PDA

View Full Version : GF Ripken 99 home jersey

mr.miracle
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Mark, Howard, Rob, Dan, Andrew:

Need some help with this one.

1999 Cal Ripken, Jr. Baltimore Orioles Game-Used Home Jersey
Lot # 496

The "Iron Man" of the modern baseball era, Cal Ripken, Jr. set the MLB record playing in 2,623 consecutive games. The 1982 AL Rookie of the Year with the Baltimore Orioles, Ripken spent his entire career with the "Birds." He was named the AL MVP in 1983 and 1991, started in 17 consecutive All-Star Games, and retired ranked first in home runs among all Shortstops. On the front left tail of the jersey is the "Russell" manufacturers tag with wash instructions and the jersey size "48" on it. Attached to that are two additional manufacturers tags with "2" EXTRA LENGTH" and "100% POLYESTER" on them. Below that is an additional manufacturers tag with "1999" on it. Across the front of the jersey is "Orioles" in script in black on orange tackle twill. Below that on the left is the player number "8" in orange on black tackle twill. Across the back is "RIPKEN" in black on orange tackle twill directly on the jersey. Below that is the player number "8" in black on orange tackle twill. On the left sleeve is the official "Orioles" embroidered logo patch. On the right sleeve is the black "7" patch for Cal Ripken, Sr. and below is the "Russell" embroidered logo. There is velcro between the second and third button on the top of the jersey to help keep the jersey in line properly. The jersey shows game use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

I have seen either this jersey or another from the same year, tagging etc. recently on ebay. The one on ebay I reported the seller because he had previously purchased the jersey as game issued from Mas Auctions and then resold it six months later as game worn. Not saying this is the exact same jersey but it was tagged very, very similar if not identical to this one in the current Grey Flannel auction. I would like any feedback from Mark or other Orioles experts. I seem to recall seeing a number of these 99 home white Ripken's with the 7 Ripken Sr. memorial patch on the sleeve floating around over the past year. Mark, if you have any feedback on this jersey, something strikes me as not quite right but I cannot put my finger on it. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

bigtime59
11-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Brett:
Where is this auction running? Need to see some photos before I can say anything about this item...
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

mr.miracle
11-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Brett:
Where is this auction running? Need to see some photos before I can say anything about this item...
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Sorry Mark, that was dumb of me. It is in the current Grey Flannel auction.

Go to www.greyflannelauctions.com (http://www.greyflannelauctions.com) and do a search for Cal Ripken under auction lots. For some reason it won't allow me to copy the pics or copy the url for the exact page.

Thanks

bigtime59
11-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Brett:
First off, I'd like to thank GF for those LARGE, LOVELY photographs that accompany this listing. They're REALLY helpful. (The background is pretty, though.)
All sarcasm aside, there is photographic evidence of Cal wearing the "super high I" jersey in 1999, so that's OK. The front "8" looks a little off to me, but with these photos, who knows? I need to go back through my photos from that period. I seem to vaguely remember Cal in a jersey with triple Velcro, rather like the Twins used in 1997, but until I can pull a photo, it has to remain just that--a vague memory.
This is probably the least scary Cal Ripken brought before forum for discussion. Given how bad the others were, however, that's not saying much. I'd want to see bigger photos--especially with some evidence of wear--before I would bid on this item.
Hope this helps.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

mr.miracle
11-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Brett:
First off, I'd like to thank GF for those LARGE, LOVELY photographs that accompany this listing. They're REALLY helpful. (The background is pretty, though.)
All sarcasm aside, there is photographic evidence of Cal wearing the "super high I" jersey in 1999, so that's OK. The front "8" looks a little off to me, but with these photos, who knows? I need to go back through my photos from that period. I seem to vaguely remember Cal in a jersey with triple Velcro, rather like the Twins used in 1997, but until I can pull a photo, it has to remain just that--a vague memory.
This is probably the least scary Cal Ripken brought before forum for discussion. Given how bad the others were, however, that's not saying much. I'd want to see bigger photos--especially with some evidence of wear--before I would bid on this item.
Hope this helps.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark:

You are right, GF must employ the top photographic experts in the field to produce top quality shots like that. On a side note, I find that most of the auction houses photos have been less than helpful. In almost every auction that I have any interest in an item I find the need to email for additional photos however even if and when they are posted they are rarely any more helpful in terms of closeup shots. In this case however these photos in question are not very helpful at all.

In terms of the wash tag however, it does not look like this jersey was worn heavily but then again, all of the Ripken's in various auctions never seem to exhibit much wear at all.

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I appreciate it.