PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Gamers missing wash tag

MarlinsFan1993
02-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Has anyone ever seen or heard of legit game used/issued Majestic jerseys without the inside wash tag? From what I have heard it's not that they have been cut off, they are simply just not there. I had seen 2 prior examples of these jerseys both from 2005 (the first year Majestic took over jerseys for MLB teams) and I stayed away from them both even though everything else looked legit. I recently picked up (will post pictures when it gets here later this week) a game used Josh Johnson 2008 Marlins Road jersey with MLB authentication which denotes it is game used but it does not have the wash tag, instead it has the jersey size (54 on a small "tag") on the inside. The jersey is also missing the usual team strip tag that the Marlins have employed since 2005. The other 2 jerseys that I passed up on in the past were also missing the strip tag.

Since this 2008 JJ jersey has the MLB authentication my mind is at ease but I just wanted to find out from you guys if you have ever come across similar examples where these Majestic jerseys are missing the inside wash tag?

MarlinsFan1993
02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Ok so I got the jersey in today and while it is missing the team strip tag it does indeed have the wash tag (Not sure how the seller couldn't find it). The interesting thing about the wash tag is the fact that it is missing a line of numbers usually found under the "0063" designation. The jersey is MLB authenticated so I have no doubts about it being game used, but the wash tag discrepancy is interesting.

Here are pics of the jersey plus a pic of the wash tag on my 2009 Dan Uggla GU Road jersey for comparison (both are Cool Base).

The 2008 jersey is missing the "0304" numeration found on the 2009 jersey. Thoughts?

mook03005
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Esteban

On the Josh Johnson is there noticeable evidence of a tag once being there? I have seen cool bases (home not road) from 2011 that had the hologram affixed but no strip tagging like you mentioned, if that helps

MarlinsFan1993
02-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Esteban

On the Josh Johnson is there noticeable evidence of a tag once being there? I have seen cool bases (home not road) from 2011 that had the hologram affixed but no strip tagging like you mentioned, if that helps

Mark,

The jersey does not appear to show evidence of a strip tag ever being there. The only outline it kinda shows is from when the jock tag was pressed on (I think). I think this is a jersey that was issued to JJ at season's end as it does not show much washing use, and he used it during his final start in 2008. I'm just glad it has the MLB authentication verifying that indeed it was GU, if not I probably would have stayed away from it based on the lack of a team strip tag.

nevrdiez34
02-23-2013, 01:31 AM
I collect Chicago Cubs game used items and I have seen jerseys without strip tags that were game worn and sold directly from the the team, but those were rookies and most if not all were in September call-up situations.

emann
02-23-2013, 02:26 AM
I've got a number of Red Sox gamers, straight from the team. Some are missing strip tags, photomatched and/or holo'd.

These are not mid-season call-ups either, I've seen examples from a number of stars... I've got examples going back to mid-2000's.

I think it depends on a number of factors, most likely an oversight.