PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Derek Jeter auto'd Game Issued Jersey on eBay (Source: Mike Matheny Foundation)

ISUbirdjersey
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I have this jersey for sale on eBay. I know Steiner charges $2000 for unsigned Jeter Game Issued Jerseys but I am not sure they have ever offered signed versions. I assume the jersey came from the Yankees, Jeter, or a Yankee player as a Randy Johnson auto'd game issued jersey was also auctioned that day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220046240493

kingjammy24
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
the thing with steiner game-ready jerseys is that they really are game ready/game-issued, in that they were prepared for actual game-use for that specific player and hung in the clubhouse. spec-wise, there's no difference between a steiner game-ready jersey and a steiner game-used jersey. the only difference is that the latter shows wear whereas the former does not.

this jersey you've got on ebay isn't a game-ready or game-issued jersey, regardless of what the mike matheny foundation says, it was never made for jeter to wear in a game. it's well known that yankee gamers/game-issued jerseys don't bear any manufacturer's logo on the sleeve. it's been that way for years. your jersey has a majestic logo on the sleeve.

if i had to guess what your jersey really was, i'd say it was ordered from majestic by a team official or player for the purpose of auctioning it off in a charity auction. knowing that it was never intended to be used in a game, majestic just took a regular "pro" jersey and added the flag tag. the majestic logo on the sleeve is a dead giveaway. it wasn't made to yankee spec and as such, was never made or intended as a jeter game jersey. hence it was never game-issued or game-ready.

here are some photos of jeter in 2005:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9964/jetergt8.jpg

rudy.

JimCaravello
11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Agree with Rudy - its just a nice signed Derek Jeter home pinstripe jersey.........I don't think your auction will get much action at that opening bid and buy it now price. The Majestic logo on the sleeve is a dead give away, as Rudy indicated............

ISUbirdjersey
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess that turns this into a different question. Should I contact the charity director and see if they can get me something that is actually game ready as was advertised? I spent $2000 on that jersey based on the description. I didn't plan on making a profit but I planned on having something liquid that was worth about what I was paying for it. I realize the auction was a charity auction but at the same time, shouldn't they do something for me based on the mistakingly false item description? What would you two guys do?

sanook123
11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
sorry, i'm new to this and all the terms but does the flag tag means the majestic logo on the sleeves or patch on the bottom of the jersey?
if majestic did add the tag on the bottom then why would they have to add the wash tag with the 0062 or do all pro jersey come with this type of wash tag? Is the pro jersey the same as retail jersey?

Maybe, when the jersey was ordered Majestic realized that it was going to be for a charity they decided to grab one of the game issued / ready and then just added the majestic logo on the sleeve to seperate it from the actual gamer.

kingjammy24
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
"flag tag" refers to the "2005" tag sewn to the manufacturer's tag. such a flag tag would not be found on a retail jersey.

all majestic jerseys (pro and retail) come with wash tags. some believe the wash code (0062 vs 6200) separates retail from gamer. personally, i don't put a lot of stock in the wash code. i just purchased 3 early 90s, majestic bp tops directly from a player and all 3 had "retail codes". rob steinmetz has documented "0062" jerseys found in retail stores and "6200" jerseys being widely used by some teams.

re: the question of whether pro jerseys are the same as retail jerseys.
it depends on the manufacturer. the only differences i know of between current majestic gamers and majestic "authentic" retail jerseys are that some sizes are only available as "pro" jerseys. (i don't believe 46 and 50 are available as retail jerseys. 48 and 52 are available as retail jerseys).
some teams use flag tags and/or strip tags. retail jerseys would be void of these. however, if you're buying a "gamer" of a player who wears a 48 or 52 from a team that does not use strip or flag tags, then it seems there's nothing to differentiate between retail and gamer. as previously discussed, the wash code is hardly a guarantee.

rudy.

sanook123
11-07-2006, 11:51 PM
thanks Rudy for the clarification. its nice to see some people sharing their view / expertise, taking the time and effort to help out. Some member might already know it all but that doesn't mean that nobody can't learn from it. This is how you grow a community. Thanks again

sportscentury
11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
thanks Rudy for the clarification. its nice to see some people sharing their view / expertise, taking the time and effort to help out. Some member might already know it all but that doesn't mean that nobody can't learn from it. This is how you grow a community. Thanks again

Sanook,

If this comment of yours was made in response to my earlier post in this thread, please know that I was not referring to you (or your questions) in my original post. I think it's great that guys like Rudy and Jim offered their thoughts and advice. I see that you are new to GUU, but if you do a search, you'll see that I've dedicated a considerable amount of time to helping other forum members in the same manner. You are right - this is how a community is built, and I'm all for it.

If your comment was not made in response to my first post, then please disregard this note - either way, I'm glad you got the information you were looking for and I wish you good luck with your collecting.

Reid

ISUbirdjersey
11-13-2006, 08:12 PM
The jersey came directly from the New York Yankees. The charity director has been informed of this thread and he assured me that Mike Matheny told him that the situation will be taken care of. [content removed]?

ChrisCavalier
11-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Hello Everyone,

I deleted a few posts on this thread because they were in violation of the forum rules.

Please remember that in order to participate in the forum you are agreeing to follow the forum rules. Please make sure you are familiar with ALL the rules. Notably, in this case, I would like to remind the posters of the following rules which are particularly relevant to the deleted posts:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

It is expected that all posts are to be created with a sincere attempt to benefit the hobby. Any posts which the Administrator deems as a personal attack or an attempt to unnecessarily discredit others will be subject to the administrative rules of the forum.

Please pay particular attention to the fact that "This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal." Thank you in advance for your cooperation and please feel free to email me with any questions.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier
chris_cavalier@gameuseduniverse.com

sportscentury
11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Chris,

As always, thank you for your diligence and professionalism.

Reid