PDA

View Full Version : Did Vida BLue wear jerseys with his first name on the back?

Vintagedeputy
11-03-2006, 03:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Used-Worn-Jersey-San-Francisco-Giants-Vida-Blue_W0QQitemZ200042170700QQihZ010QQcategoryZ60597 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

seems odd.......

kingjammy24
11-03-2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1071&auctionid=305

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=734&auctionid=108

rudy.

lon lewis
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Vida Blue wore his first name on his jerseys starting in 1975 with the A's and continuing with the Giants from 1978-81. I don't know about his time with the Royals. In 1985 he returned to the Giants and again had Vida for a NOB. I'd be more concerned with the size as Vida was a 42 during his A's and Giants days. It should be noted for you Vida collectors out there that there is a couple of 1985 Giants jerseys floating around that show a set tag showing 14 85 those jerseys were Atlee Hammaker's and have been modified to be Vida's somewhere along the line. Legitimate Vida's were blanks made up and were tagged 85 only. those of you who have 1986 Vida's may have noticed upon close inspection that the NOB apears to have been replaced, changed or altered don't panic as Vida's original order that year had the wrong NOB when made by wilson (BLUE vs VIDA) those jerseys were simply corrected prior to the regular season and thus the extra NOB outline.

weimerskirch
11-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Vintage,

I am in agreement with Lon. Vida did start wearing his first name on his jersey in 1975. The recent Heritage Auction had a green 1973 Oakland A's Vida Blue with "VIDA" on the back. The jersey had original #s but the "A's" and the name "VIDA" were restored. The jersey came with an LOA from...yes you guessed it....Lou Lampson. It also came with an LOA from James Spence. I have owned Vida Blue A's jerseys in the past and I currently have a white 1973 which I purchase from Lelands. It has the name "BLUE" on the back. I have hundreds of photos of the Oakland A's from 1968 to 1976 and I have never seen Vida wear a "VIDA" jersey until 1975.

Mark

metsbats
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
The Baseball Hall of Fame in their publication Memories and Dreams Summer 2004 issue had an article entitled "What's In A Name And A Number?" In this article it listed notable players whose uniforms featured something other than last names

Dick Allen "WAMPUM" A's
Rocco Baldelli "ROCCO" Devil Rays (one game only)
Vida Blue "VIDA" A's, Giants
Wayne Causey "KOOZ" KC A's
Darrel Chaney "NORT" Braves
Ed Charles "ED" KC A's
Billy Conigliaro "BILLY C" A's
Tony Conigliaro "TONY C" Angels
Vic Correll "BIRD DOG" Braves
Bruce Dal Canton "PROF" Braves
Doc Edwards "DOC" KC A's
Jim Grant "MUDCAT" A's
Ken Harrelson "HAWK" KC A's, Indians
Jim Hunter "CATFISH" A's
Andy Messersmith "CHANNEL" & "BLUTO" Braves
Roger Moret "GALLO" Braves
Phil Niekro "KNUCKSIE" Braves
Tom Paciorek "WIMPY" Braves
Jerry Royster "ROOSTER" Braves
Ichiro Suzuki "ICHIRO" Mariners
Carl Taylor "CARL TAYLOR" Cardinals
Earl Williams "HEAVY" Braves
Jimmy Wynn "CANNON" Braves

Would love to see one of the real nickname jerseys!

David

lon lewis
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
for those of you who care about this sort of stuff, the 1963 K.C. A's for the most part had first names or nicknames on their jerseys. probably due to space limitations created by the size of the letters and space on the vest. therefore Gino Cimoli became Gino, Chuck Essigian became Chuck, Norm Siebern Became Norm, Doc Edwards became Doc, Ken Harelson became Hawk,Ed Rakow was Rock, Jose Tartabull was Jose, Moe Drabowski was Moe, Tony LaRussa was Tony, Jimmy Dykes was Jim, Ted Bowsfield was Bows, ect. these jerseys were kind of unique in a another way as they were made of a dureene material similar to football jerseys of that era. Wilson was the mfr and there were up to 4 sets of these jerseys per player. Hartel sports had a large quantity of these jerseys a couple of years ago i don't know if they still do. most all had some restoration to them. Lastly, Johnnie Lemaster of the S.F. Giants played part of one game with "BOO" for a NOB he figured he'd save the fans the time.

TNTtoys
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
The Baseball Hall of Fame in their publication Memories and Dreams Summer 2004 issue had an article entitled "What's In A Name And A Number?" In this article it listed notable players whose uniforms featured something other than last names

Phil Niekro "KNUCKSIE" Braves

Would love to see one of the real nickname jerseys!

David

M&N used to mass produce this one...

both-teams-played-hard
11-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Some nicknames and first names on early 70s basketball game jerseys and warm ups...

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3333/nicknamescopywp5.jpg

MSpecht
11-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I am not sure that Andy Messersmith actually wore the "Channel" name on his jersey, If he did, it was likely for only a game or two.In 1976, Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner suggested the nickname "Channel" for Messersmith and jersey number 17, in order to promote the Turner-owned television station that aired Braves games. Braves games were televised on Channel 17 and Messersmith would be a free advertisement when he pitched as his uniform would read "Channel 17." Major League Baseball quickly nixed the idea.

Mike

metsbats
11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
You are absolutely right Mike. It was only for a game or two until MLB caught on to Ted Turner's free advertising for Channel 47 TBS.

This was mentioned in the Hall of Fame article.

-David

metsbats
11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
You are absolutely right Mike. It was only for a game or two until MLB caught on to Ted Turner's free advertising for Channel 47 TBS.

This was mentioned in the Hall of Fame article.

-David

17 that is.