PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Photomatch Opinions

esigs
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and GU collecting. I've been reading & learning here since last Summer, and interacted with a few members via email who were very generous in sharing their knowledge - Mark (Klattsy), Mike (Mspecht) & Kyle (kylehess10) were particularly helpful with my questions.

Now that I can post here, I'm looking for everyone's help with my first attempt to photomatch a game used jersey. It is a 2012 Road Alternate Blue Atlanta Jersey from David Ross, their former backup catcher. I got the jersey directly from the Braves through Lisa, and the jersey is MLB Authenticated as being worn on 9/7/12, tagged with 50 '12 S1, and it was the only road alternate blue jersey from Ross listed for sale.

From what I could find out, this jersey style was primarily worn on weekend road series (Friday, Saturday or Sunday). I reviewed the road weekend series to find out which series David Ross had played AND they had worn this jersey style, and found 9 games where the Braves wore this style AND Ross had an appearance. The 9/7/12 game at the Mets was the Braves' next to last road series, and Ross played on the first game of that series on 9/7/12 wearing this jersey style.

The dark color and the lack of any piping makes photomatching this jersey challenging. With Kyle's help, I was able to identify 3 potential letters where there might be differences in this jersey style. He pointed out the inner distance on the letter "N", while I noticed a potential difference in the distance between the first "T" and "L", and maybe a different angle of finish on the top on the second "T". And when trying to detect small differences on the letters, the angle of the image, along with how the jersey fits the player with various creases and the like, I found it to be really hard to compare with a jersey laying flat on a table, so I had to put a pillow inside the jersey to take away the flatness, but it is still not the same as a person wearing it.

The photo below shows screenshots from MLB.TV from 3 games: 1 from 6/2/12, 2 from 6/3/12 and 1 from 9/7/12, along with an undated picture of the jersey I got taken at home. It seems to me that the screenshot #3 from 9/7/12 matches favorably to the undated picture, which would be consistent with the MLB Authentication database. Screenshot #1 from 6/2/12 also looks very similar to the undated picture (sorry for the bad quality; because he had only one at bat, I couldn't find a closeup of his uniform), while screenshot #2A not so much, although screenshot #2B leaves me scratching my head because it appears to show similarities with the undated picture even though it's the same game as screenshot #2A.

My main question is: how likely is it that the jersey from 6/3/12 is the same as the jersey from 6/2/12 and 9/7/12?

I'm also interested in finding out how many road alternate blue jerseys a backup catcher is issued in a season. Does every player get at least 2 sets of uniforms of each style? If not, do teams wash jerseys between games while on the road? Ross was not scheduled to play on 6/2/12, and he only got in the game on the bottom of the 7th because Brian McCann was beamed on the knee cap and couldn't finish.

Or does anyone here have another road alternate blue Ross jersey worn in 2012? Thanks everyone for your input!

James

esigs
02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I went back and looked at all 9 games David Ross had worn this style in 2012. Below are the screenshots from those 9 games. It looks to me that he wore the same jersey, but I'm interested in your opinions. Thanks.