PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics Auction - Pujols Bat

astros*bats
11-01-2006, 10:25 PM
This one is pretty bad. Vintage Authentics is offering a game used Albert Pujols bat in their current auction. This bat was purchased off of the the X-Bats website. All professional model X-Bats have "PRO MAPLE" under the players name, this bat has "PRO TROPHY" signifing it as that, a trophy bat. Recieved an A2 from Mears.

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=76026159&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=76372869

Birdbats
11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Agreed. It's amazing a "Pro Trophy" bat would even be included in any auction as a "game-used" bat, regardless of the grade. I also thought the description was interesting:

Two-tone black and maple Albert Pujols Model 24 pro model X-Bat measures 38.9 oz and 34". It exhibits moderate use throughout with Albert's #5 markered in silver on the knob. There is no documented evidence of Pujols using X-Bats for major league play although it is certainly possible that the bats were made up for Albert for his trial during batting practice or Spring Training. Without the verified knowledge, the bat earns a final grade of 2 overall.

First, there's a typo -- according to the MEARS letter, the bat weighs 30.9 ounces, not 38.9 (Pujols gamers are 31.0-32.5 oz.). Second, the description says there is "no documented evidence of Pujols using X-Bats for major league play." But, the MEARS letter correctly acknowledges Pujols did use X-Bats in 2005 (and that there's no evidence of any having the Dominican Flag). And third, the MEARS letter acknowledges these bats were "offered by the manufacturer for collectors to purchase." That's totally missing from the description.

This is shockingly sloppy work on behalf of the auction house.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

JimCaravello
11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Jeff - I agree with all your comments. I think the MEARS cert. has the proper info regarding the bat - but I would contend that the bat shouldn't even be "certed" - What's a Grade of "2" really mean??

I am not an authenticator, but If I was armed with all these facts, I would not grade it.............

An auction company simply can't rely on a "cert" and deem to title it however they want, without understanding what they are auctioning......

Not knocking MEARS here - just a difference in opinion......

I think it's important for all collectors and auction houses to really understand what the MEARS "cert" says - what it means - how its been graded and the criteria they used to grade the item before its auctioned or bought..............

Auction houses need to do a better job of reading these "certs" and understanding what they are really trying to auction off........

ISUbirdjersey
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Jeff - I agree with all your comments. I think the MEARS cert. has the proper info regarding the bat - but I would contend that the bat shouldn't even be "certed" - What's a Grade of "2" really mean??

I am not an authenticator, but If I was armed with all these facts, I would not grade it.............

An auction company simply can't rely on a "cert" and deem to title it however they want, without understanding what they are auctioning......

Not knocking MEARS here - just a difference in opinion......

I think it's important for all collectors and auction houses to really understand what the MEARS "cert" says - what it means - how its been graded and the criteria they used to grade the item before its auctioned or bought..............

Auction houses need to do a better job of reading these "certs" and understanding what they are really trying to auction off........

Good post and info from both Jim and Jeff. Vintage Authentics needs to clearly state those facts in the actual item description. That way the facts are right there in print and the potential bidders don't have to go online and study the letters to realize what could have been included in the item description. I am sure some bidders with little experience would bid based on the Vintage Authentics item description while never bothering to read the actual MEARS letter until it is too late.

kingjammy24
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
"I am sure some bidders with little experience would bid based on the Vintage Authentics item description while never bothering to read the actual MEARS letter until it is too late."

aside from mears' and vintage's responsibilities, shouldn't there also be some onus on buyers to at least do a sliver of due diligence? if a buyer purchases this bat and is too lazy to read the cert, the "pro trophy" label, or to even educate themselves a tiny bit about pujols bats, then i say they got what was coming.

while i'm not a huge fan of authenticators or auction houses, i'm absolutely bewildered by the number of buyers who will drop serious cash on items they have no clue about; on items they seemingly refuse to educate themselves about.

i think everyone in a sale has responsibilities. mostly though, the focus is on authenticators, sellers, and auction houses. i don't believe buyers who completely fail to do any due diligence ought to get a free pass. it seems that a staggering amount of buyers want someone else to do all the work for them and someone else to blame when they don't do something as simple and obvious as read a cert. they want someone else to give them a guarantee that a $3600 Pujols bat is legit so that they may avoid doing any work themselves. it's little wonder why there's a market for people like lampson.

it's one thing if a seller or authenticator hid facts or engaged in fraud. in this case, the bat is in plain view, the cert is clearly posted, and we're concerned about a buyer being too lazy to read either? i believe there ought to be consequences when someone refuses to employ the slightest common sense. if you're inexperienced, don't go wandering into auctions looking at pujols bats. reminds me of billy crystal dropping $252k on a mantle glove that later turned out to be at least 4 yrs older than he thought. he must've been an auction house's dream: huge checkbook and no clue about what he was bidding on.

rudy.

sportscentury
11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Mike Specht is correct that the hobby could avoid a lot of problems if all LOAs were made readily available for a potential bidder's review. I don't think you should even have to ask to see a LOA - it would be best if they made available on-line for all potential bidders to view at their convenience. If auction houses started to adhere to this practice, I think that they would find that (a) folks would feel more comfortable bidding, and (b) they would avoid many problems with unhappy winning bidders.
Reid

Steve Jensen
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
We have actually been posting all of our LOA's on-line for the 2 years. Wehn clcik on an item, the LOA's that are underlined can be clicked on and read in their entirty.

Best,
Steve