PDA

View Full Version : Can you trust JO Sports?

hairyangryfella
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
I have heard bad things about them, but just had a browse of their website anyway.

I am attracted to jerseys with really good game use/dirt etc and noticed this Vinny Jackson one:

http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=10964

http://www.josportsco.com/photos/10964_1.jpg

However the image from the game doesn't seem to be quite the same staining - or is it and I just can't see that properly?

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/07/45/34/1988390/9/628x471.jpg

I don't have the money for this anyway, but if I could save up, is it legit enough to get? Apparently comes with a team letter.

Texans
01-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Its looks like a good match to me

Joel_Brock
01-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Can you trust anyone in this industry? Buyer beware.

mad87man
01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
before JO got caught doing what they did they were a very trustworthy place. I personally trust their new stuff b/c most of it comes with COA from the team and JO put videos of stuff coming out of the boxes from them. the older stuff maybe you could have reason to be shady about but new stuff i wouldn't be worried.

Mattapan03
01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
That jersey looks pretty good to me.

gingi79
01-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Vis a vie this jersey or in general? He was indicted for selling fake jerseys. He also sold authentic game worn and photomatched jerseys.

I completely trust exactly zero people. Jerseys speak for themselves, the real ones are real in spite of criminals such as this

slab0meat
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
The top half of the section between the "8" and the "3" doesn't look at all like a match. The dirt stains look completely different to me.

Mattapan03
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
The top half of the section between the "8" and the "3" doesn't look at all like a match. The dirt stains look completely different to me.

It could be that the picture was earlier in the game, and that as the game went on, additional stains maybe have altered what you see in the photo.

timb69
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
How do you know at what point of the game, that that picture was taken? It could still be legit.

hairyangryfella
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
How do you know at what point of the game, that that picture was taken? It could still be legit.

The commentary from the picture was something like "makes a huge catch in the 4th quarter" - after he did most of the staining while catching his TD in the 3rd. He only had 2 catches and one carry in the game (I believe this pic should be talking about his carry as that was in the 4th).

hairyangryfella
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

That's what I was thinking, plus the amount of green sticking down from the top of the 3. Plus the big stain going down the bottom, though this could be from getting tackled on his last touch. I will have to watch a replay of the game.

slab0meat
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
No matter when the picture was, the jersey is cleaner in that area than the picture. Shouldn't the end result be the jersey is dirtier??

slab0meat
01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
To the right of the three, around the shoulder, it looks perfect to me, as well. It's just the middle I don't like.

dplettn
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
My times have changed when it comes to scrutiny of JO Sports. I remember faulting them for blatant things and everybody and droves of collectors would come to their defense.

Personally, something is probably of less interest to me if it was ever owned or distributed by JO Sports. Even if its totally legit. JO Sports having ever handled a jersey just kind of makes me enjoy looking at it less.

Having said that, the scrutiny here of this particular jersey would seem to have greater relevance if the photo being compared to was in high resolution. The difference between seeing an image as shown here in contrast to a high resolution version is dramatic. Cameras and lighting show things in unique ways and its easier to have reasonable confidence in what you think you are seeing if you are looking at it in high resolution.

Samets
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I'll purchase the "bad" Chicago Bears jersey authenticated by JO & with the Bears letter without thinking twice. I know about the past but the team items that came from the team are OK in my book.

Mulligans
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I just pulled the video towards the end of the game.....IMO....The back of the jersey is a perfect match.....Also seems like a pretty good price? The downside is that there are just way too many VJ Charger Jerseys out there.

slab0meat
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Keith Hernandez jersey for sale:

"Keith Hernandez 1985 New York Mets Autographed GAME WORN Jersey but NOT GAME WORN per Game Used Universe
$500.00"

:D

hairyangryfella
01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Well I am pretty convinced by this shoulder shot, however I still don't see/understand where the grass stain at the bottom of the jersey, or the bit sticking down from the top middle of the 3 comes from...

http://hairyangryfella.webs.com/VJ%20screencap.jpg

mad87man
01-27-2013, 12:40 AM
if you look at the pic you can kind of see the green stain there but it looks bunched.

hairyangryfella
01-27-2013, 04:29 AM
if you look at the pic you can kind of see the green stain there but it looks bunched.

The only things I'm unsure of at this point are on the back. The big stain down the bottom right, and the grass marking at the top of the 3. I have heard of JO "creating" their own stains/markings hence why I'm asking about this one.

Mattapan03
03-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Does anyone ever bother with them anymore? I check out their auction from time to time and hardly anything has bids or ever sells. Whats the deal with that company now? They have nothing new coming in

cjackson35
03-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I purchased a game worn Raiders Sebastian Janikowski from them. Came with team letter and everything. HOWEVER, later I had submitted to another auction house and they couldnt not photo match it to ANY Raiders game that year. The spacing of the numbers were different. Fortunately I was able to get a refund from JO. That helped but I will not trust them and their aggressive sales practices any more.

JackHE
03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Irrelevant - and even if you get a "deal" you better do your homework. Their word means nothing.

mad87man
03-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Yes i trust them even without doing homework like i should sometimes. The Jets stuff i have from them all check out and i never had a problem. I feel comfortable to buy from them.

Texans
03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I purchased a game worn Raiders Sebastian Janikowski from them. Came with team letter and everything. HOWEVER, later I had submitted to another auction house and they couldnt not photo match it to ANY Raiders game that year. The spacing of the numbers were different. Fortunately I was able to get a refund from JO. That helped but I will not trust them and their aggressive sales practices any more.

Do you have any pics of the jersey?

Falcon
03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I've gotten my 3 favorite jerseys from JO. All photo matched of course. They've got new stuff, at least Falcons stuff, from time to time but don't always post on there site for whatever reason. Just let them know your interests. And of course always do your homework.

Samets
03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I agree, it appears that they have inventory that they simply don't post to their site for whatever reason... Due to their prices for said inventory, I simply started buying my jerseys from other outlets and get 3-4 jerseys for the price of one of theirs.

nickacs
03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Does anyone ever bother with them anymore? I check out their auction from time to time and hardly anything has bids or ever sells. Whats the deal with that company now? They have nothing new coming in

Yea, they must be getting new stuff, as they have Falcons stuff from last Fall, as well as Ravens Rice jersey from 2 months ago in their latest auction. But their inventory has slowed waaaay down from a couple years ago.
I purchased both a Lewis and Urlacher jersey from them and have had no issues photomatching both to the games they were from.

As everyone says, WITH ANYONE, do your homework first. I wasn't going to buy either of those 2 jerseys if I couldn't photomatch them.

Roady
03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
before JO got caught doing what they did they were a very trustworthy place. I personally trust their new stuff b/c most of it comes with COA from the team and JO put videos of stuff coming out of the boxes from them. the older stuff maybe you could have reason to be shady about but new stuff i wouldn't be worried.

That is correct and they used that trust to steal from people.

xpress34
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
To the original question of the thread, I have a question that should clearly state my feelinga:

Would you use an accountant who had been found guilty of embezzlement?

dcgreg25
03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
In the interest of answering the question this link might be helpful.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/iln/pr/rockford/2011/pr1121_01a.pdf

It is a link to the plea agreement (found via a google search) for Jarrod Oldridge in which he admits to:

(c) Beginning not later than in or about the middle of 2004, the defendant admits that in the name of JO Sports, Inc. or his name, he obtained hundreds of jerseys that were not game used for the purpose of re-sale, consignment, or auction of the jerseys as game used jerseys;

While none of us know the details of the entire story, this is certainly a relevant piece of information.

Vikings_Collector
03-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Gentlemen, hello. my first post here. I recently got into game used items, and as you can tell by the user name, I'm into the Minnesota Vikings. I recently bought a Vikings jersey from JO after doing my own extensive matching. I pretty much photomatched every side of that jersey myself, after what happened with the legal issues. I searched almost everywhere and thankfully there were great photos of it. I will start a thread later to show the pieces I've landed, as I wanna do a bit more homework on a pair of cleats. As far as the Jackson jersey, it ooks like a pretty good match to me.

On a side note, I noticed some members posting clips of NFL games. I would very much like to know how you all did that, or where I can go to purchase/access games for matching purposes. Any help is appreciated!

mad87man
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
nfl game rewind on nfl.com i believe is hot they do it.

Vikings_Collector
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
nfl game rewind on nfl.com i believe is hot they do it.

Awesome. Thanks bud, I will check it out.

EndzoneSports
04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
First off, apologies for my absence over the past several months, but with several significant changes is my life over the past year and a half, I just don't visit this forum much any more...

Though I can't speak to any of the other team partnerships in which JO Sports Co. (JOSC) has been involved, I do know that their contract with the Broncos expired this past year and was not renewed due, at least in part, to their well-publicized legal issues. On a side note, it appears that the Broncos have now partnered with Panini Authentic (see http://www.paniniauthentic.com/memorabilia/denver-broncos-game-used.html).

As we diligently track (confirmed) sales of Broncos' game-used/worn jerseys, we have observed that, over the past several months, JOSC has been conducting a fire sale of sorts... Inventory available directly from their web site at http://www.josportsco.com/list_products.asp?NewSearch=True&SubID=7000000&TeamID=6000030&CatID=0 has seen prices slashed anywhere from 50-65% of their originally listed prices. Additionally, a significant number of items have also been co-listed in true auction format via eBay over the past several weeks with starting bids significantly lower that their sites' already discounted 'sale' prices--in the $100-$200 range--appropriate for the common players' jerseys which are listed. A quick scan of their sold (eBay) listings would seem to indicate that the same holds true for many other teams as well. While I have no particular insight as to what the future holds in store for JOSC, recent actions may possibly indicate a liquidation clearance of inventory or this may simply be purge of the specific inventory or teams with which they no longer do business and thereby have little means of replenishing inventory items (again, with no particular insight aside from the Broncos, I have no idea which other teams have continuing agreements with JOSC and which do not).

On another interesting note, there were three Broncos jerseys offered in the just completed (4/6/13) Goldin Auction(s)--Ayers, Buckhalter & Graham. All were ascribed to having been worn 11/28/10 which falls within the period of JOSC's "exclusive" partnership with the Broncos. In the Goldin Auctions' listing each is noted as having a Denver Broncos COA--the imaged COAs are nearly identical to those issued by JOSC, albeit without either reference to JOSC or the company's hologram. It's possible that these older jerseys were simply held back by the team, never having been transferred to JOSC and then subsequently released following the expiration of their agreement... Not sure on the original sourcing of these.

Mattapan03
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Is my mind playing tricks on me or are these fake jersey's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clinton-Portis-Washington-Redskins-Authentic-Jersey-LOT-OF-12-/271187487620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2408ab84

sox83cubs84
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Is my mind playing tricks on me or are these fake jersey's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clinton-Portis-Washington-Redskins-Authentic-Jersey-LOT-OF-12-/271187487620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2408ab84

From the description, it appears that the lot contains "authentic" jerseys, not game-used/game-issued.

Dave Miedema

gatordeve
04-20-2013, 08:02 PM
i make sure i do some extensive research before i buy anything from JO as i have had them try to rip me off.

that story here lol
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/398380-proof-jo-sports-co-still-ripping-people-off.html

i have yet to receive a response about those gloves..

that being said i have purchased from them a couple times most recently a Louis Murphy GU Raiders jersey last week that I felt was legit

scottishcowboy41
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I bought a game used jersey from JO Sports official Ebay account a recently.

It arrived in the mail today. It's a 2010 white game used Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman jersey, worn against the Giants in November. It came with a Steiner LOA. I am delighted with it to say the least! A fine addition to my Cowboys collection. This is one jersey I will never sell!

I photomatched it 100% using NFL Gamepass and AP and Getty images prior to bidding, so I knew it was legit, aswell as having the correct Steiner paperwork. The communication I had with JO through Ebay was excellent and they were very helpfull. The jersey was well packaged and arrived with me over in the United Kingdom very quickly. In the flesh, the features I used on the jersey to photomatch it fully check out, as does the paperwork. There is even a pressed on patch from JO on the inside of the hem, stating what game it was used in. A nice touch indeed!

And the best part, I got in for $151! I know about JO's past, but in the product and service I received could not have been better. JO in 2013 seems to be doing it right. Their feedback record is excellent too, so other buyers must have been delighted too.

Further note: I am a Cowboys fan and this was the only Dallas jersey they had, but for fans of some other teams, JO had some great NFL game used jerseys at very cheap prices. Most of their Ebay listings seem to start at $150 and although most are low tier players, they had some good-name players available, some even unwashed. They had loads of Raiders, Vikings, Chiefs and Rams gamers. If you collect from those teams, I would check their Ebay site now.