PDA

View Full Version : Western Union as method of payment?

GameUsedGR61
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
This might be a dumb question but I have never used western union before in my life. I am planning on using their service to acquire a game used item outside of the USA. I know you have options of doing it online but i prefer to do it in person at a place that offers Western Union

Can someone please explain to me the process on how it works? In other words, besides the cash, what else would I need and what do I need from the seller. Any help would be appreciated

yanks12025
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Hopefully you trust the seller. You have no protection what so ever with western union.

buccofan1990
03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Unless you know the person this is a bad idea. I work for a company that offers Western Union services and I have witnessed alot of people get scammed out of money one way or another. Be very very careful with sending western union to someone you do not know or have not done business with.

Hope that helps

Dylan

earlywynnfan
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I've never heard of a memorabilia transaction involving overseas sellers and Western Union that wasn't a scam.

Ken

marino13
03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Unlike NIKE

Western Union as method of payment?

Just DON'T DO IT

spartakid
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Just to echo everyone else, terrible idea, just playing with fire.

Hangtime8
03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Are you buying something from a Nigerian Prince?

onlyalbert
03-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Don't do it! You'll never see the item or the money again.

trsent
03-08-2013, 01:30 AM
I've never heard of a memorabilia transaction involving overseas sellers and Western Union that wasn't a scam.

Ken

Very well put!

Tell them to take PayPal and use a credit card to pay with PayPal and take your chances that way or don't gamble on the item. It's too risky.

karamaxjoe
03-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Is this a joke?.....seriously?

Sounds like the email scam where you're going to inherit all these real valuable jerseys from your long lost cousin in the Ukraine, but he needs a $1000.00 to ship them to you.:rolleyes:

project 4
03-09-2013, 12:28 AM
No. I can't stress it enough. My father in law got involved in a scam via ebay back when ebay was still at it's infancy stages. Dropped $7000 on a mercedes as down payment via western union. Obviously never heard from the guy again.

CampWest
03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't do it personally... Too much risk.

halzeus
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
This might be a dumb question but I have never used western union before in my life. I am planning on using their service to acquire a game used item outside of the USA. I know you have options of doing it online but i prefer to do it in person at a place that offers Western Union

Can someone please explain to me the process on how it works? In other words, besides the cash, what else would I need and what do I need from the seller. Any help would be appreciated

Did you end up paying with WU? How did this transaction turn out?

baines3
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but how about RECEIVING $$ from Western Union? An out of the country buyer wants a couple of my jerseys and wants to WU it to me. Anything to be wary about? Thanks!

GameUsedGR61
03-26-2013, 12:09 AM
UPDATE

I decided to take the risk anduse Western Union as a method of payment despite what all the members said on here (I do appreciate though all the concerns and the advice you all gave me)

I do not have paypal and did not want to put it on my credit card so I thought lets try it and see what happens. The transaction was not with anyone on this board, but it was with a European company that sells game used international soccer jerseys. They had Western Union as a method of payment so I contacted the person who ran the site and told me that all I needed from him was his name and the destination country.

After I got all of that information, I looked online and saw the numerous methods of using Western Union. I decided to do it in person so I went to a local quickie mart near my house. I chose this method because it gets there immediately once its processed, but the drawback was the fee they charge (the fee varies I think by where you are sending it and how much you are sending).

The person received my money the next day, kept in communication with me via email, sent me the tracking number and in two weeks I received my two items.