PDA

View Full Version : David Wright Topps tribute bat handle card @ $520 and counting #utterly ridiculous

bgold
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
A nice David Wright gamer can be had for less then this, what gives?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVID-WRIGHT-2013-TOPPS-TRIBUTE-GAME-USED-BAT-KNOB-1-1-1-OF-1-NY-METS-WOW-/310649168694?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4854222336

CampWest
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
what gives is most card collectors have no idea what they can get a full gamer for... In my experience once they discover that, a lot of them switch from card collecting to game used.

Also a lot of them seem to think its a more legitimate item if a card company cut it up than if you can find it whole. For some reason they think this stuff is impossible to find with getting a fake. And I think we've seen a lot of stuff the card companies cut up that clearly didnt look right for game used...

MarinersFan34
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Many of them will respond with, it's easier to store cards than memorabilia. I think that is the most common response I've seen.

The other one that still blows my mind, they don't know how to tell if the whole item is legit, so they trust these card companies to hack items up. In the end you have no idea if that's a jersey piece of Ken Griffey Jr. or Willie Bloomquist and you'll NEVER know now.

bgold
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Agreed and good points!

The legitimacy of the "game use" of the items in cards is always in question in my mind. Having seen many, for example, Piazza game used bat cards, only to flip the card and see a picture of a Rawlings batting practice bat, what a farce! For all I know the Wright knob from this card could have come from a batting practice bat or a substandard Wright model he never chose to use...I'm so happy I gave up collecting cards and moved on to game used memorabilia!

commando
04-11-2013, 04:07 PM
This type of thing appeals to people who are CARD collectors. It's all about the chase of things that were randomly inserted into packs. Of course, I don't care for this type of thing myself.

We have all seen things get cut up to fit on cards... For example, we've seen lots of vintage, historic signatures be CUT FROM DOCUMENTS so they can be put on cards... What? Taking a signature off a rare, full document with historic content is an absolute SIN as far as historians and most autograph collectors are concerned.

I tell ya, those card collectors are an odd bunch, really...

sox83cubs84
04-11-2013, 05:23 PM
What galls me is that most of the items destroyed for card inserts come from our segment of the hobby.

Maybe, one day, one of these companies will start cannibalizing rare cards...how about a numbered 1-9 insert of a chopped up Honus Wagner cigarette card? The rarity would make it a hyped chase card. Of course, the card collectors would be taking from their segment of the hobby, not ours, so it'll never happen.

Dave Miedema

hairyangryfella
04-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I've personally pretty much given up on collecting cards as I got into gamers. Truth is, I can't really afford either, but yeah it's a bit odd paying the same amount for a tiny piece when you can get a whole gamer.

One argument/reason I had was something along the lines of "I prefer to collect the tusks, rather than the whole elephant".

Each to their own.