PDA

View Full Version : eBay - Veteran vs. Mom & Pop Sellers

cohibasmoker
02-10-2013, 08:00 AM
So, I’d like to hear some comments about eBay sellers – veterans vs. Mom and Pop sellers. I’ll start off with my comments;

VETERANS - About a year or so ago, I bought a Rams helmet off of a veteran eBay seller. The helmet was advertised as “game worn”. A few Months after the purchase, I was advised by a well-versed collector (he hates being called an expert) who told me the helmet was not ever “game worn”. He had a team source and that source gave him the information. It was suggested that I contact the Seller - “he’s a good guy" and "not to worry”. So, I did contact the Seller and the “good guy” wasn't so good. I did get a portion of my money back but under duress – so much for Mr. Good-Guy.

Now, let’s fast forward to today. The same Seller listed a helmet on eBay. In the listing, he had a Buy It Now format and he was accepting offers. So, I attempted to submit an offer only to find that the Seller is “NOT ACCEPTING MY OFFERS”. Well now, isn't that interesting - He sells a bogus helmet and it’s my fault?

Perhaps it’s just me? I’m an old school guy and I believe that - when I sell an item, I guarantee it not for a day, not for a week, not for a Month – I guarantee my items for LIFE. I also believe that no-one is perfect and we all make mistakes. When mistakes are made, it’s important to make it right. But hey, that's me.

MOM and POP – I have gotten some terrific items and not so terrific items from Mom and Pop sellers on eBay. With few exceptions, I have been able to send the item back and get an apology and a full refund. I have never heard , "You should have done your homework before you bought the item". In the few instances when I have to file a claim to get my money back, eBay had my back and I got my refund.

In closing, I find it interesting that I have had more trouble with Veteran Sellers as opposed to Mom and Pop sellers.

Just some thoughts,

Jim

ironmanfan
02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Jim:

I just think there are some veteran dealers out there that consider themselves "beyond reproach" and how dare anyone question the authenticity of their items.

Going back to the late 1980's (pre-internet days), I bought was supposed to be a game used batting helmet of Cal Ripken Jr. (this seller used to run full page ads in the SCD and occasionally posts n this forum ironically). When the helmet arrived, it was a double ear flap version with the most horrendous autograph forgery on the bill. When I contacted the seller within 10 minutes of receiving the package, I was told told that it was a Spring Training helmet (which is the answer for any item that suspends belief) and while he did eventually refund my money, he did portray the attitude of how could I question any of his items...

Needless to say, the helmet was back in his full page SCD ad a couple weeks later and I'm sure there is some collector somewhere out there that thinks they have an authentic Ripken batting helmet...

I took a picture of the helmet and if I can locate it, I'll throw it on the forum...(if anyone is interested in a good laugh).

godwulf
02-10-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm sure good and bad Sellers are to be found among people of all descriptions - casual sellers, professional sellers, you name it. I've gotten great and lousy service from all types. "Veterans" may be more concerned about good service because their reputation affects an important source of income for them - or they may be less concerned because their volume of business and built-up positive feedback give them a sense of invulnerabilty. It's the luck of the draw.

I once had a guy not only block me from bidding on one of his items but insult me by email because I had the temerity to ask him where in the country or world he was shipping from. He had one of those annoying "GREATBARGAINS USA!" or something under Item Location. If you're such a secret squirrel that you can't even let people know where you're posting from, how am I supposed to trust you with my money?

trsent
02-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I once had a guy not only block me from bidding on one of his items but insult me by email because I had the temerity to ask him where in the country or world he was shipping from. He had one of those annoying "GREATBARGAINS USA!" or something under Item Location. If you're such a secret squirrel that you can't even let people know where you're posting from, how am I supposed to trust you with my money?

One of my pet peeves also - No excuse a seller hides their location and eBay is not supposed to allow this, but they don't do anything about it. You can report an item as "Item Location Misrepresentation" but they don't follow up on those reports, I'm pretty sure.

Samets
02-11-2013, 07:17 AM
I agree. It's a crap shoot.

tella27
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I've been buying and selling on eBay for almost 10 years now but its more buying than selling. I agree that its a crap shoot for the most part but at the same time I've found some great deals too.
I know everyone looks as feedback and the score but I've found over the last couple of years that some sellers hide behind their feedback knowing that even if you leave negative they sell so much it won't bring them under 99%. I have really started looking into past feedback (feedback scores shouldn't replace checking into the item and if you're unsure about something ask for more info and pics). If you're still unsure then I'd pass.

I would consider my self as a veteran mom and pop seller. No matter if I sell or trade on here or sell on eBay I stand by my items for life. I read the sellers feedback and return policy prior to buying. If its a signed item or something I'm interested in and its not authenticated I reach out to them and ask if they offer a refund policy if it comes back anything but genuine. Paypal will protect to for 45 days on a purchase and that starts the day it's delivered.

With all that being said I've seen eBay turn into a place where people are just looking for a 30 day interest free loan. These are the people that list something and don't ship - then give a bogus tracking number and with that Paypal says wait 7 days to file a claim, 3 days for a response and then 10 days for a tracking number. After that its 10 days for the tracking number to show something so it ends up being 30 days and you get your money back.
The economy has brought good deals and also people just looking for money.

Samets
02-11-2013, 03:19 PM
...With all that being said I've seen eBay turn into a place where people are just looking for a 30 day interest free loan. These are the people that list something and don't ship - then give a bogus tracking number and with that Paypal says wait 7 days to file a claim, 3 days for a response and then 10 days for a tracking number. After that its 10 days for the tracking number to show something so it ends up being 30 days and you get your money back.
The economy has brought good deals and also people just looking for money.

That's quiet a scam! harmless but a scam...