PDA

View Full Version : Topps Game Used Bat Knobs

soxbats
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Ok, I will admit that I am squarely in the camp of hating the carving up of historic lumber, although for current guys I am less so.

However, I had to laugh when I saw the below link to the 1 of 1 Jim Rice Topps bat knob. Last time I checked Rice wore #14. I assume it was a Rice bat, probably used by Tony Armas. If your card is going to focus on the knob, it would be nice to have the correct knob number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-Tier-One-1-JIM-RICE-Red-Sox-GAME-USED-BAT-KNOB-Serial-Numbered-1-1-/130758380381

There are a few sites with pictures of all the knob cards that have been pulled, and there are a few more that raise questions. An interesting collection of exemplars for game used collectors, even though it is unfortunate that they are revealed as part of the destruction of the bats.

MJB14
03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I saw this when they released the images previewing the product prior to its release. You're right about the bat they cut. It was actually for sale on ebay for a while. As a Rice collector I used to notice it all the time in my search results then one day it was gone. Topps must have purchased it. It in fact was a Rice signature model that had no Rice characteristics and had Armas' #20 on the knob. Yaz was the most notorious of this as he used to frequently use Rice's signature model bats.

ChrisCavalier
03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Yaz was the most notorious of this as he used to frequently use Rice's signature model bats.
Funny you say that MJB. I have a Jim Rice rookie era bat (1973-75) that was likely used by Yaz given there is the number '8' is written on the knob in black marker.

-Chris