PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire Rawlings Bat question...

mlbforeverhomer
03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Recently, I acquired a McGwire bat that was said to be obtained during the '98 season from a St louis club house attendant. It's an issued bat with a few rack marks on the barrel, but no use. The story is the cardinals ordered 4 dozen of these bats for him to use during BP & or be signed and auctioned off for the cardinals charity. My question is the bat measures 33-34" but nothing is stamped or written on the knob. Furthermore, Mark McGwire with Cardinals is stamped on the barrel. Is there a reason why the bat is not stamped? Are there any examples of this on the market/hobby? Thank you in advance!

mlbforeverhomer
03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Here is a link... It does not show the knob, but it's completely blank...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170996446004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks!

Birdbats
03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
I've seen a few of those bats. I seriously doubt they were intended for BP use since they were not made to Mac's specs; they're too short, the knobs aren't right, and the wood looks to be of less-than-professional quality. To my knowledge, they were ordered as replicas to be signed and auctioned. I'm not sure how many actually were because I've seen other blanks, but never a signed one. I also hesitate to call the marks on this bat "rack marks;" they're more consistent with transfer from black bats, not the team's red bat rack. So, in my opinion, "issued" is a misnomer because the bat is not the same kind of bat Mac would have used in a game or BP. It's just a replica. I mention the Cardinals Care replicas in my McGwire bat guide in the section on knobs. Hope that helps.

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Notes%20and%20Articles/McGwire%20bat%20buyers%20guide.htm

sox83cubs84
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Jeff is spot on. A Rawlings bat with no engravings on the knob wouldn't be very convincing as a team-issued bat.

Dave Miedema

mlbforeverhomer
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys! I bought this piece just to get it signed, so it's perfect for the purpose! I appreciate all the information!