PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Falcons Super Bowl jersey

boxman
02-26-2013, 12:47 AM
I picked this 1998 Atlanta Falcons Travis Hall Super Bowl 33 jersey up the other day but when I got it there is something strange about the jersey. The shirt has several horizontal thread lines on the shoulders and a thread pattern through the tag in the collar. The jersey shows good use but it looks like a this jersey might have been a defect. A took a couple of pictures to show this. Also was wondering if they sew on the Supper Bowl patch or is it ironed on. It looks like this one is starting to peel off. I hope this is a good jersey but thought I would see what info I could find on this board. Any information would be helpful.

boxman
02-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Here are some photos

boxman
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Another photo

boxman
02-26-2013, 12:57 AM
One more photo

cohibasmoker
02-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I picked this 1998 Atlanta Falcons Travis Hall Super Bowl 33 jersey up the other day but when I got it there is something strange about the jersey. The shirt has several horizontal thread lines on the shoulders and a thread pattern through the tag in the collar. The jersey shows good use but it looks like a this jersey might have been a defect. A took a couple of pictures to show this. Also was wondering if they sew on the Supper Bowl patch or is it ironed on. It looks like this one is starting to peel off. I hope this is a good jersey but thought I would see what info I could find on this board. Any information would be helpful.

I think the thread lines are OK - they are there to reinforce the shoulder from ripping and tearing. I had a Falcons jersey worn in the same Super Bowl. I no longer have it but my patch was sewn on and I had a team LOA with it.

Hope this helps.

genius
02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
I think the jersey looks good and it was a great price if so. Only thing is the patch, that was just the second year for the Super Bowl patches and they were really small compared to today's (actually this year though they may have started just sticking them on again). I would think that the patch should be sewn on but regardless the sizing seems proper and it's conceivable that maybe some were sewn and some were ironed. G1X would know for sure!!!

G1X
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Nice acquisition! The jersey looks fine based on the photos provided. The patches were not very large. It should be about the same width of the shoulder numbers.

As Jim pointed out, the thread inserts on the shoulders can be found on linemen jerseys from that era. I have a white 1998 Falcons jersey with the same shoulder configuration. The Cowboys seemed to be a team that employed this style more than most other teams.

I will take some photos of the two Falcons Super Bowl jerseys in my collection along with the white Falcons jersey with the shoulder inserts and post this evening.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

boxman
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information. The jersey has a lot of use on it and was not sure if the players got a new uniform for the Super Bowl or just add a patch to a shirt used during the season. The patch is the only thing I have a concern about.

G1X
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I had over a dozen of the Falcons Super Bowl jerseys at one point that I obtained directly from the team. Some showed nice game use (multiple game use), some showed little or no use. Unfortuantely, I do not know if a new set of jerseys was worn for the game by all of the players - or by at least some of the players - or by none of the players.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

boxman
02-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the helpful information. The patch is the only issue I have. Looks like it was ironed on and is starting to peel off. My only fear is that someone could take a used jersey from that year and attach a Super Bowl patch to it and say it was used in that game and ask for a premium price. Will continue to read these boards and become more educated.

G1X
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
The patches were sewn-on to all of the Falcons Super Bowl jerseys I had. Black thread was used and can be seen if you turn the jersey inside-out. Below are photos of the patches on two of my jerseys and a full view of one of the jerseys to get a better idea of the size of the patch in proportion to the entire jersey.

I also attached a photo of a Falcons jersey from 1998 showing the thread inserts on the shoulders. It is kind of difficult to see in the photo as my flash was too bright.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net