PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Auctions - Red Sox Jerseys

cohibasmoker
02-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey, did you guys see the offering of Red Sox jerseys at Legendary Auctions? I tried reading the Section that Lon Lewis authored and to me, it reads like stereo instructions.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=153879&searchby=1&searchvalue=red%20sox&page=0&sortby=7&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=Tommy-Harper-1972-Boston-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Home-Jersey

Jim

lon lewis
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Jim, sorrry you find the post regarding the McAuliffe/Stall &Dean jerseys confusing. It was meant to educate someone on the availability to buy jerseys directly from Stall & Dean (or McAuliffe prior to 1969) and have the same tagging as the major league counterparts. In the case of the Harper jersey, the order for both the flannel ( 2/27/72) and the knit jerseys ( 6/20/72) from '72 indicate a size 38. If you have any questions about the McAuliffe section you could always email me. shadowsdad@att.net

cohibasmoker
02-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Jim, sorrry you find the post regarding the McAuliffe/Stall &Dean jerseys confusing. It was meant to educate someone on the availability to buy jerseys directly from Stall & Dean (or McAuliffe prior to 1969) and have the same tagging as the major league counterparts. In the case of the Harper jersey, the order for both the flannel ( 2/27/72) and the knit jerseys ( 6/20/72) from '72 indicate a size 38. If you have any questions about the McAuliffe section you could always email me. shadowsdad@att.net

It's a terrific piece - full of informative information and like stereo instructions, because it contains so much information, its a tad difficult to understand - I'll send you a email. Take care,

Jim

karamaxjoe
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Lon

I'll never forget that extremely long and volatile thread about McAuliffe Red Sox jerseys. That was some crazy shit!

lon lewis
02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Mike, If you thought that was "some crazy shit" imagine it from my side. If I remember correctly, the thread went on for weeks from early March to late March ( I dropped out for 11 days) and I don't know how many pages that wound up just going around and around. The fun part was being able to demonstrate through photos what I was talking about. The not so fun part was having to put up with the lies and BS from my principle antagonist. But in the end it was satisfying to be able to "stick it" to that individual. If anyone's reading about this for the first time and wants to read what we're discussing, I'd suggest you allow for a long read ( pack a lunch)

karamaxjoe
02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Any newbs that collect 70s McCauliffe Red Sox or A's jerseys should pop open a few cold ones, sit back and read this thread. You actually might learn something about your collection and how it was possible to get these jerseys.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23738

yanks12025
02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Still confuses me. So pretty much if you're buying a Red Sox jersey from that period, it is better to buy one with both tags having a blue border?? Is that correct?

cohibasmoker
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Still confuses me. So pretty much if you're buying a Red Sox jersey from that period, it is better to buy one with both tags having a blue border?? Is that correct?

That's for the back-up guys - I thought it was just me. It was probably a monumental task and Lon did one hell of a job. Unfortunately, I may have to agree with a Yankees fan (yuk) - it may be best to buy a Red Sox jersey with both tags having a blue border.

Jim

karamaxjoe
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
That's for the back-up guys - I thought it was just me. It was probably a monumental task and Lon did one hell of a job. Unfortunately, I may have to agree with a Yankees fan (yuk) - it may be best to buy a Red Sox jersey with both tags having a blue border.

Jim

Back in the day a regular person could purchase jerseys directly from McCauliffe and they would receive fully tagged jerseys. Whether you got a blue border tagged jersey or non blue bordered tagged jersey really wasn't that important since so few people collected this stuff. Both types of tags were sold to consumers.

Lon can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember from the thread.

If you had a crystal ball and you were planning on committing fraud in the future, you could order up some Fisk, Yaz, Jackson and Catfish jerseys in the correct size and make a bundle of cash. I'm sure many people have these jerseys in their collection and have no clue. I believe the only way to tell the difference between actual game used jerseys and the ones purchased directly through McCauliffe is by recognizing the actual game used characteristics on the jersey.

lon lewis
02-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Mike, You are essentially correct in what you garnered from the McAuliffe section. The main message is that in the knit era, anyone could have purchased the same jersey from Stall & Dean that the players wore. My take on the whole situation is one of caution because unless you're an expert in the jersey construction, lettering/numbering material, and neck/sleeve trim material areas of the McAuliffe jerseys, you're in trouble. For some unfortunate people, that means at some point you're going to find out that your prized jersey(s) is not what it seems. While there are a lot of legitimate Red Sox and A's jerseys out there, there's also a lot more of the "aftermarket " variety. It appears to me that at least one if not several individuals "looked into the crystal ball" many years ago.

craigster
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I read Mr. Lewis' section and found it extremely informative, but getting back to the Red Sox jerseys in the current Legendary Auction, what is the consensus? Thumbs up or down?

cohibasmoker
02-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Mike, You are essentially correct in what you garnered from the McAuliffe section. The main message is that in the knit era, anyone could have purchased the same jersey from Stall & Dean that the players wore. My take on the whole situation is one of caution because unless you're an expert in the jersey construction, lettering/numbering material, and neck/sleeve trim material areas of the McAuliffe jerseys, you're in trouble. For some unfortunate people, that means at some point you're going to find out that your prized jersey(s) is not what it seems. While there are a lot of legitimate Red Sox and A's jerseys out there, there's also a lot more of the "aftermarket " variety. It appears to me that at least one if not several individuals "looked into the crystal ball" many years ago.

Lon - I think I am going to proceed with "caution" - Many thanks