey is good? This guy on ebay says that the jersey is no good.

2) Has anyone ever used this PSADNA method? What have the results turned out like?

You are NOT alone on either questions. Some of the emails I get from eBay members are so bad, I would never share them with anyone. As for PSA/DNA, I tried their service a couple of times with mixed results. I guess for $7.49, you get what its worth - $7.49 but someone should tell eBay.

My beef is, years ago, I personally had Mickey Mantle sign a baseball for me. I put it on eBay a couple of Months ago and someone used the PSA/DNA "quick opinion". I guess that whoever looked at the signature at PSA didn't like it so they notified eBay and eBay cancelled the auction. I could NOT believe it. I called eBay and the operator basically told me - that's the way it goes and went on to warn me NOT to put the baseball on again.

I gave it to a friend and he sold it for me.

Jim

sportsnbikes
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I have never used the quick opinion service but I have distaste for most of their services anyway. On 3 separate occasions and 2 separate companies, I got a denied on 3 signatures I obtained myself from the players. I don't know if they are paying people to sit there and look at these autographs and compare them to a picture or what. With the amount of items being sent to them, how 'professional' of an authentication service are we really getting for our money? How many so-called 'experts' are there?

pacman2680
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
In the last few months I have encountered some of the biggest clowns I've ever met through selling on the bay. People will think up any ridiculous reason to lowball. And as far as your Elam, I know another collector who bought the Tatum Bell and a Darrent Williams from the same person. They are a reliable source, I know for a fact she painted many pictures for Broncos players and charity auctions. In return a lot of players gave her game used items. She also sold a Brandon Marshall gamer that he gave her in return for a painting. Hope this helps.

trsent
04-15-2013, 02:19 AM

So I have 2 questions…

I don't understand - PSA/DNA Quick Opinion on eBay offers an opinion of autographs - I have never seen them give opinions on game used items.

http://www.psacard.com/store/t-quickopinionebay.aspx#ebay

They don't reply to "Stay Away" - They offer three answers generally - Likely Genuine, Not Likely Genuine and a 3rd for when they can't see the autograph.

I doubt the original person paid for this service on your item to verify the autograph. That is all that was being viewed and your item passed you said when you submitted it so someone I bet is messing with you.

You can add a copy of your PSA/DNA autograph opinion to your listing and anyone else can buzz off telling you it isn't legitimate.

esquiresports
04-15-2013, 01:31 PM
I believe the above is correct. PSA only offers "quick opinions" on signatures. I've used them probably a dozen times relating to president/vice president signed baseballs. All but one came back "likely not genuine." If they are being overly conservative, I understand. Because I am not qualified to judge a signature's authenticity, I don't bid on anything that comes back "likely not genuine." I don't ask eBay to pull these auctions because it is a quick opinion and only "likely" in PSA's eyes after an admittedly quick look.