PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Uniforms

PALEHOSE1
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
I have been reviewing threads from this site for a while and I have finally got around to registering. My question / discussion is about the 2005 White Sox World Series jerseys. I attended the Sox garage sale after the World Series year. The Sox had racks of the black alternative jerseys available as they were issued as World Series jerseys but the Sox never wore them as they wore the white pinstripes at the two home games and the gray unis for the last two games at Houston. There were very World Series jerseys for sale in white pinstripes or gray road- I grabbed the only two players jerseys I saw - grey visitors jerseys of El Duque and Pablo Ozuna. At the garage sale I talked to an employee of the Sox who told me the Sox issued two road jerseys to each player. Most likely one was worn in each game. He also said nearly all of the players took home the jersey they worn on the game four championship night. So in theory (but hard to prove) the two jerseys I bought were from Game 3 in Houston.
Does anyone know any more about the World Series jerseys?
Is it true that there were two sets issued for gray? What about the White?
Anybody else own a Series worn jersey?
There has been a black game issued WS jersey of Freddy Garcia on ebay recently.

PALEHOSE1
03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
I have been reviewing threads from this site for a while and I have finally got around to registering. My question / discussion is about the 2005 White Sox World Series jerseys. I attended the Sox garage sale after the World Series year. The Sox had racks of the black alternative jerseys available as they were issued as World Series jerseys but the Sox never wore them as they wore the white pinstripes at the two home games and the gray unis for the last two games at Houston. There were very World Series jerseys for sale in white pinstripes or gray road- I grabbed the only two players jerseys I saw - grey visitors jerseys of El Duque and Pablo Ozuna. At the garage sale I talked to an employee of the Sox who told me the Sox issued two road jerseys to each player. Most likely one was worn in each game. He also said nearly all of the players took home the jersey they worn on the game four championship night. So in theory (but hard to prove) the two jerseys I bought were from Game 3 in Houston.
Does anyone know any more about the World Series jerseys?
Is it true that there were two sets issued for gray? What about the White?

Typo I should have said There were NOT very many World Series jerseys for sale in white pinstripes or gray road- I grabbed the only two players jerseys I saw - grey visitors jerseys of El Duque and Pablo Ozuna

sox83cubs84
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM
A number of 2005 Sox jerseys at the 2006 sales were ones with the patch added, regardless of actual WS use.

With the Fall Classic being a sweep, it could be argued that the black alternates and home vests with the patch might have been used if there was a Game 5, 6 or 7. Still, only the standard homes and grey roads were actually worn in WS games.

Dave Miedema

PALEHOSE1
03-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks Dave- so what are you saying about the white jerseys and the gray roads? I understood tha tthe vests and black alternate were not game used but could it be true that there were only two sets of the World series gray road and white pinstripes?
GB

AstrosGU
03-19-2013, 08:09 PM
From what I understand, the White Sox slapped World Series patches on every jersey they had on hand after the season.

PALEHOSE1
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
what's odd is they are tagged 05-48-set1 and 05-46-set1. The Sox rep said there were two road World Series jerseys for each player - would they be set 1?

sox83cubs84
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks Dave- so what are you saying about the white jerseys and the gray roads? I understood tha tthe vests and black alternate were not game used but could it be true that there were only two sets of the World series gray road and white pinstripes?
GB

Certainly possible, although I don't think being set 1s make them any more likely to be a WS jersey than set 2s or others.

Dave M.

frikativ54
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM

I own a 2005 WS jersey, but it's a gamer from a player on the losing team.

As for Sox shirts, I've heard the same thing as others, namely, that the White Sox slapped the WS patches on all their jerseys.

Quite a disappointment for collectors, IMO. If it wasn't at least issued for the WS, then I wouldn't want a WS patch on it.

karamaxjoe
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
I have yet to see a rock solid home World Series Sox 05 jersey hit the market. I noticed a few clowns on Craig's List try to pass along a few that didn't come close to matching up.

I wouldn't touch any of those jerseys unless it had rock solid provenance from the player and I would bet all the Sox players kept everything. It will be a while before anything shows up on the market.

frikativ54
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't touch any of those jerseys unless it had rock solid provenance from the player and I would bet all the Sox players kept everything. It will be a while before anything shows up on the market.

I agree with you that I'd need rock solid provenance to purchase a WS jersey. However, the team could have saved stuff or some other sources could have acquired some. Do the Sox keep any of their gamers as part of an archive? As for my purchase, I know that I wouldn't have bought my gamer without beyond all doubts photomatches.

karamaxjoe
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
However, the team could have saved stuff or some other sources could have acquired some. Do the Sox keep any of their gamers as part of an archive?

I haven't seen any WS jerseys displayed and they only display stuff in the food area behind the Scout Seats. Those seats are for the big money guys. Also that stuff is definitely not for sale. Hopefully some day the Sox will build a Hall of Fame like some other teams and display everything for everyone.

35th&Shields
03-21-2013, 08:00 PM
It does suck that there is no consistency when tagging these jerseys. I've seen White Sox jerseys in general set 1's with light/no use and set 4's with solid photo matches and moderate wear. Set 2's with none. Every player is different thats for sure. I would give 3 sets of each style MAX. I mean how hard can it be to have a tighter inventory of these players gamers. IMO thats where these teams drop the ball. If its not gonna be used/worn DONT put a strip tag on it. Plain and simple.

The last garage sale I seen a '97 issued jersey for sale? I guess you can say issued because it had a label under the Russel Athletic tag 1997-1. From time to time the Sox will auction off jerseys from years ago. OK?? So where has this jersey been sitting the past few years then? I've seen a jersey inside the stadium club of '91 salesman sample #27 with no Inagural year patch, red rawlings label on the lower front with 1991 set 1 flag tag. CRAP really! Then I come across a 1995 Blk Alt Wilson Thomas jersey hanging on the wall. Why not just keep it all real!

A display/HOF room would be sweet. While trying to photomatch these gamers I have. I come across tons of vintage photos and wonder where all these gamers are? You see some pop up from time to time and otheres recycled from collector to collector. There are tons more that have not surfaced.

If any Sox collector has a solid '05 WS jersey photo matched. I will give you $50 to post.

BernBabyBern
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
PALEHOSE1
Can you shoot me an e-mail?
Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com