PDA

View Full Version : auction consignment question

Dewey2007
03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
I have a non-game used piece of memorabilia that I am interested in consigning to an auction house. Do you think it hurts the potential value of an item if I were to list it on eBay first in an attempt to try and sell it that way?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

commando
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
It could go either way, but listing it on Ebay with a reasonable Buy It Now price is the absolute fastest way to get the quick cash. The five or seven-day auction format is fine too, and you might want to start the bidding at the lowest amount you'd be willing to take for it.

I think the "kiss of death" is when someone lists an item on Ebay with too high of a starting price. In essence, they are scaring away most or all of the interested bidders.

ChrisCavalier
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I think it probably depends on the item. There are a number of bidders who keep themselves apprised of what goes on in many different selling channels. With that said, if you list the item on eBay and it doesn't sell I think it could leave the item with a bit of a stigma. However, if it is a very high-end, desirable piece I don't think it would matter much since I don't think most of the high end memorabilia buyers are spending a great deal of time on eBay. Also, either way you go, depending on the type of item, you would definitely want to make sure it is authenticated if it is autographed related or something where people want assurances of legitimacy.

On a side note, if you do decide to go the auction route I think there are some other things you may also want to consider when trying to sell your item. For example, one thing I think about and I like about Goldin Auctions (for full disclosure I am a Consignment Director for them) is that Ken Goldin, the CEO, has been in the sports memorabilia business for over 20 years and his database of former customers is extremely extensive. In addition, the number of current bidders with Goldin Auctions is among the top in the industry and the number of bidders is likely growing faster than any other auction house right now. Even further, the bidders in Goldin's list are all "fresh," that is, not names from years ago that are no longer active.

One reason for the number of bidders and the bidder growth is that Goldin's database likely has more bidders from outside the hobby than most others right now since Ken spends a lot of money advertising outside the conventional sports memorabilia channels. Goldin's advertising in the Dupont Registry, Robb Report, setting up at car shows and other non traditional events that are male dominated and his deal with Comcast-Spectacor Charities are a few examples and many of Ken's previous contacts are from outside of the hobby as well. That means Goldin reaches people outside the hobby that others may not reach and can get some of the realized prices you have seen already. In addition, we are about to launch another initiative that will enable us to reach even further outside the hobby to bring in even more potential bidders.

I hope that helps with your question. If there are is anything else you might want to know, please feel free to post and hopefully I, and others, can chime in.

-Chris