PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you before?

chakes89
03-08-2013, 10:38 PM
So here is my story, I was bidding on and winning a game worn fielding glove earlier this week on eBay when all of a sudden I get an email saying that all of my bids were cancelled and that the item had ended because the seller "No longer had the item" or some nonsense like that. So I'm a little irritated with this and send the seller a message asking whats going on because I was extremely interested in the glove and was really looking forward to adding it to my collection.

Well my first message gets no reply so I wait a few days and send another message asking if the glove was sold off of eBay because I would like to track it down one way or another. Once again I get no response and as of right now, have received no other communication about the glove.

Am I wrong in my thinking that I should be upset about this and am owed some type of explanation? Or am I just out luck?

I am asking because I am just really confused at the lack of communication especially since I was winning the auction, actively bidding on another of his items and had intentions on bidding on several more items. (Which is something that I won't be doing now, mainly because of the lack of communication)

Note:The seller has put up new items since my initial messages so it's not like he didn't have access to eBay. I just don't like being ignored especially when I was ready to purchase at least 2-3 items from him.

BHawk
03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
I assume the seller got an offer from someone else and accepted it. I often get offers to buy popular items if I'll end the auction early, but I don't think it's fair to do that. I don't think it's against their policy, though.

arminter1989
03-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Yes, that can become very frustrating when a seller ends an item early. eBay now charges sellers fee's for the amount of bids that have been placed on an item if a seller ends the auction early.

trsent
03-08-2013, 11:54 PM
I assume the seller got an offer from someone else and accepted it. I often get offers to buy popular items if I'll end the auction early, but I don't think it's fair to do that. I don't think it's against their policy, though.

It is against policy to end a listing early and sell it off eBay. I think it isn't against policy to put item up with buy-it-now and sell it and then end the auction, but I'm confused by all eBay's policies.

Yes, that can become very frustrating when a seller ends an item early. eBay now charges sellers fee's for the amount of bids that have been placed on an item if a seller ends the auction early.

I have not heard of this new policy. Do you have a link to the page that describes this policy?

Dach0sen0ne
03-09-2013, 01:38 AM
I have not heard of this new policy. Do you have a link to the page that describes this policy?

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2012b/earlyendingauctions.html

tbone90
03-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes! This has happened to me before as well and on many,many occasions. I feel your same frustration. It just all comes down to common courtesy...and there simply isn't any anymore. Especially with many (not all) ebay sellers.

Just recently there was a Ryan Zimmerman gamer for sale/bid. I contacted the seller with some questions about the bat and what he was looking for to sell the bat through the best offer option he had listed the bat with. He was very prompt with a response including the offers he had reveiced as well as what he was looking for. So I submitted an offer higher than any he had received and what seemed to be around the amount he was looking for. Within 30 minutes my offer was declined and the bat pulled from ebay because of the all infamous "...item is no longer available." And never a peep from the seller.

Oh well. I'll keep trolling the waters and hope for better luck next time...

trsent
03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2012b/earlyendingauctions.html

I think I like this policy as a buyer:
Highlights

Starting October 1, sellers will be charged a fee to end an Auction-style listing early if it has received a bid.
The fee will equal the amount of the final value fee had the listing ended naturally and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing.
In rare situations, a seller may need to end a listing early, so the fee will be waived the first time a seller ends a listing early each calendar year.

xpress34
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Chakes -

I'll go you one better.

A few years back I was bidding on a GU 2008 ASG BP jersey of Lance Berkman.

I actually WON the auction and promptly paid.

Within 1/2 and hour of my PayPal payment (which was made within 5 minutes of the auction end), I received an eMail that my Payment had been refunded.

I wrote the seller and they told me the item was no longer available. They weren't willing to do anything for me. They said that the jersey had actually sold a day earlier to 'a friend down the street', yet they let the auction run. I personally think they didn't like the price it realized.

I wrote eBay to no avail and when I came here to GUU about it, was basically told to quit crying over spilt milk, so you may get a lot of crap for even bringing it up, but I for one feel your pain.

- Smitty

plinvestments
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Ebay is a two way street. Sellers can weasel out of selling you an item just as buyers can weasel their way out of paying you for an item.