PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auction - 1994 1995 Barry Sanders game used jersey Reebok jersey with old apex tagging

mdallen22
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Hello Forum,

I am new to the forum as of five minutes ago and first I'd like to say hello to the community!

Hunt Auction is currently auctioning a 1995 Barry Sanders game model jersey (Lot 991). This was an older 1994 Apex jersey re-tagged as a Reebok jersey for the 1995 season. I understand the changes from Wilson to Apex to Reebok that happened with the Lions jerseys throughout the 90's, and as far as i can tell this jersey meets every requirement to be a 1995 jersey!

My concerns are about the "creative" language within the description of this lot. As I've read many times, the term "pro model jersey" does not mean game used. However the description reads "NFL 75th Anniv. patch removed from shoulder but stitching outline remains giving it probable use in 1995 as well" and "Jersey shows some light usage/perspiration wear and exhibits nice wash wear." One could argue these two quotes imply the jersey was game used. You would think if that were the case, then they would be more direct in the description and it would read "This jersey is game used" as was the case for other jerseys they've auctioned off over the weekend. They seem to use the term "pro model" loosely. Sometimes its a game used jersey and sometimes its not.

I reach out to the experts of this forum to give insight and opinions on the validity of this jersey being game used by Barry Sanders. I've asked Hunt for a copy of the LOA from SCD so I may read it and they have responded that they will scan it to me via email (still waiting). Hunt confirms there is no paperwork from the Lions organization nor did the consignor have any additional paperwork. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Hunt Auction Jerseys and is SCD reputable when it comes to game used memorabilia? I'm hoping the LOA will be more direct and descriptive. The link to the auction is below.

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=40&lot_num=991&lot_qual=

Thank you for your time in advance,

Mike

onlyalbert
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I've bought many things from Hunt in the past and have had good experiences. It seems that auction houses and MLB teams are leaning to using the term "team issued" a lot recently. This allows them not to be stuck proving "game use". A lot of the time a "team issued" jersey is also game used when the use is evident but without a photomatch on a bat for example you can't prove the use. It is a way to "CYA" for them......cover your a$$. I would not have a problem with it.

swainer
02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
I saw this auction too and had the same questions. I just found this auction of a 95 jersey but haven't compared the two. I think one difference is the open neck.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=41046

Peace,

John

mdallen22
02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Hunt Auctions responded to me and they did supply me with the LOA from SCD. Oddly enough, the LOA was issued back in August of 2004 for Hunt Auction lot 174. Lot 174 was the exact same jersey we see for auction today. I'm always skeptical when you see the same items in circulation with a particular auction house. I had Heritage remove a Barry Sanders jersey about a month or two ago because it was not real and they had sold it three times within a couple of years. I can only hope to talk to someone shortly and see what more information they can give me before this ends tonight.

I'll keep you all posted.

hockeytigers
02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I am guessing that a legit Barry Sanders jersey would fall somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000. The fact that it is in the $1,200 range should tell you something...

mdallen22
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I am guessing that a legit Barry Sanders jersey would fall somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000. The fact that it is in the $1,200 range should tell you something...

I agree. The game used jersey mentioned below went for over $11k. The lot description is what the LOA reads verbatim so the LOA was of zero help. Definitely misleading when it says probable use in 1995. If this is nothing more than a "professional model" "game issued" "pro cut" (call it what you want) does that justify a $1,200 price tag? Are game issued jerseys from this era close to impossible to find? They would have to be to justify a $1,200 price on something the player potentially never touched.

mdallen22
02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Here is the response from Hunt; as I assume it would be. See the first sentence - I thought someone told me there was an Anthony who was involved in the consignment but I must of misheard. Anyway...

"Hello again Mike,

Unfortunately, we do not have an Anthony who works here and Dave is on a flight back from New Orleans.

However, I did speak to one of our cataloguers and basically, there is no way we can definitively determine that it is a game-used jersey. There are a lot of companies who toss around the term “game-used” without any solid evidence of such. Our company wants to represent our material as accurately as possible and, as such, we only state something is game-used if we have specific, tangible and/or documented evidence that it was worn in a game. If we do not have that information, we will not state that it is a game used piece. The jersey was definitely a team model that was issued to that specific player and it shows evidence of having been worn in some capacity. However, we do not know whether or not it was used in a game. It could have been, it also could have not been.

So, if you only want to buy this jersey because it was game-used, then I would not recommend bidding on it as we do not have direct evidence of such use.

Hope that helps to clarify!"

I can accept this as the answer. It's notable of them to realize they do not know if it was game used or not.

Thanks all!!

frikativ54
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
we do not have that information, we will not state that it is a game used piece. The jersey was definitely a team model that was issued to that specific player and it shows evidence of having been worn in some capacity. However, we do not know whether or not it was used in a game. It could have been, it also could have not been.

So, if you only want to buy this jersey because it was game-used, then I would not recommend bidding on it as we do not have direct evidence of such use.

Sounds like they are taking the high road, an honorable thing to do.

solarlottry
02-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Hunt also was auctioning a Steve Young early-mid 90s home game jersey in their "late additions" sections, which was where the Sanders was located. I called them to ask for additional images and for a better description of the shirt.

After a somewhat convoluted conversation the HUNT representative finally came out and told me that she had no idea if the shirt was game worn or not. It was not easy to elicit that specific response though.

With Wilson NFL jerseys from 1990-1995 my theory is that if the date code is on the same flag tag as the size, as was the case with the Steve Young shirt, it is a retail shirt. I have examined hundreds of jerseys and every single one that had the two letter date code on the size tag was a retail shirt.

Other collectors may have a different opinion about my size and date code flag date theory and I am extremely interested in everyones opinion. If anyone has any jerseys that they believe are gamer worn and have the date code and size on the same flag tag, please post them and the reasons why you consider the shirt game worn. I have attached a number of images showing the difference.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 1994 49er game worn jerseys. Paying a finders fee so please someone make a referral so they can get the finders fee already!!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

solarlottry
02-05-2013, 04:42 AM
For some reason a few images did not post so here they are....

The Steve Young pictured was sold as a game worn playoff shirt from the 1993 season. The 49ers played the divisional round vs the NYG and then the NFC Championship vs Dallas.

I have Young's playoff shirt with team letter vs the NYG so this jersey would have to have been worn vs Dallas. The problem with this jersey is that in the Dallas game the jersey Young wore had a Wilson W on both shoulders whereas this shirt has one only on the left. When this shirt was sold the original listing stated it had a LOA signed by Young on 49er letterhead. Almost ironclad provenance but not really as photographic evidence says otherwise.

Additionally Young, to the best of my knowledge, wore a size 44 Wilson not a 46. The pictured jersey is a 46 with the date code ES (1992) on the same flag as the size. Young may have mixed up his dates and signed an LOA stating this was a 1993 season playoff shirt when in fact it was from the 1992 season playoffs (vs. Washington or Dallas). In both those games he wore a jersey with only a single Wilson W so it is possible that the offered jersey was worn in either of those 2 games.

The problem is that the LOA states otherwise plus the font for the NFC Championship game jersey Young wore and the one for sale are different. That leaves one possibility-the Divisional Round vs. the Redskins. In that game the Wilson W on Young's left sleeve is sewn right above the third white stripe with little red jersey between the two. In the offered jersey the W placement is much higher and with much more red between the two.

These photographic facts rule out that the offered Steve Young jersey with the date code and the size on the same tag was worn during the playoffs in 1993 or 1992!!!

If anyone wants to see the Young auction listing it is listed in the "June 2009" Lelands auction catalog. Any and all feedback is welcomed as it is educational for every collector to use whatever tools available in order to spend their money wisely!!!

I will attach images of my 1993 Young playoff shirt, complete with "Bronco tape" on the nameplate and team letter with my next post. Hopefully other collectors will chime in on this important topic.

Always buying 49er game worn items, ALL 1994 49er gamers and ALL Steve Young game worn jerseys (USFL especially). Actively looking for a numer of vintage 49er gamers including Clark, Solomon and Fred Dean.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Samets
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Paul,

I'm always curious about the Wilson shirts since I want to get some but it's so hard to figure out from pictures if it's a really good retail jersey or a gamer and most appear to be retail shirts.... So far I have a total of zero!

Is the date code on a separate tag the default for all teams? I only collect Chicago Bears and have yet to see even a confirmed gamer to have the other flag tags... Was this practice of separate tags only done in the early 90's?

Any additional info would be very much appreciated.

mdallen22
02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Hunt also was auctioning a Steve Young early-mid 90s home game jersey in their "late additions" sections, which was where the Sanders was located. I called them to ask for additional images and for a better description of the shirt.

After a somewhat convoluted conversation the HUNT representative finally came out and told me that she had no idea if the shirt was game worn or not. It was not easy to elicit that specific response though.

With Wilson NFL jerseys from 1990-1995 my theory is that if the date code is on the same flag tag as the size, as was the case with the Steve Young shirt, it is a retail shirt. I have examined hundreds of jerseys and every single one that had the two letter date code on the size tag was a retail shirt.

Other collectors may have a different opinion about my size and date code flag date theory and I am extremely interested in everyones opinion. If anyone has any jerseys that they believe are gamer worn and have the date code and size on the same flag tag, please post them and the reasons why you consider the shirt game worn. I have attached a number of images showing the difference.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 1994 49er game worn jerseys. Paying a finders fee so please someone make a referral so they can get the finders fee already!!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

You might be onto something. Here is a picture of a game worn Steve Young jersey. If my memory serves me correct it was from the 1994 or 1995 season. I took this picture from a Hall of Fame exhibit currently going on in Pittsburgh. Sorry for the flash, but it was dark inside. This picture may not be good enough to see another tag underneath the 44 size, but there doesn't seem to be one.

They have the 1997 Barry Sanders game used jersey there too!!! I would love to make the HOF an offer on the Sanders, do you think they would even consider anything?

solarlottry
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I have no idea why the images did not appear in my prior post but here they are:

Steve Young home jersey sold by LeLands in their June 2009 auction and listed as a 1993 playoff shirt with Young LOA on 49er letterhead. Note the single size (46) and date code (ES-1992) flag tag.

Steve Young 1993 home jersey from my collection with authentic team letter and "Bronco tape" on nameplate. Note the separate size (44) and date code (FO-1993) flag tags.

The last two images are:

Roger Craig 1990 away game worn jersey with numerous repairs and good game use. Note the size and the date code on separate tags.

Ronnie Lott Raiders jersey sold as game worn. Note the size and date code on same tag. Date code is ES which corresponds to the 1992 season. The Raiders switched from Wilson to Starter brand jerseys beginning with the 1992 season so it is improbable that Lott wore a Wilson jersey manufactured in 1992 when the team had switched to Starter. More probable would be that Lott wore a Wilson with date code of D, which means a 1991 manufacture date.

If anyone else has an opinion with regards to my theory that if the date code and size are on the same flag tag the shirt is retail, please let us know.

Always buying 49er game worn items and paying a finders fee.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com