PDA

View Full Version : Repaired Bats

flaco1801
11-04-2006, 11:28 AM
good morning. i dont collect game used bats. i was wondering why would people restore a cracked bat only to have it hang in a plexiglas enclosure. the bat will never be used so why repair a slight crack? doesnt the crack enhance its game used flavor? i would think repairing a cracked bat is somewhat like restoring numbers or lettering on a game used jersey. sincerely, jeff

staindsox
11-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree with you. I collect gamers and I would only repair a bat if it were split in two or if it were only hanging together by a thread...the bat is basically in rough shape. A cracked bat is actually good provenance and is part of the item. Altering it is destroying it.

33bird
11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I disagree somewhat. If the crack is bad enough that it is an eye sore, get it repaired. Fred Lowman has repaired two for me and they look the same except no big eye sore crack anymore. He also will state in his receipt what he repaired, so you still have the proof that is was cracked at one time. I wouldn't compare it to restoring numbers or names on jerseys. Not even close. It's a little glue and repair on just the crack. Each collector is different. Some prefer it-some don't. Some like their gamer stuff autographed and some don't. AGAIN-I'm just talking about eye sore cracks. I had a Bench bat with a hugh cracked upper handle. I couldn't even swing it without being afraid it would eventually come apart. No anymore and I love that bat now. Just my 2cents.
GW