PDA

View Full Version : If and how to best remove this?

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2013, 12:57 AM
I am debating over picking up a jersey currently on eBay. Now the jersey looks 100% legit but my concern is the "staining" it has on it. The seller acknowledges the stains in the listing so my question is if I were to acquire this jersey should I remove them (the only reason being that the stains may have not come from actual game use) and if so how is the best way to do it safely?

Here are a few pics showing the stains:

So if you were to acquire this jersey would you remove these stains and if so how would you go about it?
Really need your help on this one guys as I have never washed any of my jerseys (because none of them have seem to warrant a washing or two).

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Also does any have an idea of where these type of yellow stains could have originated from?

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Here is one more pic on the tag of the jersey showing similar staining. Not sure if that makes a stronger case that the stains on it may have originated from actual game use. Let me know what you guys think, any insight will be extremely appreciated!!!

Jayworld
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I would try Dreft. I have used it in the past on a couple of jerseys to great success. It is gentle enough for most all fabrics yet gets out tough stains. We used to use it for incredibly stained baby clothes, just FYI.

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I would try Dreft. I have used it in the past on a couple of jerseys to great success. It is gentle enough for most all fabrics yet gets out tough stains. We used to use it for incredibly stained baby clothes, just FYI.

Jay, thanks for the insight. Where can I purchase Dreft and also is that something I pre-treat the jersey with (like spot cleaning) or is it something I throw in the tray and simply wash like normal?

Samets
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Dreft is sold at most baby stores like Babies R' Us

You can start with the pen ($3.99) to pre-treat:
http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-8511060reg.jpg

Then use the actual laundry detergent($12.99):

http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-6082265reg.jpg

We used it with our son as well... ;)

akrover
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Dreft is a available pretty much anywhere that sells detergents. Target, wal-mart, etc. looks like any other detergent btl but is white & has a pink top. As mentioned it is formulated for baby clothes & has no additives/scents as not to upset a babies delicate skin. For that reason it would be good for jerseys.

frikativ54
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Why remove it, if it was stained through actual game use?

nevrdiez34
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Why remove it, if it was stained through actual game use?

+1, I couldn't agree more, if there is even a chance the jersey was stained from game play I would not wash it. If it was stained by a previous owner I probably would wash it, but I'd have to know definitively.

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Guys thanks so much for all the info! You guys are the best! As far as removing the stains and the possibility that they may have indeed originated from game use, that was part of my initial question. The seller has yet to confirm whether these stains came from game use or from after the fact due to poor preservation. Do these stains appear to be from game use in your guys opinion? If I could conclusively determine that they were from game use I would definitely not wash them off that's for sure.

Samets
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
I would say that these are not game used stains...

UTeric3232
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
looks like rat piss...

I had a box of jerseys in a storage for a bit and two of them got stained the same way from those bastards. Took them out that same day.

MarlinsFan1993
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
looks like rat piss...

I had a box of jerseys in a storage for a bit and two of them got stained the same way from those bastards. Took them out that same day.

LOL!!! Yea so I'm thinking I will definitely be washing the jersey if I do get. Although just considering the rat piss scenario makes me pause about getting it at all. :(

Samets
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
If the price is right, I would still go for it...

MarlinsFan1993
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Got an update from the seller, he said that he bought it direct from the team and that the stains were already present at the time of purchase. I think I'm gonna go for it and inspect the stains and decide what to do about washing it or not at that point.

Roady
02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Stains make me think the jersey was more probable to be game used than a clean jersey.