PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos game used helmet?

trelude
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello im new to this forum and i was hoping for some help. I acquired this helmet and was told it was game used and signed by The Denver Broncos super bowl champ Ray Crockett . It came with no authenticity, it looks like a legitimate nfl game used helmet but what do I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated in determining if the helmet is authentic.
Trevor

abstractheory
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Hello - Everything looks correct to me, from the number decal to the warning label used during this time. This also includes the inside (the helmet) number decal. This matches-up with my Detron Smith gamer from 97/98 perfectly. I will try to throw some pics up to show you exactly what I'm talking about later tonight. Also, Denver changed their number decals on the back of the helmet from a circle to a rectangular one in 1999, so that bodes well for the time period too. For what it's worth, I would say, "Yes", it looks legit and I specifically collect Denver helmets.

trelude
03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the reply abstractheory so i did some more research and came across what i believe is to be the actual helmet he used in super bowl 33! I found an image that seems to support it if you look at the wrinkle in the hair of the bronco and the wear in the side of the chin strap. What do you think? What do you think it could be worth?

abstractheory
03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Yep! That looks like a match to me, too. The number decal placed it during the Super Bowl years, so i'm not surprised. Congratz, man! Very, very cool indeed. You aren't from CO. are you?

Btw, i still plan on posting some pics of my DS helmet so you can compare for yourself. Just having trouble with the "size" of the pics, and getting them to uplaod.

Once again, nice job!

Matt

trelude
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey Matt no im from Ca but i have family in Denver. Cant wait to see your helmet to compare. How much do you think its worth im having a hard time finding values?

abstractheory
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Man, that's a tough one. I won't bore you with the whole "It's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay" speech (although this is true). Instead, I will just go on my personal experiences when purchasing similar helmets in the past.

I bought my Detron Smith helmet (super bowl XXXII and XXXIII) for around $500.00 (photo matched). I bought a Jeff Lewis Super Bowl helmet (with super bowl back bumper still intact) for $700.00 (photo matched). And, finally, I purchased a Neil Smith SB XXXIII, from his auctions for $800.00 (W/ letter from Neil Smith).

Although I think some people might be turned off due to lack of paperwork, I have no doubt that it’s real, and think, for the people who know, wouldn’t have a problem buying it as is…I know I wouldn’t :D

I hope this helps a little. Just out of curiosity, are you looking into selling it, or just gauging prices?

Still trying to uplaod pics:confused:

abstractheory
03-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Here is some shots of the back and front of my DS I had in my archive. I will get you the inside helmet photo, too. At least you can compare the back decals for now.

cohibasmoker
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
What scares me about modern-day helmets is every part needed to make a helmet can be purchased on eBay. I am not big on LOA's but with the new stuff, a LOA would make a difference.

Just an opinion,

Jim

trelude
03-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I understand it might not go for top dollar. I think with that photo and a coa on the signature it would be enough to prove it . I mean the battle scars alone on it i dont think you can replicate =). As far as selling it i might due to i picked up a few other items when i got the helmet. I got a John elway throwback mini helmet and two 8x10s from Ray and Steve Atwater. Like you said though its worth what someone is willing to pay but how do you put a price on a signed piece of history that there was only one and will never be another from him.

abstractheory
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
What scares me about modern-day helmets is every part needed to make a helmet can be purchased on eBay. I am not big on LOA's but with the new stuff, a LOA would make a difference.

Just an opinion,

Jim

Very true, but there are subtleties that can be easily recognized if you know what you are looking for. Especially if you're a collector of a specific team for a long time. You can get close with ebay products, but, in the end, would be hard pressed to exactly replicate it totally. Subtle changes from year to year (at least with the Broncos) are easy give aways if you know what you are looking at. (e.g. warning decals from year to year)

However, I totally agree with you if you are a novice collector and don't know your team that well....Now that is an entirely different story. For instance, I wouldn't feel safe buying another teams' helmet, besides the Broncos, simply because I'm not familiar with them and could be easily fooled. Some of the helmets that get sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars make me cringe and sick to my stomach, but what can you do, besides your homework. That being said, I see a LOT of older helmets being replicated these days and sold for hundreds, if not thousands. Reproduction of old stuff is just as prevalent as far as I can tell.

This is just my opinion on the matter, as well.

abstractheory
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I understand it might not go for top dollar. I think with that photo and a coa on the signature it would be enough to prove it . I mean the battle scars alone on it i dont think you can replicate =). As far as selling it i might due to i picked up a few other items when i got the helmet. I got a John elway throwback mini helmet and two 8x10s from Ray and Steve Atwater. Like you said though its worth what someone is willing to pay but how do you put a price on a signed piece of history that there was only one and will never be another from him.

Well, like i said before, for what it's worth, I think it's totally legit. Unfortunately, the only way you're gonna know what it's really worth, is if you send it to auction and let the collectors decide. Like Jim said, though; without a LOA or solid paperwork, you are going to turn-off some potential buyers that want reassurance.

If you're not looking to sell it, then who cares what it's worth and just enjoy that sucka:D

abstractheory
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Here is the inside of my 97/98 Smith helmet. the # decal is the exact same one inside the shell and yours.

dougiedshow
03-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Personally I'd send it to Goldin Auctions. Ken has been frequenting the board quite a bit, as you see. He's only in his second auction, but seems to be making a splash in game used items. I sent some stuff to him for the current auction and my Miggy and Harper bats are already getting big bids. They put together great listings, they even added some photo matches to my Hamilton bat that I had not seen. Just email him or Chris and see what they think.

Clemson2004
03-07-2013, 04:50 AM
"Abstractheory" Do you live near the ocean? Just wondering as there is quite a bit of corrosion on those metal parts of that helmet.

abstractheory
03-07-2013, 08:47 AM
"Abstractheory" Do you live near the ocean? Just wondering as there is quite a bit of corrosion on those metal parts of that helmet.

Nope. I live here in the Denver area, but the helmet was in Dwayne Carswell's possession when I received it. He actually moved back to Orlando when he was done here in Denver, so that may very well be a contributing factor. I always just associated it with the salt in sweat, since Smith wore it for two full years. Plus, they made it to the Super Bowl both years, so it's actually two and a half years worth of games played in that darn thing. It is a good question, though.

trelude
03-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey guys thanks for the feedback I'm going to unfortunately have to end up selling it. let me know if you know anybody that's interested .

Clemson2004
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Interested depending on price.

trelude
03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Feel free to email me at civicbaby2323@yahoo.com and we can talk prices