PDA

View Full Version : This made me worry/wonder?!

greg678
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I will keep my newbie back story brief (kind of) - I am 40 married, kids, collected cards in the 80's, sold them all before college 1990 (lucky?), wanted to collect cards again, but can't stand graded cards in plastic cases (sorry). I think game worn is really cool because what better way then to connect with a player or team then get his uniform or bat that represents your favorite players, teams and city where you live or grew up? Bought first jersey with the mlb hologram on it and am looking for more as To add on.
Ok, I have a point.

I saw two jerseys both Nomar Garciaparra 2002 jerseys today-
(I am so sorry I can't upload the links to the items- tried and failed)
1. Heritage auctions 2002 Garciaparra game worn lot 81764 est. $800-1200

2. Ebay Garciaparra Non game used jersey from Ball Park Heros current bid $75

They look exactly the same! Armband, tagging etc., but the Ball Park Hero lister stated that "the jersey has the 3" extra length tag, but does not have the extra
length".
This made me realize 1. How tricky this hobby can be! 2. How this 100$ jersey could easily be sold for $1000 a year from now to someone who doesn't know to measure the jersey! 3 Lastly I need to do my research, pay good money to reliable and honest collectors and dealers to have a great chance of getting the legit game used items I pay for.
I think Ball Park Heros could be one of those places.

Sorry to ramble, but I got a little spooked when I saw the Nomar non used and gamer look exactly the same, but not at all.
Then I actually felt better when I realized I just have to do the research on not only the item but also whom I am buying it from and will be doing business with.
Thanks
Tips or advice appreciated- I am not telling you guys how your hobby works - just starting to learn about it.
Greg

sox83cubs84
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I will keep my newbie back story brief (kind of) - I am 40 married, kids, collected cards in the 80's, sold them all before college 1990 (lucky?), wanted to collect cards again, but can't stand graded cards in plastic cases (sorry). I think game worn is really cool because what better way then to connect with a player or team then get his uniform or bat that represents your favorite players, teams and city where you live or grew up? Bought first jersey with the mlb hologram on it and am looking for more as To add on.
Ok, I have a point.

I saw two jerseys both Nomar Garciaparra 2002 jerseys today-
(I am so sorry I can't upload the links to the items- tried and failed)
1. Heritage auctions 2002 Garciaparra game worn lot 81764 est. $800-1200

2. Ebay Garciaparra Non game used jersey from Ball Park Heros current bid $75

They look exactly the same! Armband, tagging etc., but the Ball Park Hero lister stated that "the jersey has the 3" extra length tag, but does not have the extra
length".
This made me realize 1. How tricky this hobby can be! 2. How this 100$ jersey could easily be sold for $1000 a year from now to someone who doesn't know to measure the jersey! 3 Lastly I need to do my research, pay good money to reliable and honest collectors and dealers to have a great chance of getting the legit game used items I pay for.
I think Ball Park Heros could be one of those places.

Sorry to ramble, but I got a little spooked when I saw the Nomar non used and gamer look exactly the same, but not at all.
Then I actually felt better when I realized I just have to do the research on not only the item but also whom I am buying it from and will be doing business with.
Thanks
Tips or advice appreciated- I am not telling you guys how your hobby works - just starting to learn about it.
Greg

Greg:

Ball Park Heroes is among the best game-used dealers around. They rarely make a mistake, and if they do, it's an honest one and they won't duck from you...they'll make it right.

Dave Miedema

greg678
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks Dave, I looked into Ball Park Hero's feedback and found an amazing!! 7000+ sales and only 14 purchases! I learned from this forum to watch for flippers on places like ebay. A non used can changed to a "used" in a hurry.
Also the Ball Park Heros owner is "educating" buyers on why this Nomar jersey could not be a gamer - and he is trying to sell this item at the same time. Don't see that often.