PDA

View Full Version : WBC GU Items thru Highland Mint...

Murph4Prez
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I was given the contact info for a gentleman at the Highland Mint in regards to GU WBC items. I wanted to pick up some Murph items from the WBC, and was surprised at the price for the nameplate and BP jersey.

The nameplate for Murph was a price of $500 :eek: and the BP jersey was $750.

Does this sound like a fair price for these items?

Thanks for any and all information/dialogue!

rdeversole
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Does this sound like a fair price for these items?

No, unless you feel that they are worth that much to you.

Murph4Prez
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Good point... Have you seen some of the WBC items hit MLB auctions? Or is there a very low supply that actually makes it to the auction?

I am looking to get a nameplate for a locker I am building for my sports room. A Murph nameplate would be perfect for my GU items.

And I'd love to get a jersey, but the price seems quite high. I could see paying $300ish... maybe a little more... but $750?!

Just wanted to get the opinions of the GUU community before I went forward.

loanapprover
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Try to negotiate a lower price, it always ends up starting high with their quotes and they usually come down. In theory MLB is setting the prices but they can submit a lower price to MLB and see if they will accept it.

Murph4Prez
03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I am comparing prices on MLB auctions and none of the nameplates are nearly that high.

Is it a case of taking a chance of items never hitting MLB auctions because Highland Mint sells them off before they have a chance to go to auction?

I really want to pick up the Murph nameplate and a jersey but think that the prices are outrageous.

I guess I will counter next week... But may have to hope they hit MLB auctions and can get them at a lower price.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I am comparing prices on MLB auctions and none of the nameplates are nearly that high.

Is it a case of taking a chance of items never hitting MLB auctions because Highland Mint sells them off before they have a chance to go to auction?

I really want to pick up the Murph nameplate and a jersey but think that the prices are outrageous.

I guess I will counter next week... But may have to hope they hit MLB auctions and can get them at a lower price.

The reason the nameplates are so high from Highland is because they frame them with commemorative coins etc....much like they do for ASG each year

Murph4Prez
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I asked about the price for just the nameplate--I want to use it on lockers I'm building in my sports room. Was quoted $350 for just the nameplate.

If that's the going price then so be it... But I wanted to ask the opinion of the board members.

trsent
03-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Wow - I have a bunch of WBC jerseys on eBay a few years ago and most sold $100 - $300 for common players and minor stars. Sounds like Highland Mint may have overpaid.

xpress34
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Ever since HM took over getting the ASG jerseys, prices escalated, so no surprise they are that high for WBC through them.

Example:

Andrew Lang obtained Matt Holliday's 2006 ASG BP Jersey (The Game Used one) for me a few years back. That's from Matt's 1st ASG. I believe it was around $800.00 and Andrew sourced it directly from MLB.

A couple of years back when HM took over, the guy running the program wrote me and offered me Matt's GU BP jersey - for like $2200.00. He wrote me a few times eventually coming down to $1400.00 but I still passed.

Just an FYI.

- Smitty

Klattsy
03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I got quoted prices $299-$399 for Aussie players. As in worn 3 games then knocked out. Guys you've never heard of. Can't justify that much. Not when I just bought some 09's for $150. I'll have to wait for secondary market. Unfortunately these prices are way out of my league, as well as most Aussie collectors down here.

Strangely, I then got another email saying put in an offer, if it's accepted its yours...strange way of doing business from MLB/Highland. Makes it hard when you're trying to organise sales from about 4-5 different people down here. I'd rather they give me a price and then I can ask people yes or no.

Murph4Prez
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
That's what threw me a bit... The gentleman contacted me after I emailed him a while back about getting Murph GU stuff from the WBC. It was nice that he got back to me, customer service and communication nowadays is hard to get.

I told him I'd be interested in the Murph GU BP jersey, nameplate, and possibly a first base from a USA game since Murph is coaching 1st.

He said I could put in an offer for each. The BP jersey he suggested $750, nameplate $500, and he said the 1B would probably run $1000.

I wavered on the $500 for a nameplate and he replied that he could try and submit $350 and see if MLB would accept it.

Not asking for a steal of a deal, but I'm a school teacher so I just can't see those being reasonable prices.

I have noticed the Larkin Brazil jersey on the MLB WBC auctions for $360. So I ask the question: will the USA GU stuff make it to the auction?

Trying to be smart about it and not overpay by an exorbitant amount. But man would some of that WBC GU stuff be sweet to add to my collection!

Murph4Prez
03-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Reason I said I'm a school teacher was because we don't make a lot of money haha! Gotta be smart about it.

Murph4Prez
03-11-2013, 08:51 AM
bumping for anyone who wants to add their input.

MarkakisMania
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
bumping for anyone who wants to add their input.

In my experience with Highland they are great in terms of the service and Jim is fantastic to work with however as noted by several posters they are not cheap which does have to do with them needing to get prices approved by MLB before they can commit to a final sale price. In some cases when I have contacted them for the initial time to find out a price, the prices are just off the chart. You will have to try to negotiate with them and as mentioned Jim will try to get you the best price that he can.

I have found that they will actually hold onto items rather than blow them out at a lower price even if it is old stale inventory.

It really ends up being a bit of a gamble as you can hold off and hope that nobody else is all in to obtain the piece you want and sometimes you win that bet and sometimes you lose. I have waited hoping that the price would drop or they would go to auction on MLB and maybe I could snag it cheaper and someone else ended up buying what I was looking for.

Ultimately you have to decide what you are willing and able to spend and stick to that price.

Jeb

godwulf
03-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I purchased one of Gerardo Parra's 2009 WBC Team Venezuela jerseys from Highland a couple of years ago for $350. Like to get one from this year, as well, but only if it's priced similarly. Of course I'd also be happy to pull down one of the Bloomquist, Bell or Hernandez Team USA jerseys, but suspect all the US items are going to be priced pretty high.

They were selling and auctioning some items here at Chase Field over the weekend, to benefit Diamondbacks Charities, including a GU base from the U.S.-Mexico game. (They started the bidding at $500 - not sure what the sale price was.) For the time being, I'm happy to have picked up a Ryan Vogelsong-pitched ball from the US-Italy game for fifty bucks.

nkeubie
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I've been talking to a guy named Kirk at HM. I'm after a low end Team USA player and was told jerseys would be between $750-$1000. I'm very willing to pay a premium for a WBC jersey but that is kinda crazy. I offered $400 for a home jersey, $400 for an away jersey, $200 for the Warmup jersey, and $100 for the nameplate. I'm fairly confident they will not accept but that is as far as I'm comfortable going.

Nick

Beckster24
03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
What is there email I would be interested in contacting them

Murph4Prez
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Go to MLB.com and find the auctions... somewhere on there will be a link for the Highland Mint--they are one of the vendors on contract with MLB.

dplettn
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
What is there email I would be interested in contacting them

jbowley@thehighlandmint.com

Jessica4Bama
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog4020/folder111385/img11241824med.jpg

I didn't want to start a new WBC thread so I thought I would post this here. I am interested in purchasing this Prado jersey, but could someone tell me what is that staining on both shoulders? Is it pine tar? He always uses a lot of tar which gets on his jerseys, but I don't know if this is pine tar.

Murph4Prez
03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Jessica,

Looks like pine tar to me. Might be on both shoulders because he may have rested the bat on the opposite shoulder in the on deck circle?

That is one jersey non-USA that I thought about bidding on. But I am trying to save funds for Murph/Braves purchases!

Jags Fan Dan
03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Just my opinion, but the price on the name plate is outlandish. $350 still seems astronomical. If there is the possibility you will ever need/want to get the money back out of the items, The price on that would need to be a lot lower.

loanapprover
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Their prices are crazy they started at $750 then dropped to $499 then $299 and that's still way too much. MLB just auctioned a bunch of plates from the 09 WBC and nice ones Chipper, Pedroia, McCann and they only went for in the $75-100 range.

The jersey I wanted was $1250 no thanks

Beckster24
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
jbowley@thehighlandmint.com

Thanks for that

H2R-JU10
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Did anyone purchased any 2013 WBC memorabilia?

MLB~NUT
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I got a email from Highland Mint for the locker tags!:p I had to laugh at their prices, Ive bought two GU Jerseys of a well known player for less than what they wanted for Molina's or Beltran's locker plate!:eek:

Klattsy
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Prices way to high to start with for me. But I know i'm a cheapskate so even if they where halved i'd waiver. Will just have to wait 4 years for prices to resemble 2009 gear!

esigs
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Today I received Brazil's Andre Rienzo jersey from MLB Auctions. Growing up in Brazil I had no idea that one day it would have players playing baseball professionally, much less in the big game.

I noticed that the design of the 2013 WBC jerseys is the same as the 2012 All Star Game BP jerseys, and the fabric feels/looks the same as well, clearly different than the regular season jerseys. The design looks like this year's Spring Training jerseys as well. Did anyone noticed that as well?

esigs
03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
I also received this ball hit for a single by Rays' prospect Leonardo Reginatto in the game vs. Cuba.