PDA

View Full Version : Goldin auctions lot 566 carl eller vikings

mickeymbz
03-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Ken or other vikings/football collectors,
lot 566 in goldin auction ,,game used home vikings carl eller is an example with no stipes on sleeve. I cannot find any fotos on net from the listed era (73-74) that has stripe-less sleeves. 1971 is the earliest i could find pics of home vikes jerseys w/o stripes on sleeves. anybody have input? Was the era wrongly listed per letter of opinion?

KGoldin
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Ken or other vikings/football collectors,
lot 566 in goldin auction ,,game used home vikings carl eller is an example with no stipes on sleeve. I cannot find any fotos on net from the listed era (73-74) that has stripe-less sleeves. 1971 is the earliest i could find pics of home vikes jerseys w/o stripes on sleeves. anybody have input? Was the era wrongly listed per letter of opinion?

I am going to cut and paste this in an email to MEARS and make sure they got the year right on the LOA. When i get to office Monday I will look at the worksheet as well.

KGoldin
03-02-2013, 10:38 PM
I am going to cut and paste this in an email to MEARS and make sure they got the year right on the LOA. When i get to office Monday I will look at the worksheet as well.

THANKS
looks like a circa 1970-72 uniform
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1972+vikings+home+uniforms&FORM=HDRSC2#

Which if your research is right, it would need to be narrowed down to 70-71.
I will allow MEARS time to give me confirmation that they wrote down the wrong year, at which time I will change the description to circa 70-71 and have them issue a new letter.
I also think i found the exact same jersey sold in 2008, so while i am reasonably confident that it is 1970-71. i would like to give MEARS the courtesy to change the LOA before i change the title.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=88752

cohibasmoker
03-03-2013, 07:17 AM
I think the Sand-knit tags date the jersey to the early to mid 1970's. I've attached an image from 1969 as well as images from the early 1970's.

Jim

KGoldin
03-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I received the following from Troy
his photos are from wire photos dated 1973 and 1974
i hope this document and pictures post accurately here. I thank him for his assistance in backing up the MEARS LOA.
there are 2 photos that are not coming up when i paste this in, they will be up at goldinauctions.com shortly however.

"Style is a purple home jersey with straight tail, ¾ sleeves sans stripes. The shoulder, front and reverse numerals (81) are white applique.
Supplied by the Sand Knit company, the tag style dates to the 1972-75 style (MEARS database). Other examples of Vikings jersey supplied by Sand Knit during the era include:

1970s Chuck Foreman
1970s Dave Osborn
1974 Grady Alderman
1975 Paul Krause
1972-75 Alan Page
1973 Al Randolph
1973 Grady Alderman (Sand Knit) – Removed nameplate, no stripes

Therefore, Sand Knit was verified as being the correct supplier for Vikings jerseys during the era Style (1973-74): Comparison to available images document the style as being worn during the 1973—74 era. The main identifier is the lack of sleeve stripes on the mesh body shell. The font of the numerals are consistent with the available images. Jersey exhibits heavy game wear. The area of the shoulders show contact marks, tears, and abrasions. Contact marks appears on both the front and reverse numerals. The nameplate has been removed, but the outline of the missing plate is consistent in length to the name “ELLER”. Final Grade MEARS A8: Starting with 10 full points for proper manufacturer, style, sizing, and game wear. Minus 2 points were subtracted for missing nameplate on reverse.

Sincerely,
Troy R. Kinunen, MEARS"

G1X
03-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Not trying to change the topic or create controvesy, but Troy's response about the dating of the Sand Knit tagging on the Vikings Carl Eller jersey rolls right back to one of the several issues Carlos and I raised about the Paul Warfield jersey in Goldin's Auction that has since been removed thanks to Ken. (See GUU thread http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54184&page=3)

After researching the Eller tagging and noting the information in his data bank, I will now ask Troy if he still thinks that the Warfield jersey might possibly be team-issued. I am also curious why Troy thinks that it is not a replica when I and others who were collecting game-used jerseys in that era are attuned to the Sand Knit replicas being made at that time.

I am not trying to throw Troy under the bus. My intent is simply to provide educational information so that he and others can "connect the dots" and not make the same oversight next time around.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

G1X
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I want to make a clarification to my pervious post to avoid any possible misunderstanding about the jersey being questioned. I am not expressing an opinion on the Vikings Carl Eller jersey, nor am I questioning it in any manner.

My questioning is strictly in regards to the Paul Warfield jersey. The Eller tagging is referenced simply to point out the proper Sand Knit tagging for that era, especially since my posted photo of the proper tagging in the Warfield thread seemed to be overlooked.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

cohibasmoker
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Not trying to change the topic or create controvesy, but Troy's response about the dating of the Sand Knit tagging on the Vikings Carl Eller jersey rolls right back to one of the several issues Carlos and I raised about the Paul Warfield jersey in Goldin's Auction that has since been removed thanks to Ken. (See GUU thread http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54184&page=3)

After researching the Eller tagging and noting the information in his data bank, I will now ask Troy if he still thinks that the Warfield jersey might possibly be team-issued. I am also curious why Troy thinks that it is not a replica when I and others who were collecting game-used jerseys in that era are attuned to the Sand Knit replicas being made at that time.

I am not trying to throw Troy under the bus. My intent is simply to provide educational information so that he and others can "connect the dots" and not make the same oversight next time around.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

When the issue came up about the Warfield jersey, I started wondering, how much would it cost to have a jersey authenticated by MEARS? So I went to the MEARS website where I found their fee schedule.

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?page=evaluation-fees

Jim

mickeymbz
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I received the following from Troy
his photos are from wire photos dated 1973 and 1974
i hope this document and pictures post accurately here. I thank him for his assistance in backing up the MEARS LOA.
there are 2 photos that are not coming up when i paste this in, they will be up at goldinauctions.com shortly however.

"Style is a purple home jersey with straight tail, ¾ sleeves sans stripes. The shoulder, front and reverse numerals (81) are white applique.
Supplied by the Sand Knit company, the tag style dates to the 1972-75 style (MEARS database). Other examples of Vikings jersey supplied by Sand Knit during the era include:

1970s Chuck Foreman
1970s Dave Osborn
1974 Grady Alderman
1975 Paul Krause
1972-75 Alan Page
1973 Al Randolph
1973 Grady Alderman (Sand Knit) – Removed nameplate, no stripes

Therefore, Sand Knit was verified as being the correct supplier for Vikings jerseys during the era Style (1973-74): Comparison to available images document the style as being worn during the 1973—74 era. The main identifier is the lack of sleeve stripes on the mesh body shell. The font of the numerals are consistent with the available images. Jersey exhibits heavy game wear. The area of the shoulders show contact marks, tears, and abrasions. Contact marks appears on both the front and reverse numerals. The nameplate has been removed, but the outline of the missing plate is consistent in length to the name “ELLER”. Final Grade MEARS A8: Starting with 10 full points for proper manufacturer, style, sizing, and game wear. Minus 2 points were subtracted for missing nameplate on reverse.

Sincerely,
Troy R. Kinunen, MEARS"
where are the wire photos with year notation?

mickeymbz
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
I think the Sand-knit tags date the jersey to the early to mid 1970's. I've attached an image from 1969 as well as images from the early 1970's.

Jim
jim..the jersey in the auction states 73,,,these photos are from 1971 and before..correct?

cohibasmoker
03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
jim..the jersey in the auction states 73,,,these photos are from 1971 and before..correct?

All of the photos are from Getty Images. What I did was used the keywords "Vikings 1973"

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=vikings+1973&assetType=image&ep=2

mickeymbz
03-07-2013, 09:02 PM
All of the photos are from Getty Images. What I did was used the keywords "Vikings 1973"

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=vikings+1973&assetType=image&ep=2
thanks