PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle Bat 1973-75 Records

sammy
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
In the current Vintage Authentics auction there is a Mickey Mantle coach's bat, Lot 99.

Description:

Blonde H&B Louisville Slugger K55 signature model bat used by 500 HR Club icon Mickey Mantle most likely during Spring Training circa 1973-75 while working as a coach for the New York Yankees. The bat perfectly matches known player shipments to Mantle in February of 1974. It measures 33 oz and 35" exhibiting significant game use throughout with medium ball surface stitch, and rack marks across the barrel's surface with nice deep factory stampings. The handle remains intact with Mickey's #7 faded across the knob. This bat with nice use associated with coaching/instruction earns a final authentic grade of 7 overall.

According to the MEARS LOO, on 2-25-74 Mantle ordered K-55 model bats that weighed 37 oz and were 35" in lenght.

Two things.

How does this bat perfectly match known player shipments to Mantle in February of 1974?

Mantle ordered 37 oz bats and the one on auction weighs 33oz?

I seriously doubt this bat lost 4 ozs of weight in 22 years.

Do you think that is likely?

JimCaravello
11-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Sammy - Mantle only had one bat order in 1974. There was an order for one ( 1 ) Old Timer's bat - M110 model that was 35" long and 31 ounces. I have reviewed the bat you have questioned in Vintage Authentics auction. The MEARS cert is in conflict with itself and is wrong.

Let's start with Mantle's factory records first. There is not an order in February of 1974 for 35" and 37 ounce K55 bats. My copy of Mantle's Factory Records clearly show only the one order for Mantle bats in 1974 mentioned above. There is an order on February 25, 1971 for K55 model bats - 35" and 37 ounces - Four ( 4 ) bats were ordered. It appears that MEARS has confused 1971 with 1974.

Secondly - on the MEARS Cert - it clearly states the bat in auction is 35" and 33 ounces and does not match anything listed for Mantle in the 1973 - 1975 labeling period in his records. During the 73-75 labeling period, Mantle had only the one order in 1974 mentioned above.

The bat in question doesn't come close to matching the order from 1971 because of the four ounce weight differential - but then again, the bat in question is a 1973 - 1975 label bat and thus the MEARS cert is wrong and in conflict with itself.

To answer your question about weight loss ( and there are varying opinions on this ) - there is no way a bat from this labeling period loses four ounces. I don't care what any authenticator or bat expert tells you.......

This is truly sloppy work by the authenticator - not only is it sloppy, but its wrong and is negligent. The opening bid for this bat at $1,000 is ridiculous and there is already one bid.

On top of this, I have not seen this bat in person - but the grain and the quality of the wood do not resemble professional grade ash. I could be wrong on this, but from the pics, the bat looks very "storish model" or "promotional" to me. That's my opinion - not a fact. I would want to inspect this bat in person to give a final judgement on that comment - but nonetheless, MEARS has incorrectly graded and certified to the authenticity of this bat matching factory records and graded it A7 which is a travesty.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Thanks, Jim