PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication and Photomatching

Rob L
03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Quick opinion question. I have a Troy Percival JRD jersey from 2009 that is MLB Authenicated. Percy pitched in the game and I have screenshots with him wearing the number 42 jersey. No obvious identifiers on the jersey of a photomatch, other than the 42 on the jersey. Since the jersey is Authenicated to that game, do you all consider that a photomatch?

Dewey2007
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
To me it's not a photomatch in the classic sense so this type of specialty jersey might need it's own category...Something like authentication matched?

Quick opinion question. I have a Troy Percival JRD jersey from 2009 that is MLB Authenicated. Percy pitched in the game and I have screenshots with him wearing the number 42 jersey. No obvious identifiers on the jersey of a photomatch, other than the 42 on the jersey. Since the jersey is Authenicated to that game, do you all consider that a photomatch?

Rob L
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
To me it's not a photomatch in the classic sense so this type of specialty jersey might need it's own category...Something like authentication matched?

That's what I'm thinking! It is the jersey bit I don't have a loose thread or something to make the classic photomatch.

rufusandherschel
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm not aware of any MLB team wearing a jersey any different from their regular season home and road jerseys other than the #42 on their JRD jersey. So, how, and why, should attempting to photomatch a JRD jersey be any different than attempting to match a regular season jersey?

Rob L
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm not aware of any MLB team wearing a jersey any different from their regular season home and road jerseys other than the #42 on their JRD jersey. So, how, and why, should attempting to photomatch a JRD jersey be any different than attempting to match a regular season jersey?

Attempting is fine, but it can't always be done. Below are photos of the jersey and the best screen shots from the game. Is that the same jersey? Of course. Is it a photomatch (by the usual definition used by collectors)? No. I would venture to guess that half of the people here would agree that it is the same jersey but the photos don't show a definitive match (ie. visible signs that are on the jersey and seen in the photos.

yanks12025
03-08-2013, 05:11 AM
I have the same issue with a 2011 Tim Collins jersey. He pitched to two batters but jersey doesn't show anything to match it to.

rufusandherschel
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I understand the problem/issue. Then, maybe the problem is one of 'semantics', i.e., photomatch, as used/accepted within the hobby. Match means 'an equal', which this thread implies/suggests/purports that there is/might be no definitive way of knowing or ascertaining for some JRD jerseys.

If so, what's the problem? Isn't/Wouldn't MLB Authentication (as in the case of the Rays Percival jersey), in and of itself, be good enough?

Are we getting a bit 'carried-away' with photomatching?

Rob L
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I understand the problem/issue. Then, maybe the problem is one of 'semantics', i.e., photomatch, as used/accepted within the hobby. Match means 'an equal', which this thread implies/suggests/purports that there is/might be no definitive way of knowing or ascertaining for some JRD jerseys.

If so, what's the problem? Isn't/Wouldn't MLB Authentication (as in the case of the Rays Percival jersey), in and of itself, be good enough?

Are we getting a bit 'carried-away' with photomatching?

I agree that it is a semantic issue. For the JRD jerseys, I think it's safe to say that the jersey in the photos is one in the same, particularly with the MLB authentication. But, what if it was a backup jersey to be sold by the team.

I do have a 1999 AS game jersey of Percival's with a Baseball Assistance Team LOA. Turns out that BAT assumed they were collecting the GU jersey, however, many players gave the backup jerseys to BAT and kept their gamer. I have screenshots of Percival warming up for the game but the jersey doesn't match.
It appears BAT received the second jersey in this case. I wonder if this happens with MLB authenticated items.

HawaiiSportsNut
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I got lucky with my Kurt Suzuki JRD jersey. It's only because the staining from his chest protector strap on the shoulders.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/735/xxguu.jpg

Rob L
03-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I got lucky with my Kurt Suzuki JRD jersey. It's only because the staining from his chest protector strap on the shoulders.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/735/xxguu.jpg

Sweet!! Great jersey! A CSUF Titan no less (my alma mater).

rufusandherschel
03-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I agree that it is a semantic issue. For the JRD jerseys, I think it's safe to say that the jersey in the photos is one in the same, particularly with the MLB authentication. But, what if it was a backup jersey to be sold by the team.

I do have a 1999 AS game jersey of Percival's with a Baseball Assistance Team LOA. Turns out that BAT assumed they were collecting the GU jersey, however, many players gave the backup jerseys to BAT and kept their gamer. I have screenshots of Percival warming up for the game but the jersey doesn't match.
It appears BAT received the second jersey in this case. I wonder if this happens with MLB authenticated items.

The situation you described re. the backup 1999 AS jerseys and BAT LOA is a problem I will admit. Can it happen with MLB authenticated items? I believe it can, and does, based on the (number of) MLB authenticated errors I have seen to date.

I guess my point is why does each and every item have to be 'photomatched' to guarantee it's authenticity when it's not (or might not be) physically possible to do so. Hence, my comment about carrying photomatching too far. When is enough enough?

yanks12025
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
But players are only issued one JRD jersey, aren't they?

Klattsy
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Similar to MiLB and ABL jerseys. Players are only issued 1 home, 1 away jersey, but I wouldn't consider it a photo match without a lose thread dirt//pin stripe line up. Semantics, yes. But its not technically a MATCH if there's nothing to MATCH it too. What if he ripped a jersey midway through the season and needed another? Or changed sizes mid-season?