PDA

View Full Version : A. Benitz Edgardo Alfonzo Mets game used bat?

bgold
03-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi all, am new to the forum. Been enjoying collecting game used stuff so thought may as well join, as I always find my research brings me here.

When I first started out buying game used stuff I bought this game used Armando Benitez bat without knowing what I was doing. It wasn't until later that I realized it has Fonzie's tape job as well as his #13 on each end.I later found out that it is customary from time to time for players to use anther's bat. Is this an Edgardo Alfonzo game used bat? Stamp reads 663B 099 01. Bat has tons of use. Would love some input. Still working on getting the pictures right, so apologies for the layout.

metsbats
03-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes it probably is. I have a Dennis Cook bat from 2000 which has Alfonzo's 13 on the knob and his tape job in the handle. He's certainly used other players bats in the past.

metsbats
03-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Here's a photo of these bats.

bgold
03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks David! In one of my old SI baseball previews they had a feature on players and their baseball bats. Found it today and gave it a read, Piazza and Ventura were featured, apparently Robin used tons of other bats in games, was something he liked to do on a consistent basis.

metsbats
03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks David! In one of my old SI baseball previews they had a feature on players and their baseball bats. Found it today and gave it a read, Piazza and Ventura were featured, apparently Robin used tons of other bats in games, was something he liked to do on a consistent basis.

I remember that article. If you have the 2000 Topps WS set take at look at the Jay Payton card and you can see that he was using a Alfonzo (full name block letter) similar to the one in the above photo.

During the 2002 season duing a batting slump Roberto Alomar starting using Piazza's Mizuno bats.

I also have a 1987 Lee Mazzilli bat which I think may have been one of the first bats David Cone used after he was traded to the Mets. The Mazzilli bat has Lee's number blacken out and "Cone" "44" written on it. I particularily like this bat because Cone was traded from KC for Ed Hearn.

cfern023
03-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Can you post the name of the article?

bgold
03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
March 25th, 2002 SI baseball preview, article is titled "Me and My Bat".

metsbats
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I can't see to find my SI with that article. It's probably bury somewhere.

metsbats
03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
The magic of the internet!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025241/2/index.htm