PDA

View Full Version : Jack Lambert Jersey / Grey Flannel Auction

beantown
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
1983 Jack Lambert Pittsburgh Steelers
Game-Used Black Durene Jersey Lot #59

To my knowledge, and if anyone here knows something different please post, but Jack Lambert NEVER wore a game jersey with short sleeves. Moreover, it seems odd that "extra length" would be added to a jersey that should have been originally manufactured that way...thoughts?

EndzoneSports
11-09-2006, 05:46 PM
First off, I must disclose that I have no specific knowledge regarding this particular jersey or Steelers jerseys in general as my "expertise" is limited to Broncos' items so I am extrapolating from that knowledge base.

Regarding the length, factory added length--above and beyond what is provided for a given jersey size--is a relatively new advent in the realm of football jerseys. This came about in the early 90s as Ripon began manufacturing jerseys for the likes of companies such as Starter, Nike, Adidas, Puma, Reebok, etc. While some manufacturer offered an "added length" option to their jerseys, this was typically limited to a maximum of 2" over standard length. Prior to this time, or for any additional length required by a given player, the additional body length would have likely been added by the team's equipment department staff by sewing like material to the bottom of a stock jersey. We have one prominent jersey in our collection that was prepared in this manner as late as 1996 (see http://endzone.pscoggin.com/Graphics/ROFers/EC21.htm) and have seen other similar examples as well.

As to the sleeves... Into the mid-70s, the Broncos' typically recycled their game jerseys for the following season's practice wear during training camp. I don't know what the Steelers' practice may have been, but common sense suggests that if this were the case, the WX in August is significantly different than Sunday afternoons in December in Pittsburgh. While Lambert may not have worn short sleeve during games, one could understand why the long sleeves of a Durene jersey would have been doffed during the summer months.

Best regards,

beantown
11-09-2006, 06:35 PM
First off, I must disclose that I have no specific knowledge regarding this particular jersey or Steelers jerseys in general as my "expertise" is limited to Broncos' items so I am extrapolating from that knowledge base.

Regarding the length, factory added length--above and beyond what is provided for a given jersey size--is a relatively new advent in the realm of football jerseys. This came about in the early 90s as Ripon began manufacturing jerseys for the likes of companies such as Starter, Nike, Adidas, Puma, Reebok, etc. While some manufacturer offered an "added length" option to their jerseys, this was typically limited to a maximum of 2" over standard length. Prior to this time, or for any additional length required by a given player, the additional body length would have likely been added by the team's equipment department staff by sewing like material to the bottom of a stock jersey. We have one prominent jersey in our collection that was prepared in this manner as late as 1996 (see http://endzone.pscoggin.com/Graphics/ROFers/EC21.htm) and have seen other similar examples as well.

As to the sleeves... Into the mid-70s, the Broncos' typically recycled their game jerseys for the following season's practice wear during training camp. I don't know what the Steelers' practice may have been, but common sense suggests that if this were the case, the WX in August is significantly different than Sunday afternoons in December in Pittsburgh. While Lambert may not have worn short sleeve during games, one could understand why the long sleeves of a Durene jersey would have been doffed during the summer months.

Best regards,

The problem with that theory is the Steelers practice jerseys from that era and even today are not the same style as Sunday game jerseys. As I have referenced photos from the Steelers in the 1970's and 1980's, to include Lambert, they are NOT wearing Steelers game jerseys.