PDA

View Full Version : Dick Allen A's Jersey on Ebay

BHawk
03-08-2013, 12:34 AM
I see a Dick Allen jersey listed on Ebay as "1977 RICHIE DICK ALLEN OAKLAND A'S AUTOGRAPHED GAME USED ROAD JERSEY PHILLIES." The only picture in the listing is of a Mastro Net COA, but the description is that the jersey has a Rawlings tag. As far as I know the A's used only McAuliffe jerseys in 1977. Then I looked and found a Legendary Auctions listing for the jersey in 2001, Rawlings tag and LOA from Dan Knoll and Dave Bushing. What am I missing?

sox83cubs84
03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I see a Dick Allen jersey listed on Ebay as "1977 RICHIE DICK ALLEN OAKLAND A'S AUTOGRAPHED GAME USED ROAD JERSEY PHILLIES." The only picture in the listing is of a Mastro Net COA, but the description is that the jersey has a Rawlings tag. As far as I know the A's used only McAuliffe jerseys in 1977. Then I looked and found a Legendary Auctions listing for the jersey in 2001, Rawlings tag and LOA from Dan Knoll and Dave Bushing. What am I missing?

Rawlings did not supply the A's in 1977...McAuliffe did. The size 40 and Rawlings tag descriptives are the same as a jersey I was asked to examine by a major auction house a few months back and that I rejected, and which they returned to the consignor. At the time, the jersey used a NOB of ALLEN. The WAMPUM NOB is correct, but it looks much newer in the photo than the 60 below it. Allen took at least a 44 at the time. All told, Mastronet LOA or not, I'd avoid this jersey like Deion Sanders used to avoid tackling.

Dave Miedema

RJB44
03-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I agree, no Rawlings for the A's at all during the 1970s.

BHawk
03-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Sometimes you hear about a player insisting on wearing a different manufacturer's jersey, but I don't think anyone was doing that in the 1970's. I'm surprised that the jersey has been authenticated and that so many people have bid so much.

I also wonder how many fake Dick Allen A's jerseys are out there. I bought a green 1977 McAuliffe jersey with the number 60 and D. Allen (in very bright white letters) on the back 10 or 15 years ago. I didn't think it was really his jersey, but it was a genuine McAuliffe A's jersey and it was less than $200, so I thought it was still worth it.

sox83cubs84
03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
When I worked for MEARS, I saw one fake Allen A's jersey that was even crazier than this one. The jersey was a McAuliffe, but had thick trim tail at the bottom, somewhat similar to the sleeve trim. The WAMPUM NOB was present, but, when I looked closely at the back of the jersey, I saw the remnants of a previous NOB, though no previous number. Bottom line, this "Allen" shirt was one issued to Trainer Joe Romo that had been creatively altered to look like an Allen shirt.

Dave Miedema

RJB44
03-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Dave,
Did that ROMO Jersey happen to be white?

sox83cubs84
03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Dave,
Did that ROMO Jersey happen to be white?

No...gold.

Dave M.