PDA

View Full Version : Survive and Advance

ChrisCavalier
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I recently watched an ESPN 30 for 30 special called 'Survive and Advance.' It recounted the events surrounding the 1983 North Carolina State championship season and is, in my opinion, a must see for any sports fan or anyone who can find inspiration in Jim Valvano's 'never quit' attitude. In addition, anyone who isn't touched by the affections the team members have for one another and the personalities of men like Thurl Bailey and Dereck Whittenburg probably need to get their pulses checked.

Would love to hear the opinions of those who have seen it.

-Chris

tom1315
04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Chris, thank you for highlighting this incredible production. My wife and I have a son who is a SR at NC State and he sat through a preview of the production at Reynolds Coliseum before it was televised nationally on a Sunday evening on the lead ESPN channel. I had forgotten all of the close games from our having to win the ACC Tournament which featured Michael Jordan as a Jr and who fouled out of that game to Iona and all the free throws missed by our competitors to keep advancing...just one for the ages! The team chemistry between Sidney Lowe, Derek Whittenburg, Thurl Bailey, Terry Gannon and Cozell McQueen was incredible on the court as well as evidenced in their recalling the games together at "PR" or known to many as "Player's Retreat" during the making of this production.

I went with my two sons to the ACC Tournament in Greensboro this year and who was sitting behind us but Ernie Meyers who was a FR on that team and played when Derek was out with his broken foot.

Anyone visiting Raleigh should go by "PR" - this incredible bar and restaurant in Raleigh on Oberlin Road near Hillsborough Street and our Bell Tower. The death of Lorenzo Charles at an early age still brings tears to many State faithful...as I said earlier probably will never be duplicated but a very special run in the "tournament of all tournaments!"

GO PACK!

Tom

NC State - 1981 graduate

ChrisCavalier
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the insights! It was really great to re-live how the team progressed through the tournament as well as what was happening off the court to solidify the team as well.

Also, very cool how you sat in front of Ernie Meyers during the ACC tournament. I bet he had a few things to share with you about that season as well.

-Chris

trsent
04-15-2013, 02:34 AM
I recently watched an ESPN 30 for 30 special called 'Survive and Advance.' It recounted the events surrounding the 1983 North Carolina State championship season and is, in my opinion, a must see for any sports fan or anyone who can find inspiration in Jim Valvano's 'never quit' attitude. In addition, anyone who isn't touched by the affections the team members have for one another and the personalities of men like Thurl Bailey and Dereck Whittenburg probably need to get their pulses checked.

Would love to hear the opinions of those who have seen it.

-Chris

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54707

I guess you missed my thread about this show. Kleenex is a must to watch it.

I still get tears every time I watch the famous ESPY speech. One of those sports moments you can but somewhere behind Lou Gehrig's but not too far behind.

ChrisCavalier
04-15-2013, 02:41 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54707

I guess you missed my thread about this show. Kleenex is a must to watch it.

I still get tears every time I watch the famous ESPY speech. One of those sports moments you can but somewhere behind Lou Gehrig's but not too far behind.
Hey Joel,

You are correct. I did miss that thread. Thanks for pointing it out. It's nice to see the other opinions as well.

-Chris