PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on/experience with selling a mid-range ($1,000-$5,000) game used item on eBay?

esquiresports
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
While I have made several purchases through auction houses, I have actually never consigned to one. One of my purchases came with two game used items, and I am interested in selling one.

I was thinking about placing the item on eBay, thinking that maybe its connection to a respected auction house could assist with a sale.

I am hoping to get feedback from forum users on a couple particular questions:

1. Have you had any success selling game used items valued between $1000 and $5000 on eBay?

2. Do you see any downside to trying this route and, if it doesn't work, consigning to an auction house?

Thanks for the insights,
Scott

Samets
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Keep in mind that about 10% will go to eBay in fees...

gorilla777
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Agreed, thru eBay there are the fees of around 10%, plus you may not have as many real serious buyers.
The drawback with auction houses is the fees can add up to quite a bit more, maybe 20-30%, so you really need them to maximize the gross price on the item for you. The higher end ones should have the clientele to do that, but still you are also waiting start to finish on getting paid maybe 3-6 months, depending on lead time to their auction.
For something in the $1,500 range, eBay isn't really a bad option. Your best route, of course, is private sale where all the funds go to you alone.

gorilla777
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I think it will make a big difference too whether the item is closer to $5k and not $1k. If you go to eBay, just place a reserve on it to protect yourself.

hfd0035
03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
While I have made several purchases through auction houses, I have actually never consigned to one. One of my purchases came with two game used items, and I am interested in selling one.

I was thinking about placing the item on eBay, thinking that maybe its connection to a respected auction house could assist with a sale.

I am hoping to get feedback from forum users on a couple particular questions:

1. Have you had any success selling game used items valued between $1000 and $5000 on eBay?

2. Do you see any downside to trying this route and, if it doesn't work, consigning to an auction house?

Thanks for the insights,
Scott

I sold a jersey a few weeks ago on Ebay for $4000+. If your worried about fees just list the price to cover them. I dont see a downside at all to Ebay compared to an auction house. With an auction house your taking a chance with the market price as well as fees. Plenty of big time collect search Ebay. Im actually pretty sure a big time dealer is who bought my jersey.

Samets
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I tend to lean toward buying on eBay as it allows me to use a credit card to fund a purchase vs paying cash (sending a check).

The problem I see most of the time is sellers that think they have a holy grail and ask astronomical prices for average merchandise...

commando
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Two thumbs up for selling Ebay, especially if you know how much you want to get for the item. I am a big fan of the "Buy It Now" feature, and list most of my items that way. If you would be happy getting $2,000 for an item, just do the Buy It Now for that amount -- and it only takes one interested buyer with cash to take it. Would you have received more cash in a traditional auction format? Maybe. Would you have received less? Maybe. But I have sold items very quickly using this feature.

I have been on Ebay since 1998, and have seen many gradual changes there over the years. I do have to say that buying and selling there has worked very well for me.

Good luck!

CampWest
03-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Like most others, eBay has worked out fine for me on a couple of higher dollar items.

I love the Buy It Now feature especially with a "require immediate payment". I am pretty well fed up with selling via auctions and Best Offers. I have had far too many people refuse to pay, the hassle of waiting and repeatedly requesting payments, and then the wait of cancelling the transaction to get fees refunded and then relisting the item. Its all just not worth it and you can't even leave negative feedback for the non-payers.

Also, with an item of that value, make sure you ship only to the paypal confirmed address and take proper precautions with insurance and signature confirmation. Last thing you want is someone claiming the item was not received, best to make them sign for it at thei confirmed address.

On the other hand, if its a George Brett bat/jersey, I'd say your best bet is to simply email me and save the hassle of selling on the open market... :p

paul457
03-05-2013, 05:18 PM
The problem I see most of the time is sellers that think they have a holy grail and ask astronomical prices for average merchandise...

And the flip side to that (as a seller) is dealing with ridiculous low-ball offers from people who think they should be able to buy everything for $9.99 with free shipping.

commando
03-05-2013, 05:26 PM
And the flip side to that (as a seller) is dealing with ridiculous low-ball offers from people who think they should be able to buy everything for $9.99 with free shipping.

I almost always use the option where you can automatically reject offers below the amount you choose. If I have a BIN price of $100 and am taking Best Offers, I'll usually auto-decline any offers below $50 or $60.

Mulligans
03-06-2013, 11:27 AM
I have been far more successful working with the Major Auction Houses.

More often than not, items sit on eBay with no activity at all. When I re list the same item at auction they will occasionally sell for double or triple what I was originally looking for.

I pay a 10% Sellers Fee using either option, but by using an Auction House, I get far better exposure to "Serious Buyers".

Samets
03-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I have been far more successful working with the Major Auction Houses.

More often than not, items sit on eBay with no activity at all. When I re list the same item at auction they will occasionally sell for double or triple what I was originally looking for.

I pay a 10% Sellers Fee using either option, but by using an Auction House, I get far better exposure to "Serious Buyers".

That does make sense since I would not buy high end items off of eBay.

esquiresports
03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's coming out around where I expected. No "obvious" answer on either side. The exposure from a major auction house is a big plus, but it sounds like I won't get hurt at least if I give online a shot first and see what happens.

kprst6
03-07-2013, 04:11 PM
If you really want to risk getting ripped off then sell on eBay.

I've been ripped off twice.

Once I sold a game worn jersey and the buyer claimed I sent them a "Fish T-Shirt and Book on a black guy" instead. The person that "purchased" the jersey also picked it up at the post office and it was signed for by a completely different person than was listed on the Paypal account. They opened up a dispute with eBay, won the case and sent me back an empty box with signature required/delivery confirmation. The second the empty box was confirmed, they got a refund and I was out hundreds of dollars.

The second time I was ripped off, I sent a game used hockey stick to a buyer. This time they claimed that the box was empty (Even though I sent it to them bubble wrapped) and eBay sided with the buyer. They refunded their money and since they allegedly had nothing to return, they weren't even required to send me an empty box.

Moral of the story, I only deal with people within my collecting network, those with proven public collections (websites, photo accounts), in person, or accept cashiers/money order/Paypal as "Money Owed" only from all others. I refuse to sell anything on eBay, however I'll buy things knowing I can't get ripped off since I'll get a full refund.

esquiresports
03-07-2013, 04:19 PM
If you really want to risk getting ripped off then sell on eBay.

I've been ripped off twice.

Once I sold a game worn jersey and the buyer claimed I sent them a "Fish T-Shirt and Book on a black guy" instead. The person that "purchased" the jersey also picked it up at the post office and it was signed for by a completely different person than was listed on the Paypal account. They opened up a dispute with eBay, won the case and sent me back an empty box with signature required/delivery confirmation. The second the empty box was confirmed, they got a refund and I was out hundreds of dollars.

The second time I was ripped off, I sent a game used hockey stick to a buyer. This time they claimed that the box was empty (Even though I sent it to them bubble wrapped) and eBay sided with the buyer. They refunded their money and since they allegedly had nothing to return, they weren't even required to send me an empty box.

Moral of the story, I only deal with people within my collecting network, those with proven public collections (websites, photo accounts), in person, or accept cashiers/money order/Paypal as "Money Owed" only from all others. I refuse to sell anything on eBay, however I'll buy things knowing I can't get ripped off since I'll get a full refund.

That is absolutely horrible. Were these people that had much feedback? Are you allowed to leave a negative feedback at least, or does eBay prevent that since they sided with the buyers?

Nnunnari
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
If you want the money quickly, I would list the item on ebay with a low opening bid and a reserve. You may be able to work out a deal off of ebay and save yourself the fees once bidders start contacting you (even though ebay has started cracking down on that).
If it is a truly unique/rare item, I would send it to an auction house where anything can happen.
Or just send it to Ken Goldin where people pay $8k for a Cano bat.

KGoldin
03-08-2013, 06:45 PM
If you want the money quickly, I would list the item on ebay with a low opening bid and a reserve. You may be able to work out a deal off of ebay and save yourself the fees once bidders start contacting you (even though ebay has started cracking down on that).
If it is a truly unique/rare item, I would send it to an auction house where anything can happen.
Or just send it to Ken Goldin where people pay $8k for a Cano bat.

I 2nd the notion that Goldin Auctions will be able to maximize the price for you. Anyone at GUU is welcome to contact me personally or Chris if you have a unique item you wish to get the most for. i do not want to make this an advertisement, but suffice to say we have not only the most extensive list of game used collectors, but also the largest sports collectibles list of customers who are OUTSIDE OF the hobby. This means they will not normally peruse EBAY or another auction site, and you may be the person whose item that catches their imagination and it goes for triple what you expect.
regards and good luck
Ken Goldin
Ken@goldinauctions.com